PDA

View Full Version : dual cpu MT freeze problem solved?

bit
08-01-2006, 09:34 AM
Today I opened the RME totalyzer tool that comes with digicheck. After about 5 seconds the MT window froze while vertical zooming using page-up. I was able to duplicate the crash over and over. I decided to install the affinity tool. After that it was a little harder to crash the MT window, but eventually it would still crash. Then I decided to uncheck the peak data memory caching. And what do you know. I couldn't make that window crash no matter how hard I tried. Checked the peak data caching back on, and the the crash was there. So there is definately some connection here. A peak data memory leak perhaps.??:o - I didn't seem to loose any performance with the caching off.
my setup is:
Dual AMD 2400MP+
Matrox G450
HDSP9652
Asus something MB (3-4 years old)
1 gb Ram
Bjorn

Bob L
08-01-2006, 11:35 AM
The peak data mem cache would only affect display performance on large MT screen redraws... you would loose no playback performance with it off.

I will look into that thread and see if I can notice something... it may be a link... in most all cases that option is defaulted ON for most people.

Bob L

MMP
08-06-2006, 06:11 AM
Like most bugs, I don't think it is that simple, because I can still get the freeze without the caching on. I do believe it has to do with the screen memory being overwritten, but I think the sources of the corruption are many. Peak data caching & plugins with large latencies are two areas where I see patterns. I have also seen the bug rarely when using a single processor!

That is what makes debugging anything so difficult, my brain wants it to be a single issue at fault, while the truly hard things to fix are when multiple things have gone wrong. This can make debugging strategies fail, because each additional cause creates an exponential rise in things to try and eliminate.

I do hope your system is fixed. Mine continues to be unstable in dual mode with the video driver affinity set and peak caching off.

Regards,

MM

Arco
08-08-2006, 01:59 PM
My situation seems to have been greatly helped by the "fix" although I did have an occurrence yesterday. My problems seemed to be linked to MWS--at some point (though rarer now) popping that MWS screen over my regular MT layout (Ctr-Fkey) will cause a corrupting window.

Final assessment: my problem went from not-so-bad to a rare nuisance.