PDA

View Full Version : triggering VST instument with keyboard via Midi

BillyK
09-10-2006, 05:46 PM
I've been using Saw products for a long time but I am new to using VST instruments.

I downloaded the Kontakt2 demo which and I am trying to figure out how to trigger it via a Roland keyboard I have plugged in through my USB Midisport.

I can put Kontakt into live mode and get audio out of it.. but I can't figure out how to trigger it with my Roland keyboard. I've gone to the "Options Menu" and selected the A port of my USB Midisport.

The Roland keyboard is transmitting on Midi Channel 1.. though I am really not certain where to select a midi control input on the Kontakt VST instrument. On the main Kontakt view there is a section that says "Midi Ch: (A) 1" which seems to line up with what I have assigned in SawStudio.

I must be missing something easy and stupid.. so.. please tell me what it is??

Thanks,

BillyK

Bob L
09-10-2006, 07:28 PM
You must assign the midi port to the VST instrument patch itself... not the main Options menu midi assignment.

At the top of the VST Patch window, click on the Blue Pyramid icon and use the first menu option called "Set SoftSynth Midi In Port".

Then activate Live Mode and play away with your midi keyboard.

You can also use the Midi WorkShop Add-in if you need midi sequencing and then assign the VST synth to one of the MWS Virtual Ports, then do the same on a midi track in the MWS... this then connects the two together, allowing you to play and record midi data in the MWS that connects and plays the sounds thru the VST synth.

Bob L

BillyK
09-10-2006, 08:17 PM
Thanks Bob.. I knew it would be something simple like that.. I was looking everywhere on Kontakt.. EXECEPT in the blue diamond... DOHHHHHH!

Tim Miskimon
09-10-2006, 08:32 PM
Thanks from me as well. Now I can try some software synths!

BillyK
09-10-2006, 08:54 PM
Ok. since I am not the only one playing around with this now.. let me ask this...

For kicks I downloaded a midi file of a song I like. Imported that file into MWS and used it to trigger the Kontakt VST synth. I "armed" track 1 of SawStudio into Record mode and began the midi file playing through Kontakt in "live mode" thinking that I was recording actual audio onto track 1.

When I attempted to playback from track 1 on SawStudio I realized there was no wave file recorded there but apparently it recorded midi information because I began to see the "keys" play on the Kontakt window.

What are the steps to rendering that midi file playing the VST Synth into an actual wave file for use in the SS Multitrack?

If there is a thread that discusses this process please point me to it.. I did a little searching but havent been able to locate an explaination of this process yet.

Thanks again..

BK

Bob L
09-10-2006, 08:59 PM
If the MWS track is playing the VST sytnh ok... then all that needs be done is to use the buildmix option with that VST SAWStudio track and the MWS track selected (Track numbers clicked black).

Use the BuildMix to HotTrack option and select a blank track... different from the VST track... this will render the audio from the synth faster than realtime.

You could also arm any track for record and actually record the playback in realtime... but you have to pick the VST Mixer channel as the record source on the record meter... but its the faster than realtime rendering that becomes the way to work, in my opinion, when rendering midi data to audio.

Bob L