PDA

View Full Version : Something weird happening....

AudioAstronomer
08-18-2004, 04:49 PM
Ok, I am recording through mixer channels. I have channel 1-8 set the appropriate devices for input, set the record meter to record from those mixer channels. I have some plugins, some eq etc.. Need them to be recorded (else it would take forever to render them all in this specific project, with well over 3200 tracks slated to record with effects applied).

Now I set a record template, if that matters to duplicate this.

When I hit record (with srp/rec latch on), it acts like it's recording... shows the block as it moves...

but when I hit stop, the maroon recording block is still there and no region. I change F-keys and whammo, screen is clear.

I cant seem to figure out what's happening here... Can anyone duplicate this?

edit: Meters respond perfectly, and audio is output properly. If I set it to live mode, audio moves through fine and is played back with effects intact. Simply no recording takes place! No regions are created.

canipus
08-18-2004, 06:40 PM
Is this happening after you tried rebooting so that the card drivers and system memory is reset?

AudioAstronomer
08-18-2004, 07:03 PM
Yes :(

MMP
08-18-2004, 07:06 PM
How much available hard disk space?

MM

Bob L
08-18-2004, 07:08 PM
Robert,

Are you using 3.8a?

Does it work if you take the latch OFF and press SRP, then Record as a punch-in?

Bob L

AudioAstronomer
08-18-2004, 07:29 PM
3.8a yes.

Doesnt matter if latched or not :(

Im going to setup a new project and do it over to see what happens...

Disk-space is fine, Im using an external drive I always use when setting up and testing templates etc.. 37.8gb left on it

AudioAstronomer
08-18-2004, 07:30 PM
Also note, if I set the input to a device input, everything records fine.

Bob L
08-18-2004, 08:38 PM
Ok, perhaps its a routing thing then... you said you were recording plugins... could one of these plugins be holding back buffers... adding latency?

Try bypassing all plugins and perhaps we'll narrow this down.

Bob L

AudioAstronomer
08-18-2004, 08:45 PM
I tried on two other computers, with these exact steps. same result.

New project.

Name tracks 1-8

Set track 1 input source to Device 1

set track 1 to mono, right only.

set track 2 input source to device 1

set track 2 to mono, right only.

Repeat for tracks 3-8 using incremented device numbers as necassary

Switch to my recording f-key (has clear space for meters and what not)

Arm track 1 recording.

Set input to mixer channel, channel 1

Repeat for tracks 2-8 to their own channel.

Ctrl-close the meter view

Save record template

Ctrl-click record button for track 1 (record template loads perfectly)

Set effects as necassary so they are printed on the track.

hit space to begin SRP/REC (latched)

Do whatever I need done, while listening to playback live, and recording

Hit space, or stop to stop recording.

At this point, the block that signifies recording is occuring is still there. No regions are rendered at all. If I change to another f-key, the maroon block is gone, and all the tracks are empty as if I had just opened a blank project. Labels, effects and everything is intact.... but no regions, no audio data.

I might also note that the files are created, and they contain the recorded information (though I have not checked to see if it is valid), along with the proper WPD files. They simply are not rendered as regions in sawstudio.

AudioAstronomer
08-18-2004, 08:49 PM
With no plugins, it still occurs. I beleive I have done this exact thing in the past on a smaller scale with perfect results.

Id love to simply switch to device inputs for recording, but certain fx must be applied to certain tracks, and this will be repeated 587 times, over 8 tracks, times 2 different rooms, 30 seconds per repetition. That's A LOT of rendering files to get the fx printed to the source tracks.

AudioAstronomer
08-18-2004, 08:52 PM
Also note, I already did this entire process (project) with device inputs rather than mixer channel inputs and everything worked great, just used outboard before the pre's.... Id love to run and grab some outboard to get it done, but this is on a laptop for this run-through :-\

Bob L
08-18-2004, 11:28 PM
I tried your test... worked fine here... your test said to set chan 1 and 2 to mono R Only... I assumed you meant L Only and R Only... alternating L and R down the line... but I tried both ways just in case... all worked fine.

Are the regions appearing in the Regions view but not in the MT?

Is the disk drive lighting as its recording? One thing that will stop regions from creating is if the final disk file length stayed at zero.

Check the File setup in the Record meter view and make sure its pointing to a legitimate drive and folder.

Try this recording to a local drive rather than the external drive...

I'm pretty stumped... but I'd sure like to settle this so I can fix it if in fact there is something I need to fix.

Bob L

AudioAstronomer
08-19-2004, 09:33 AM
I tried your test... worked fine here... your test said to set chan 1 and 2 to mono R Only... I assumed you meant L Only and R Only... alternating L and R down the line... but I tried both ways just in case... all worked fine.

Are the regions appearing in the Regions view but not in the MT?

Is the disk drive lighting as its recording? One thing that will stop regions from creating is if the final disk file length stayed at zero.

Check the File setup in the Record meter view and make sure its pointing to a legitimate drive and folder.

Try this recording to a local drive rather than the external drive...

I'm pretty stumped... but I'd sure like to settle this so I can fix it if in fact there is something I need to fix.

Bob L

Sorry, I did mean L and R per channel.

The disk is being written to, files are generated, and they have recorded information.

nothing in the regions view.

File setup is correct.

Just tried to a local drive, same thing.

It also lets me do retake as if something was recorded (unless I change f-key views, in which case, it acts like nothing happened!).

I can reproduce this on my daw, my laptop daw and my gaming computer. That's 3 different internal drives, and the same external.

I realized last night it was a big directory structure, so I did tests in various folders. Same thing.

It only is happening if I try to record from mixer channels :( I have till 8pm tonight to get this fixed, panic is setting in! AHH! Ill relax *breath*, must relax. It must be my problem somewhere, just gotta find it...

AudioAstronomer
08-19-2004, 12:13 PM
I just got it to work on another computer... Still not working on either of my DAW's

Ack...

Yura
08-19-2004, 12:39 PM
Strange. just following your steps.
I got this bug easy when using Standard multimedia driver instead of ASIO with my M-Audio card. nothing more.

Bob L
08-19-2004, 01:17 PM
You got it to work on one computer... now the question is what's different about the other systems that breaks it... and why does it work on all of my computers and your one computer... something perhaps in the Windows setup that you are using?

My guess there might be something about the default routing you use... have you saved a default mix template to reconfigure your default console setup... try clearing any default Mix Template and boot the program as I default things... then try the test... something is different.

Bob L

AudioAstronomer
08-19-2004, 03:39 PM
Strange. just following your steps.
I got this bug easy when using Standard multimedia driver instead of ASIO with my M-Audio card. nothing more.

I think that might be close... I changed to mme and it works fine... but I cant get usable latencies outside of ASIO with either of the external cards I have

Bob L
08-19-2004, 03:41 PM
Ok,

So you think this is related to ASIO only?

Are you using the ASIO Skip First Buffer? Perhaps that is causing a problem.

Bob L

TimK
08-19-2004, 03:50 PM
You have to record the live input channels on to other tracks. Assign the inputs from the record meter input menu. "mixer channels"

Yura
08-19-2004, 03:51 PM
this bug has seeped through my fingers!!

I cant see it in 3.7. after trying in 3.7 I missed to see it in 3.8... :confused:
not too easy to cach

AudioAstronomer
08-19-2004, 08:23 PM
I am working on the project at this moment... I got it working by recording from mixer channel 1, onto track 9... 2 to 10, 2 to 11 etc... Like TimK said. I have recorded straight onto the channel it's recording from in the past with no problems. This at least lets me bypass effects on playback as well.

Yes Im using ASIO skip. when I get a moment I will try without. It was common between all my test machines so It maybe ...

I cant wait for the new engine update to make this stuff soooooo much easier.

Yura
08-19-2004, 08:31 PM
btw I at momnt was wondering why u used such a setup: track#n=record chan=#n ??

I exctly have defined that this bug not appears if to record less then 3 (mono) tracks.