PDA

View Full Version : wireless question

Bill Park
09-25-2006, 06:10 AM
not strictly on topic, sorry: but I get good computer advice here.

I have a newer asus laptop with Intel Proset wireless. Well, it connects just fine at full speed to my private wireless network. But after a few minutes the rate changes, and may drop down to as low as 1mb/sec. At first I thought that it was my connection, as I could shut down the wireless router, turn it back on, and full speed would be restored for a time. But then I discovered that if I turned off the wireless at the laptop and turned it back on, full speed would be restored for a time.

This leads me to believe that there is an issue with either the Intel drivers or my personal computer setup. I wonder if anyone has any experience with this, or advice in this area.

Thanks,

Bill

Craig Allen
09-25-2006, 06:46 AM
My guess is that you've got interference somewhere nearby causing the speed to drop. Does it get any better or worse the closer or further you get from the router?

Bill Park
09-25-2006, 07:28 AM
My guess is that you've got interference somewhere nearby causing the speed to drop. Does it get any better or worse the closer or further you get from the router?

I don't think that this is the problem, because it doesn't seem to matter if I am three feet or thirty feet from the router.

Bill

Pedro Itriago
09-25-2006, 07:35 AM
It sounds to me either a power saving scheme (either to save battery or computer's overheating) or problem with that powersaving driver

Fletch
09-25-2006, 07:49 AM
But after a few minutes the rate changes, and may drop down to as low as 1mb/sec....I wonder if anyone has any experience with this, or advice in this area.

Bill, FWIW, I had the same situation happen with my router and I changed the channel on the router toward the upper end of the available spectrum and it has greatly improved the consistency of the higher rate. -Fletch

Bill Park
09-25-2006, 08:05 AM
It sounds to me either a power saving scheme (either to save battery or computer's overheating) or problem with that powersaving driver

Could be. I'm alwasy plugged in, but I do hear the fan varispeed kicking in and out.

Thanks for the idea,

Bill

Bill Park
09-25-2006, 08:06 AM
Bill, FWIW, I had the same situation happen with my router and I changed the channel on the router toward the upper end of the available spectrum and it has greatly improved the consistency of the higher rate. -Fletch

I'll try that. Could not hurt.

Bill

Mike Bizanovich
09-25-2006, 10:15 AM
Hi Bill:

Several things come to mind, some of which have already been mentioned. My first thought though is that you're caught in a negotiation loop between your access point and your nic. Typically, (though I don't know your makes and models) negotiation begins at the highest speeds then works its way down the speed ladder until it's happy with the link. This could be looping and repeating itself until it settles at a low speed rate, say, 1Mb.

I've seen this where a download is being done and the (averaged) throughput starts out high and seems to stay there (because of the negotiation looping) until the negotiation settles on a speed and the system is locked at that speed. This could take from just a few minutes to several minutes to settle.

Check for new drivers for your nic and Router/Access Point.

Mike Bizanovich
Wheeling, WV

Dave Labrecque
09-25-2006, 03:15 PM
Bill,

FWIW I think I have the same setup as you (Asus Z70Va with a/B/G wireless?), and I haven't noticed any such problems; though, I've used it mostly for public web access, not much for my personal network (hardwired here at the studio).

But if you want me to try anything with my home wireless network, let me know.

MMP
09-25-2006, 04:11 PM
Do you have wireless phones on the same frequency?

Regards,

MM

Pedro Itriago
09-25-2006, 05:46 PM
That is a very good question to ask

Bill Park
09-26-2006, 11:34 AM
Bill,

FWIW I think I have the same setup as you ....

Thanks for the offer Dave. I may get back to you on this. But if you are not having any issues, it is likely something else on this end.

Bill

Bill Park
09-26-2006, 11:34 AM
Do you have wireless phones on the same frequency?

Regards,

MM

No but as was said, that is a good question.

Bill