PDA

View Full Version : Feedback destroyer plugin - would you buy

DominicPerry
10-13-2006, 03:27 AM
Would you buy a native feed back destroyer plug if it was available?

(I guess we need to know that this would work in SAC too)?

Cary B. Cornett
10-13-2006, 06:07 AM
Could such a plugin be made processor-efficient enough to be used individually on each input?
Can it be made so that latency is not an issue in Live mode?
Would you be able to set it up in "seek and destroy" mode, and then have it save the notch frequencies as a preset? This last could be important so that long sustained notes in a performance would not be "interpreted" as feedback and notched out by mistake.

There is also the issue that, at least with some systems, feedback destroyers cause a very unnatural sound. I tried one once of a stage monitor mix, and the result made the singers so uncomfortable that they preferred not using stage monitors at all.

brent
10-13-2006, 08:00 AM
Think about it.

Do the big three US based concert sound companies use feedback killers? Nope. Did pro engineers need them in the 60s, 70s before computerized processing? Nope. Do most feedback killers work without adding noise and jacking with the sound? Nope.

Would you put a SAW/SAC system in front of a rookie that can't properly place/aim a PA, tune the system to the room, etc? Now, if a guy is proficient enough to own and operate a laptop, have SAW/SAC and do live shows, he is probably proficient enough to have a measurement mic, 100' of cable and SMAART or some other TEF like program for analysis. Just my thoughts. If you don't know audio, then you shouldn't be using a computer or any other menu based digital console/controlled system live, because the designers assume you do.

Oz Nimbus
10-13-2006, 08:43 AM
Think about it.
. Did pro engineers need them in the 60s

The PA systems in the 60's were grossly underpowered. That could be one reason why.

-0z-

Mark Stebbeds
10-13-2006, 09:21 AM
The PA systems in the 60's were grossly underpowered. That could be one reason why.

No it couldn't.:p

Mark

Tim Miskimon
10-13-2006, 10:19 AM
I'd rather see someone create the sour note eliminator plug in instead. Auto tune might bend the note into pitch but it doesn't address a sour tone...:D

johndale
10-13-2006, 01:11 PM
Why not a "Don't Suk" plugin for SAW? I hear PT has one as an add on for $999999999.95.
John