PDA

View Full Version : Looking at SAW.. have a question for Bob (and others)

Michael Naz
08-14-2006, 11:31 PM
Hi,

I just joined the group. I've been taking a serious look at SAW and love what I've seen so far. I've been playing with the demo, watching the videos and tutorials, and doing a lot of research here on the forum.

I'm curious about what most of you use for effects when mixing in SAW. From what I've read searching the forum it looks like most use the console EQ and compressor and some of the native plugins.

Bob, I've been listening to some of the music you've mixed in SAW and it really sounds GREAT! In the videos where you mix the live band you just used the built in effects and Levelizer. For most of your mixes in SAW do you use all native plugins or are there are any VST or DX plugins that you also use?

Thanks! This forum is a great resource and I'm sure I'll have a lot more questions ..

Michael

Bob L
08-15-2006, 12:11 AM
I tend to go easy on effecting my mixes.

I do use a fair amount of the console eq... I have listened and tested it against many other hardware and software eq and I am extremely happy with the results it delivers... especially for general channel eq.

I do have my favorite technique of cross delay stereo for most mono instruments... this helps open up my mixes to the style that you will hear again and again in my work.

I mostly use my reverb with a few of the chambers... the Anwida Spazio verb is pretty nice also... then change the verbs by adjusting the decay and adding the graphic eq after the return to change the sound of the chambers based on the music.

I also have the Anwida modulator plugs for any phasing, chorusing and flanging effects used on keyboards and guitars mostly.

I tend to go easy on compression and do most of my leveling with the fader automation... much more acurate control that way in my opinion.

The native plugs from JMS and Sonoris are a great addition also.

The final mix and mastering is done solely with the Levelizer for most all of my projects.

To be honest... I feel completely covered with that setup and truly don't miss a thing from my days in the large expensive studio control rooms with the big Trident and Harrison boards I used to work on. :)

Bob L

johndale
08-15-2006, 02:41 AM
Bob, are you speaking of the "Haa's Effect when you speak of "cross delay stereo"? Like this here. A effect achievable with a delay plugin is the so-called Haas effect. This effect is founded by the following psycho-acoustic experience: if a sound reaches one ear, and the same sound reaches the other ear but with a time shift of 15-40 milliseconds, only one sound is heard, but with a spatial feeling. The Haas effect (also known as Cross Delay Stereo, which refers to the means by which the effect is created) is widely used by mixing engineers to avoid their mixes being "pan-potted mono", or to "stretch out" their otherwise mono guitar, vocal etc. tracks in space. This effect is a great alternative to reverberation (although it produces a noticeably different quality).

John...

trock
08-15-2006, 07:14 AM
Bob

can you go into some detail on your cross stereo delay uses? i have used this to great effect on my stereo wav drum track, it really brings out the kick and snare. i set the right to 23ms, turn the left to 0, turn the effect all the way up and set to cross

do you use this for say elec guitars, bass, or acoustic guitars?? do you ever use on a vocal??

also if you ever have time and could go into your eq/reverb/eq'ing the tail that would be great too.

i am all ITB now and these are things i want to learn more about.

maybe we could put up a "techniques" part on this forum?

thanks

Tim

Bob L
08-15-2006, 07:52 AM
The band demo video demonstartes how I use the echo plugin to create the cross delay...

Yes, the effect is as described John.

I vary the delay for different effects and different music styles, but the idea is just that.... and I will use it on different instruments crossing from left to right, then the next from right to left to balance the mix out... you just must be careful that the mix translates back to mono correctly without major phase problems and instrument cancelling.... play the mix back and press the mono button on the output track as you listen in phones for instrument cancellations... adjust your delays if this happens.

Bob L

trock
08-15-2006, 10:41 AM
thats cool

thanks bob!

mikebuzz
08-15-2006, 11:43 AM
The Saw stereo delay has become my GOTO fx for lead VOX , I use the cross with about 60-70 on one side and double that on the other ( depending on the tempo of the song ) my singer who HATES FX loves it SO ????

LAter
Buzz

PS: I also use SIR reverb , Blockfish compressor ( great crunch comp. ) some chorus plugs from Voxengo ( they have lots of good free plugs ) and also the C3 multiband comp. from ????

Michael Naz
08-16-2006, 12:39 AM
Thanks Bob!

I had a feeling that you were using mostly your own or other native plugs. I watched you use the cross stereo delay effect in the video and thought is sounded excellent, even through the compressed video.

One of the reasons I'm interested in this is that there's an overwhelming number of plugins and effects available now and most of them tout their analogue sound. Lots of saturation, coloring, warming, etc. But I'm getting the feeling that these are not as necessary when mixing with SAW because of it's high quality audio engine. Plus the fact that the built in effects sound great already.

I'll have more questions forthcoming..

Michael

Microstudio
08-16-2006, 02:59 PM
Welcome to the Forum!

The Cross Delay is great and it comes with SS which is even greater!

Keep your questions coming, we are here to help.

Michael Naz
08-17-2006, 10:34 PM
Welcome to the Forum!

The Cross Delay is great and it comes with SS which is even greater!

Keep your questions coming, we are here to help.

Thanks Micro! I'm sure that I'll have plenty of questions.. So far I'd have to say that besides the workflow and overall sound of SawStudio I'm also loving the sound of the built in effects.. very nice!