PDA

View Full Version : M-Audio JamLab

Hannu R
08-25-2006, 03:25 AM
Has anyone tried it? How it works with Saw? Or is there something better to use? I've been looking something simple USB soundcard to use with my laptop and i don't realy need much more than guitar input and stereo output.

Bob L
08-25-2006, 07:41 AM
I have very good luck using the M-Audio Firewire Solo and 410 devices. They both work well with the ASIO drivers and offer internal monitor routing, making things easier, even at high latencies.

Bob L

Hannu R
08-25-2006, 08:41 AM
Thanks Bob!

That solo device might be good for me.
It would be so nice if i just could push my Mixtreme in this machine.... Well, i'm just dreaming.

razor
08-29-2006, 10:29 PM
We've been using the M audio fast track 2 ch guitar mic USB interface and its been no problem with SAW.

Cheers

Phil

Hannu R
08-30-2006, 08:28 AM
That fast track is one i have been interested in. Is GT Player Express software good for guitar recording?

razor
08-31-2006, 02:30 AM
That fast track is one i have been interested in. Is GT Player Express software good for guitar recording?

The students just use it as an audio interface into SAW.

Can't comment haven't played with the software.

Looks kind of interesting.

Cheers

Phil

Bill Park
08-31-2006, 06:21 AM

I ran the beta of GT Player, which wasn't bad and was fun. (Won't replace my Fulltones and such, but respectable.) It is not a recorder, it is a multieffects processor in software.

Never used Fast Track recording software, but I see where it and GT Player are bundled with a cheap MAudio interface.

In my experience, the MAudio stuff is reliable and workable. Of course, anybodys bottom of the line gear is questionable. But MAudio is a good company, with a good line of products.

I think that you need to seperate your needs though. Like buying a swiss army knife, buying a single solution for a bunch of audio tasks can lead to having a bunch of mediocre to poor tools, doing none of the tasks particularly well.

And there are many low budget easy to handle small interfaces. the Tascam US 122 (and I hear that there is now a 144) is probably in the same pricerange as the MAudio box, and contains a lite version of Gigastudio and Cubase bundled in... which could be a better deal, though Cubase is not my favorite software (and I should note here that it is probably the most popular in the world.... just not with me.) There is the Transit. The Presonus Inspire.The RME Multiface II or Fireface 400. The USBPre. Lots of options.

Still, my favorite way to record guitar is to plug in a good guitar into a good amp, through some good pedals, put a good mic in front of the cabinet, run the works through good mic pres and converters into a good computer running good software. Sounds much better to my ears than any simulations.

Bill

Hannu R
08-31-2006, 07:07 AM
I know that GT Player isn't recorder and i ment to ask how it sounds. Im just looking something portable that i can use when im not near my main DAW and guitar amp. So it's not for "serious" recording. My Mixtreme, Marshall JMP-1 with JFX-1 and ofcourse Saw Basic are for that. But thanks for your answers.

Bill Park
08-31-2006, 08:38 AM
Well, I had a lot of fun with GT Player.

Bill