PDA

View Full Version : 10k Drives?

Burkeville
10-02-2006, 09:24 AM
Hi ,

I did a search of the forum and couldn't find anything on this.

Has anyone had any experience with 10k rpm drives? The 7200s are working fine for me so I won't switch unless the 10ks are rock solid. Seems like more could go wrong?

Thanks in advance fellow SAWStudio users.

kb

Dan Hauck
10-02-2006, 09:34 AM
I've been using WD Raptors for over a year with absolutely no problems. I track on them & then copy them to larger 7200 drives for editing, mixing & of course, backup. I figure they may give me a bit more horsepower for heavy input track loads & certainly don't hurt anything. Don't know whether they help or not.

Mark Stebbeds
10-02-2006, 09:35 AM
Hi ,

I did a search of the forum and couldn't find anything on this.

Has anyone had any experience with 10k rpm drives? The 7200s are working fine for me so I won't switch unless the 10ks are rock solid. Seems like more could go wrong?

Thanks in advance fellow SAWStudio users.

kb

I don't see any reason to move up to 10K rpm drives unless you are taking a perfromance hit on the 7.2k drives, i.e., need a few more tracks than you can get now, etc.

The are noisier and run hotter, although I would suspect some models are getting better.

Mark

DominicPerry
10-02-2006, 09:39 AM
If you want noise and heat, I recommend you move up to 15K drives, preferably in a RAID configuration. They're really expensive too.

If you can write/read all the tracks you need at 7200 and get the latencies you require, there's not much point in changing.

Dominic

Sean McCoy
10-02-2006, 09:49 AM
Back in my SCSI Days, I used 4GB, 9 GB and finally 18 GB Seagate Cheetahs, all of which worked very well. In fact, the larger two are still working in auxiliary computers. But 7200 RPM drives are much more efficient than they were then, so unless your 7200's aren't cutting it for you, there isn't much reason to move up.

Bruce Callaway
10-02-2006, 03:55 PM
I have been using a WS Raptor 10K drive for over a year. The only time I hear it is when I am building a mix otherwise it is very quiet and provides no heat difference to a 7.2k as far as I am concerned. The biggest impact it has made to me is the buildmix time. It is significantly faster than the 7.2K and this saves me a lot of time overall.

I record and edit 1 hour radio shows that may contain up to 40 tracks of speech and music. To check editing and overall show length, I can buildmix for all tracks now while the client is there without it taking too long. I couldn't do this when I used a 7.2k drive.

tomasino
10-02-2006, 07:00 PM
Me too. Tried the SCSI cheetah drives for about a year.
Worked fine. Like the other guys said, "hotter and noisier".
Sounded like rocks in a blender!

Added so many fans to keep things cool the box sounded like it was about to levitate when powered up.

Way happier with the 7200's.

UpTilDawn
10-02-2006, 07:24 PM
I have been using a WS Raptor 10K drive for over a year. The only time I hear it is when I am building a mix otherwise it is very quiet and provides no heat difference to a 7.2k as far as I am concerned. The biggest impact it has made to me is the buildmix time. It is significantly faster than the 7.2K and this saves me a lot of time overall.

I record and edit 1 hour radio shows that may contain up to 40 tracks of speech and music. To check editing and overall show length, I can buildmix for all tracks now while the client is there without it taking too long. I couldn't do this when I used a 7.2k drive.
That sounds like a good reason to consider 10k drives next time I'm in the market for a boost.
DanT

Naturally Digital
10-03-2006, 01:36 PM
The biggest impact it has made to me is the buildmix time. It is significantly faster than the 7.2K and this saves me a lot of time overall. Thanks Bruce! Very useful info. Here's why:

http://www.sawstudiouser.com/forums/showthread.php?t=524

Bruce Callaway
10-03-2006, 02:50 PM
Hi Dave, if you consider it, a 10K drive is 50% faster than a 7.2K using raw maths. I realise there is more to the calculation but thats a good increase as a starting point.

Pedro Itriago
10-03-2006, 05:08 PM
Hi Dave, if you consider it, a 10K drive is 50% faster than a 7.2K using raw maths.

I rather have my math well done.

Bruce Callaway
10-03-2006, 06:18 PM
I rather have my math well done.with chilli or pepper sauce.......:)