PDA

View Full Version : CPU Power consumption

musicmanwolf
09-19-2006, 02:34 PM
I remember seeing on the forum before that a cordless mouse and keyboard uses up some computer resources. Does anyone know roughly how much?

johndale
09-19-2006, 03:22 PM
Not enough to be concerned with on newer machines. However, what you should be concerned with is USB talking to the input device. There is potential there for digital pops. I'd use a PS2 KB and Mouse, I do.
John

musicmanwolf
09-22-2006, 05:23 AM
Thanks Johndale for the response.

DominicPerry
09-22-2006, 06:04 AM
I asked if anyone was using a PS/2 mouse some time ago, (thread called MOUSES), because I wanted to shut down USB completely. In short, most people were using USB but a few were using PS/2. Wireless mice have been implicated in a number of glitching problems, but I don't think anyone has measured CPU utilisation. I can't understand why a wireless mouse would be worse than a wired one - my assumption is that the drivers are written to poll the mouse more frequently. Sorry I can't be more detailed.

Dominic

UpTilDawn
09-22-2006, 06:22 AM
Not enough to be concerned with on newer machines. However, what you should be concerned with is USB talking to the input device. There is potential there for digital pops. I'd use a PS2 KB and Mouse, I do.
John

I use a wireless mouse on the usb hub with the portable pc once in a while with no ill effects, but normally use a ps2 optical mouse just to be safe.

I use the same brand/model wireless mouse through the usb on the tower on a daily basis with no ill effects at all that I am aware of... especially no digital pops. I have more recently put this mouse and a wired keyboard through a kvm switcher, which also works off the usb with no ill effects.
The thing that gets my goat is that I can lose the mouse and keyboard at certain critical times when troubleshooting the pc, especially during reboots simply because the usb is not active at those times. I am forced to keep a wired ps2 mouse on the shelf just in case I can't access the wireless....:(

DanT