PDA

View Full Version : Live Mode bug

Cary B. Cornett
08-25-2006, 07:54 AM
In testing Live Mode at the theater last night we discovered that if, while in Live Mode, you click in the track name area SAW will freeze (has to be shut down from Task Manager). The name entry box pops up, but you can't type into it and you can't get out of it. If it is not possible to allow name entries to be made in Live mode, can this at least be trapped so that you CAN'T cause this freeze?

thanks

Bob L
08-25-2006, 08:53 AM
This does work fine on my systems... something else may be interfering... you can enter track labels while in live mode.

Be careful of specialized video driver settings for dual monitor adjustment of dialog box placements and things... these have been known to mess around with standard Windows dialog functions in odd ways.

Try to enter labels on another system in Live Mode... see if the problem is there also.

Bob L

Cary B. Cornett
08-25-2006, 10:19 AM
Try to enter labels on another system in Live Mode... see if the problem is there also.
OK, I just tried it on my oldest DAW unit, and it works fine, just at you said.

I guess some more detail is in order.

The affected system is my new machine, built up on an ASUS A8N-VM mobo with an AMD Athlon 64 3200+ and 2 512 meg sticks of Crucial ram. Sound card is an RME HDSP 9652.

Video may well be where things get dicey. Because the onboard video would not give me the desktop space I wanted, I installed a Connect3D video card that uses the ATI Radeon X300 chipset. I never tested Live mode with track labels on my previous DAW (which also has an ATI Radeon, but the 7500 AGP), so I don't know if it may be an ATI related problem.

I am going to take a closer look at the video driver setup (I did not uninstall the old drivers since the onboard video is automgically disabled by the BIOS when a video card is installed).

BTW, the machine I just tried where it DID work has only the onboard video, no ATI card...

Any other ideas?

thanks!

Bob L
08-25-2006, 07:37 PM
I have many systems with ATI cards of many styles... they work fine.

My suggestion is something interfering with the edit dialog... many video cards have options to automatically control dialog box placement for dual monitors and other reasons... try turning these options off if you might have them on.

Bob L

Cary B. Cornett
08-26-2006, 06:59 AM
I have many systems with ATI cards of many styles... they work fine.

My suggestion is something interfering with the edit dialog... many video cards have options to automatically control dialog box placement for dual monitors and other reasons... try turning these options off if you might have them on.
I can look at that... but why would such an option cause trouble ONLY when Live Mode is engaged? I have no trouble at all when the engine is stopped.

Bob L
08-26-2006, 07:29 AM
Not sure why some of these do what they do in Windows... and not sure if that would cause the trouble... but its a place to start looking.

Is the problem always re-creatable... was it just a fluke that night?

Bob L

Cary B. Cornett
08-28-2006, 05:46 AM
Is the problem always re-creatable... was it just a fluke that night?So far I can do it every time.

Bob L
08-28-2006, 10:06 AM
Perhaps there is something about that particular edl setup.

What if you start with a clean session... then make only track 1 a live input device.

Go Live and see if that still messes up when you try to enter the label.

Bob L

Cary B. Cornett
08-31-2006, 01:06 PM
... make only track 1 a live input device.

Go Live and see if that still messes up when you try to enter the label.

Bob LI just tried exactly what you said, and it does not hang up. So far as I can tell, no problem at all running that test. I will have to look into this more later (gearing up for another rehearsal tonight).

Cary B. Cornett
09-03-2006, 02:35 PM
Last night at the theater my son did some further testing. This time, he had the Behringer BCF2000 fader pack connected and running (we are using it as a mix controller for the show, and even my son, who was skeptical of the wisdom of mixing with the computer at first, has decided he likes it). He started a fresh clean session, saved the EDL name, then put it in Live mode and tried to enter a track label. SAW froze. Re-starting the program was not enough, as the fader pack would no longer respond to the session. It was necessary to do an entire re-boot of the computer to get things working again.

All this suggests to me that the bug probably involved a conflict with the BCF2000.

I would like to ask anyone in this group now using a BCF2000, in fact anyone using ANY fader controller, to test for this problem so that I can see if it affects systems other than my own.

thanks

Bob L
09-03-2006, 03:07 PM
Well... until this is figured out... I guess you should only enter labels when the engine is stopped. :)

I don't use control surfaces, and I don't have one setup anymore to test... sorry.

Bob L