PDA

View Full Version : Suggested Monitor and resolutions?

AudioAstronomer
05-25-2004, 06:43 PM
What is a good monitor to purchase for sawstudio, and what do you folks feel is a comfortable resolution to run at? I dont like dual monitors as it interupts the motion of my eyes moving between screens. Since I am saving up now to purchase Sawlite, then full, I dont really wish to break the bank with a 1500$ LCD, which I see dont see as a good investment right now anyways.

Yura
05-25-2004, 07:23 PM
I very like to use 1600x1200 on 19inch Monitor for SS. more high resolution makes details to be not cmfrtble seem. but i didnt try 21 inch.
you can use two monitors with very useful possblty to place on anothr all plugins and additional windows.
Yesterday I v ben seen my friend working on 19-inch mon with his Samplitude at resolution....800x600!!!! he was siting in front of it at distance about 1.5 meter. the windows was a huge! I didnt had recognition wat program he waches at first moment! But he was exactly comfortable!

Bob L
05-25-2004, 07:27 PM
A great LCD monitor is the Planar 20 inch... native res at 1600 x 1200... it is sweet... you can find it out there for around $900 now.

Bob L

AudioAstronomer
05-25-2004, 08:24 PM
20" LCD for 900 dollars? wow! I will certainly look.

Since some, and most, LCD's have a slow crystal response would you suggest a CRT to best convey the speed of saw's interface?

David Hayes
05-25-2004, 08:50 PM
I use dual 21 inch monitors at something over 1600x1200 each. LOTS of pixels. I've said it before, I must be a pixel junkie. You can get TONS of stuff on the screen at once.

David Hayes
:)

AudioAstronomer
05-25-2004, 09:00 PM
Found this on ebay! Fantastic deal and great specs. wow :)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=41808&item=4132535100&rd=1

Bob L
05-25-2004, 10:04 PM
The 19 inch is great also, but it is not what I mentioned... it will only do 1280 x 1024... the 20 inch does the 1600 x 1200.

Bob L

Dave Tosti-Lane
05-25-2004, 11:35 PM
Regarding the LCD question - I tend to think that if you're running just Studio, you won't have a problem with an LCD - if you're also running video, then you might want to think CRT unless you get into the expensive LCDs. Or if you are doing a lot of text editing in (gasp) other software.

I use dual 19" CRT at home, and on most of my systems at work, but occasionally switch to dual 15" LCDs when I put the computers down in the audience area of the theater - with inexpensive 15" (1024x768) LCDs, I find SAW to be acceptable, but I don't like scrolling text. For whatever reason, the mainly graphical interface with SAW (I'm still on SAW Plus 32 on those machines) seems fine to me. One of my students who has some serious impairment in his vision always goes for the CRT, as he finds the LCDs very hard to see detail on.

But with the higher res LCDs, I think things are a little better - I've been thinking about dual 19s for my home system to reclaim some serious desk space.

Dave Tosti-Lane

Bob L
05-26-2004, 12:38 AM
Dave,

The Planar is not exhibiting any of the slow persistence and other problems you mention for me... I have never been happier with the visual clarity and the video track quality onscreen.

One thing where many get into trouble, I think, with LCD screens, is that they run them in resolutions other than the native. When you do this with an LCD, the panel generally tries to scale the data across the native pixel res and this is where you get many smeared pixels and very unacceptable quality.

Most LCD panels have an auto-adjust function somehwere in their onscreen control menu... I strongly advise using that function once you set up your display resolution to match the native pixel resolution of the panel...

I generally open SAWStudio, then hit the auto-adjust feature on the panel and watch it go through its adjustments... when through the results for me are crystal clear one for one pixel mapping... I would never choose a CRT willingly again after seeing that pixel clarity... very easy on my eyes, which are definitely getting old and tired from spending so many hours in front of my computer. :)

Bob L

Dave Tosti-Lane
05-26-2004, 01:27 PM
I'll have to check that puppy out Bob<g>.

I agree about the desk space, I've seen some LCDs that look really nice, and I would like to move there one of these days soon. At work, we got the smaller LCDs fairly early in the development cycle of LCD monitors, so I know that there are much better examples out there. Even at the lower end of the price spectrum - I've looked at a couple of Samsung 19s that seem to look pretty good for pretty low cost.

Dave