PDA

View Full Version : OT: PCI to Cardbus Bridge

Tree Leopard
08-05-2006, 12:46 AM
I was just trying out an minimal install on my IBM T40 laptop and it looks like the controllers for the PCI to Cardbus bridge got lost in the works. In this case, I'm using a 2 x FW cardbus card (made by Swann).

I've experimented with various installations on this and similar machines, using a number of utilities to reduce XP down to a small but very fast and functional install. I have a full set of updated IBM driivers and BIOS updates. This is the first time I've come across this particular problem. Also, I just don't remember having ever needed to load special drivers from a CD.

I'm assuming a default install of XP must include a set of generic controllers for PCI cardbus. I've looked at various forums but opinions vary wildly about how to deal with this problem.

Any clarification appreciated. I was planning to test out the FX-Teleport with SAW this weekend, as well.

Andre

DominicPerry
08-05-2006, 03:02 AM
You will definitely need some manufacturer specific support for your PCI/Cardbus chipsets - the default XP install will just get you running/limping. All the IBMs should come with a driver disk but the IBM website will have them too. Think yourself lucky - my Clevo has only one suitable driver and no support from anywhere.:) At least there are a lot of T40s out there and lots of help on the web. Good luck.

Dominic

Tree Leopard
08-05-2006, 05:41 AM
Hi Dominic,

I had too re-install in the end. I'd realized I'd used a "tweak n' shred" template that is pretty severe - no networking services etc - idiot! :rolleyes: But as an install for a stand alone machine it screams - just 360 MB or so on the HD and minimal RAM usage.

It turns out the Swann unit (distrubited here in OZ) uses TI parts, so the Texas Instruments PCI-1520 Cardbus Controller included as part of the generic XP package does the shot. (Thank God.)

Thanks for your reply. Good luck with your Clevo!

Andre

DominicPerry
08-05-2006, 07:21 AM
Andre,

Glad you got it going. The only problem with the Clevo PCI Chipset stuff it that when I install it, it sees the internal soundcard and MAKES ME install the drivers, even when the thing is disabled. And it has a SD/CF/etc reader attached to the PCI bus which is so slow, its a joke - it doesn't make any sense, it should be lightning fast, but it ain't. And no support. No big deal, I just have to wait an hour for my photos to transfer.

Dominic

Tree Leopard
08-05-2006, 08:30 AM
... and most likely Prentiss & MacCabe (http://www.bbc.co.uk/comedy/guide/articles/a/absolutepower_999031110.shtml) handled the marketing.

Just got through a bunch of LAN hoops having to manually flush / renew DNS and re-assign IP addresses ... blablabla ... now we're on to a firewire issue. Interesting way to spend a winter's night.

Andre

DominicPerry
08-05-2006, 08:38 AM
I have an old Teac A3340S sitting in the corner. Every time I get fed up with how much time I'm wasting on IT problems, I get it out, cable it up and if I haven't lost my temper already, record something on it. I'm always quickly convinced of the value of SAW on a '*!#$ ('@!#$)@ PC.:)

Dominic

Tree Leopard
08-05-2006, 09:00 AM
I have an old Teac A3340S sitting in the corner. Every time I get fed up with how much time I'm wasting on IT problems, I get it out, cable it up and if I haven't lost my temper already, record something on it. I'm always quickly convinced of the value of SAW on a '*!#$ ('@!#$)@ PC.:)

DominicExactly. How much can a Koala bear? (sorry, that was pretty bad)

Andre