PDA

View Full Version : Tranzport & timing???

Car 24
08-26-2006, 05:54 PM
Today I installed the Tranzport software and took it for a trial run. Everythings OK when playing back previously recorded material.

When recording a track: problems! After recording the track OK (everything sounds good in the headphones); I play back the track. As the track plays back, it gets farther and farther behind the timing of the song as if I had the Sonoris Pitch Time plug active (which none of the tracks were using).

I searched the forum for this phenomenom and didn't see anything like this.

Any suggestions.

Bob L
08-26-2006, 06:04 PM
This is most likely not connected to the Tranzport.

Tracks that are slipping time may be a sign of dropping buffers... make sure your system can handle the buffer settings... you may have to raise the buffer size.

Also... many have misunderstood the number of buffers setting... it is explained in the helpfile in detail.

The output number along with the buffer size dictates playback latency... for the input devices, the input number of buffers does not contribute to latency and should be left at about 6-8... the buffer size should be set to match the out buffer size.

Without the 6-8 buffers for input, Windows can easily run into problems and drop buffers on the recording if anything interrupts the program threads... which can happean all the time... the extra input buffers allow some freewheeling time before the threads must come around again to ask the program for more input buffers to stuff incoming data into... if you only use 1 or 2 input buffers, you can be asking for recording glitches.

Bob L

Car 24
08-26-2006, 07:25 PM
Thanks for the quick feedback. My buffers are 3/128 input and 4/128 output. These are the settings I've been using with this computer for the past 10 months.

Only (2) things have changed: I purchased a new flat panel monitor and installed the Tranzport. Both of these changes occured since the last time I recorded.

Still think it could be the input buffer?

Bob L
08-26-2006, 09:01 PM
Definitely change the input buffer count to 6-8 and see what happens... now that you do have the usb Tranzport driver involved, it could stealing added cpu cycles and pushed you over the edge.

I would never recommend an input buffer count below 6.

Bob L

Car 24
08-26-2006, 10:22 PM
Thanks Bob,

You were right again; had to change the input buffer to 8 and the output to 6.

Records fine now.

I just remembered another change to my system: added a Logitech wireless keyboard & mouse that runs off of a bluetooth device plugged into a USB port.

You are a kick ass provider!

Bob L
08-27-2006, 12:24 AM
The wireless mouse and keyboard could be the real issue here... it will be cycling the cpu constantly and that could have made the difference.

If you don't mind the extra latency then leave things as they are... but you may find you can get back to the lower output latency with a wired keyboard and mouse.

Bob L

Ollie
08-27-2006, 08:09 AM
The wireless mouse and keyboard could be the real issue here... it will be cycling the cpu constantly and that could have made the difference.

If you don't mind the extra latency then leave things as they are... but you may find you can get back to the lower output latency with a wired keyboard and mouse.

Bob L

Excellent point. I never thought about this, but it would have to cycle the cpu all of the time.