PDA

View Full Version : What would you do?

gaustin
09-18-2006, 01:34 PM
Hello People!

I've been lurking here for a few weeks and I have installed the demo version. I'm liking what I'm seeing and hearing so far. I have some experience with PT and Nuendo so working with a DAW is not new. What is new for me is using a DAW in a live show situation with synced DVD/video projection. Bob L. already cleared up the audio/video sync situation in an email and which I explored further in the demo (SAW seems to do one video track, I could be wrong). The reason I am here is that I need to put together a system for the road using a laptop. I am pretty much ignunt (ignorant) when it comes to hardware issues, especially with laptops. I do know that the system will be playback only (PT .wav files not more than 16 tracks/8 stems, I hope). These will augment some live tracks that I will bring up in a seperate console. I will also need to sync 2 possibly 3 seprate DVD/video the duration of the show. These will play simultaneously or possibly not, just need seperate tracks (the only way I can express it right now). I just don't know how to go about doing that. A second laptop with SAW? video and TCP/IP sync? Also, what would be a good plan B if the rig froze or crashed in the middle of the show. I have to think of a backup plan just in case. If anyone here has had experience with this please feel free to contact me or reply to this thread with any suggestions on how you would configure such system. I apologize for the run-on sentences.

thanks in advance,

Grant Austin

Oh yeah, rehearsals start in 4 weeks and the leader wants to start purchasing gear soon. I think he means pretty soon.:rolleyes:

Microstudio
09-18-2006, 02:06 PM
Hello People!

I've been lurking here for a few weeks and I have installed the demo version. I'm liking what I'm seeing and hearing so far. I have some experience with PT and Nuendo so working with a DAW is not new. What is new for me is using a DAW in a live show situation with synced DVD/video projection. Bob L. already cleared up the audio/video sync situation in an email and which I explored further in the demo (SAW seems to do one video track, I could be wrong). The reason I am here is that I need to put together a system for the road using a laptop. I am pretty much ignunt (ignorant) when it comes to hardware issues, especially with laptops. I do know that the system will be playback only (PT .wav files not more than 16 tracks/8 stems, I hope). These will augment some live tracks that I will bring up in a seperate console. I will also need to sync 2 possibly 3 seprate DVD/video the duration of the show. These will play simultaneously or possibly not, just need seperate tracks (the only way I can express it right now). I just don't know how to go about doing that. A second laptop with SAW? video and TCP/IP sync? Also, what would be a good plan B if the rig froze or crashed in the middle of the show. I have to think of a backup plan just in case. If anyone here has had experience with this please feel free to contact me or reply to this thread with any suggestions on how you would configure such system. I apologize for the run-on sentences.

thanks in advance,

Grant Austin

Oh yeah, rehearsals start in 4 weeks and the leader wants to start purchasing gear soon. I think he means pretty soon.:rolleyes:

Welcome to the SAW world Grant,

I have not used much of the video in SAw and I think your question would be best answerd by Bob he has done a lot of video plus he knows the ins and out when it comes to hooking up the video.

We are he 24/7/365 to help you out.

Bob L
09-18-2006, 03:02 PM
Grant,

I answered your email also... but the extra video could be played from extra computers locked with my TCP/IP ethernat link... one video track per machine.... one machine would not handle more than that efficiently, especially along with audio... so I designed the TCP/IP Master-Slave-Remote protocol to handle these kinds of extra loads.

I also use the Master-Slave method for running a backup master machine in sync... you can switch your outputs on your external console... just have both machines coming up to separate channels... if the main system crashes, un-mute the second machine's audio.... and use a video switcher to switch in the auxillary video.

Good Luck,

Bob L

Perry
09-19-2006, 01:14 PM
HI Grant,

To add to this discussion, Frank Farrell that is here on the forum at times, uses SAWStudio to do pretty much exactly what you are wanting to do on a regular basis. He works with the Kenny Rogers Show and they are constantly touring all over the world. They were just in town a few days ago here actually (Vancouver, BC) and I watched the show from the stage with Frank.

He has SAWStudio set up to provide extra supporting tracks for certain tunes (horn sections, additional BG vocals, etc) as well as projected images and/or video onto screens for the audience during certain songs (for instance during the performance of "The Gambler" scenes from the movies are shown).

This is all completely automated on a timeline but provisions are made to easily change things around if the songlist is altered during the performance for any reason.

I've seen this in action a few times; it works beautifully and extremely professionally. You couldn't ask for it to work any better really.

SAWStudio will most definitely do what you are asking. Maybe Frank will see this thread and chime in here, but again, have no doubts of the capability of SAWStudio to do the job; it will do it and it will do it well.

All the best,

Perry

gaustin
09-19-2006, 06:54 PM
Perry,

I saw a thread where Frank Farrell mentioned that he uses SAW on the road exactly the way that I need to use it. With four years of shows using SAW under his belt and no crashes, that pretty much clinched it for me. I will hopefully begin a shakedown cruise with the laptop and audio/video stuff next week. I will keep everyone posted.

Thanks Bob! .... (that was a little shout out)

Grant

Perry
09-20-2006, 10:23 AM
Perry,

I saw a thread where Frank Farrell mentioned that he uses SAW on the road exactly the way that I need to use it. With four years of shows using SAW under his belt and no crashes, that pretty much clinched it for me. I will hopefully begin a shakedown cruise with the laptop and audio/video stuff next week. I will keep everyone posted.

Thanks Bob! .... (that was a little shout out)

Grant

GREAT! Good luck with it Grant. And of course don't hesitiate to ask questions here as they arise.

All the best,

Perry