PDA

View Full Version : Problem with AutoRewind

DigiLab
08-18-2004, 07:01 AM
Today I was going through the Tutorial with the SAWStudio demo and I had two tracks of the Multitrack in use. I had engaged the AutoRewind button in the top client area.

All was working as it was suppose to until sometime later it wouldn't rewind. What would happen is that it would get to the end of my 20 second music bed (the length of the whole project) and then just sit there with the (Green) Play button and AutoRewind button still illuminated. I had to hit stop to get it to go into Stop mode and AutoRewind.

What I tracked it down to was, I had unassigned Track 2 from any of the Outputs. (Not sure when I did it but I went searching as at that stage I couldn't hear what was on Track 2).

After I reassigned Track 2 to Output 1 it all worked as it was suppose to. It was repeatable.

So far I have only been through about half of the tutorial and I am continually amazed at the features available at our fingertips with SAWStudio.

I've even come to terms with editing without the "scrubbing" feature I mentioned in my post a week or so ago. :p

Is the "Calculate" and "Apply" DC Offset missing in SAWStudio? I couldn't find it so I used my SAWPro to do that to a file I had been sent.

SAWStudio is a totally amazing piece of software and a whole new way to work.

Jim

TotalSonic
08-18-2004, 08:18 AM
I can't answer in regards to the Autorewind - but as far as DC Offset calibration - this function is not included in SAWStudio - but with today's pro converters and sound cards this is much more of a non-issue than it used to be. If you are having a DC Offset problem I'd invest in power conditioners and possibly look towards replacing your soundcard. For dealing with occasional material sent to me that does have DC Offset I've found that the VST freeware plugin "DC Killer" which is part of the VST utility suite from http://www.tobybear.de/p_utilbag.html works very well. Analog X also offers a freeware DX plugin called "DCOffset" available at http://www.analogx.com/contents/download/audio/dcoffset.htm that does real time analysis and correction.

Best regards,
Steve Berson

Bob L
08-18-2004, 09:58 AM
I can't seem to duplicate the auto-rewind problem that you describe, but I'm inclined to think there is nothing wrong with that... the real issue would be the fact that your system is not auto-stopping for some reason under the conditions you describe.

I have seen some soundcard drivers have issues with waiting for certain buffer release calls in order to stop and reset in the past, but have not heard of these issues for quite a while now.

Can you describe how SAWStudio is setup as to driver model, buffer size and number... is it ASIO or MME, what soundcard... etc.

Does you system stop correctly at the end of a single file placed on the multitrack... this would be the prerequisite for the auto-rewind to work under the condition of running to the end.

If stopping at the end remains a problem with your setup, you may want to simply place a Blank region way down the timeline past the end of your session to avoid the problem while you work... but I would still be interested to find out how to duplicate the problem so I can fix it, if indeed there is something I can do to make the soundcard happy.

Bob L

DigiLab
08-18-2004, 07:25 PM
Bob,

I am running the SAWStudio Demo. It is on a machine which has a Soundblaster Live! card. Driver model is set at Standard Multimedia, Buffers are set at Out 4/1024.

The system works perfectly as long as I have all tracks, (I was only using 2), assigned to an Output. If I use any number of tracks and assign them to Outputs they all work fine. If I try and use only a single track and try to unassign it I get the "No Active track is assigned to a valid Output" message box. So, the problem only occurs if one of the tracks is not assigned to an output buss.

I just added a third track and set it up so that Tracks 1 and 2 were unassigned to any output and track 3 was assigned to Output 1 and got the same results .. no stop or rewind. Assign them all to an output and it all works fine.

I just noticed that while it is sitting at the end of the play waiting to stop and Autorewind the "MT Load" keeps jumping between 00% and 01% which in this case is the same as what it does while it is playing.

I wondered whether the same thing happened in SAWPro but on just checking there is no way to not have a track assigned to any output.

Jim

Bob L
08-18-2004, 08:44 PM
Ok, now I see what's going on... unassigning active tracks is what is causing the loop to wait at the end.

I'll actually look into it... I can duplicate it.

You don't need to un-assign tracks to keep them out of the mix... you have many ways to hear only certain track combinations... the mute switches... the solo switches... and the track number selection feature (left-Click a track number to turn it black).

And, you can also use the track disable feature on the Global Track properties menu (right-click a track label area).

Bob L

DigiLab
08-19-2004, 05:37 AM
Bob,

I wouldn't normally unassign tracks from an output and I just happened to have done it (even though I don't remember doing so) in this case.

I'm glad you were able to duplicate it, just so you could see what was happening.

Thanks.

Jim