PDA

View Full Version : Save during playback

Naturally Digital
08-23-2004, 08:35 PM
Hi guys. :) (BTW: unless I missed it, you girls never replied to my question :rolleyes: )

<sheepishly> I know this has been discussed before but I'd like to bring it up again... :p

Bob, is there ANY available overhead to be able to offer a snapshot save of the console during playback? Just a single-keystroke, very 'background' sort of save...? ;)

Am I beating a dead horse here (pardon the expression)? ... most likely yes, I'm sure. I'd guess that if this feature could be built-in, it would have been ages ago... Please forgive me for bringing it up again.

I guess that for me, this is one of the few things that feels different between my digital mixer and SAWStudio... my digital mixer will reboot with my settings the way I left them before it powered down. They don't need to be saved to memory (manually). This is somewhat comforting.

Perhaps this simply requires a mindset adjustment on my part. I'm so used to saving after every single little change (from bad experiences in other software) that... well, I'm sure you get the picture. Fact is, SAW will just keep playing and playing and playing, this I know. As I said, it's a mindset thing.

The revolution continues! :D

Thank you for listening,
Dave.

Bob L
08-23-2004, 09:01 PM
There are many threads active during playback and many buffers and pointers are locked down... the code is not organized to be able to save while all that is happening.

I could re-design the engine with that in mind... but personally I never felt it mattered.

The fact is... you are using a computer and you should get in the habit of saving after any major changes... definitely you should save and update the session before closing it down... doing so during playback does not really offer much in the way of any bonus, in my opinion. Stop playback... update session... start playback... it really doesn't hurt much...

Re-designing the code and re-writing all the thread and pointer stuff that would need to change to save during playback... would hurt... a lot. :)

Bob L

AudioAstronomer
08-24-2004, 01:15 AM
I tend to keep multiple stems. ever major change I do a save-as with new name... everytime my left hand is free, It ctrl-s. Major change, new edl again... etc..

It keeps things categorized for me. make it habit and everything is always where I want it to be, frozen in time.

Angie
08-25-2004, 09:21 AM
Hi guys. :) (BTW: unless I missed it, you girls never replied to my question :rolleyes: )

I must have missed the question.
:confused: