PDA

View Full Version : Ampfarm or similar plug in

songwriterdemos
10-17-2006, 10:54 AM
Hi there,

I'm starting to do some recording at another producer's studio. He uses ProTools and also uses the Ampfarm plug in for guitars. It sounds pretty amazing, and I just wanted to know if there is a SAW compatible plug-in that we can use that compares to AF.

M

Arco
10-17-2006, 11:34 AM
Waves GTR - Guitar Tool Rack (http://www.computersandmusic.com/product_fs.aspx?SID=1&Product_ID=1018&Category_ID=123)
Get some tone with Waves' new Guitar Tool Rack: a set of amp modeling and guitar effect plug-ins plus a great direct box!
Your Price: $445.00

Antares Tube (http://www.antarestech.com/products/tube.shtml) - An analog tube modeling plug-in that allows you to give your digital tracks the warmth of a classic analog tube pre-amp. Tube is incredibly easy to use, sounds great, and is so DSP efficient that even a modest native system can support dozens of instances of Tube.

Antares Microphone Modeler (http://www.antarestech.com/products/amm.shtml) – Now the mics you own can sound like the mics you wished you owned. Available for TDM, Audio Units, MAS, VST, RTAS and DirectX. 2000 TEC Award winner for Outstanding Technical Achievement in Signal Processing Software; Keyboard Magazine Key Buy Award.

No experience with any of these. But they all seem to have VST versions.
not amp farm and maybe not as good...anyone have experience?

Sam C
10-17-2006, 11:48 AM
It may have changed but awhile back GTR would not work with SAW.

NI Guitar Rig 2 is pretty cool. I have used that a bit in SAW without any problems.

Mark Stebbeds
10-17-2006, 11:57 AM
I just wanted to know if there is a SAW compatible plug-in that we can use that compares to AF.

There are many on the market, but I have not heard one that sounds as good as Amp Farm. I've even used it as a effect on vocals.

Of course, it is all subjective, so YMMV.

Mark

Microstudio
10-17-2006, 11:58 AM
It may have changed but awhile back GTR would not work with SAW.

NI Guitar Rig 2 is pretty cool. I have used that a bit in SAW without any problems.

GRT 2 hands down is the best software affect for guitars that I have ever used and own. It really is good. It works with Saw ...no problems. I use it live, record it live in Saw or as an effect, its like playing through my Mesa Boogie. The foot pedal/USB I/O is the best. Plus you get the loop machine and tape deck with it.

GRT 2 for the money and all you get and the sounds you can get are truely unbelievable.

Going software, go GTR 2 you will not be sorry.

Sam C
10-17-2006, 12:29 PM
GRT 2 hands down is the best software affect for guitars that I have ever used and own.It works with Saw ...no problems

O.K. these initials might be confusing. Waves GTR, Guitar Tool Rack would not work in SAW when I tried months ago.

As I said, NI GR2 does work in SAW and it is O.K. to my ears. Nothing like Amp Farm or Waves GTR. But, I think it is a decent choice considering whats out there. Maybe Amplitube is worth a try too.

dhise
10-17-2006, 12:43 PM
O.K. these initials might be confusing. Waves GTR, Guitar Tool Rack would not work in SAW when I tried months ago.

As I said, NI GR2 does work in SAW and it is O.K. to my ears. Nothing like Amp Farm or Waves GTR. But, I think it is a decent choice considering whats out there. Maybe Amplitube is worth a try too.

The Waves GTR is the best I've heard so far. There is a thread over at KVR with a file that you can drag the waveshell onto, and it will create a folder of vst's that should work in any apps that don't support the waveshell directly.

That said the old Simulanalog guitar suite is still a great free option, blowing away most $$ plugs. You'll need an app like chainer though because it does not have it's own gui for SAW to work with.

cheers,
Doug

Carey Langille
10-17-2006, 02:48 PM
GTR 1 did NOT work with SAWSTUDIO, But GTR 2.0 Works Great with SAWSTUDIO. It has a very nice set of tools, as well, GuitarRig 2 is a different kind of beast and works very well. Where GTR is meat and Potatos, Rig is Sparkle and flash. Two different tools for to different situations!:)

mOjO Fet
10-17-2006, 02:49 PM
GTR is definetaly the closest to a real guitar/amp sound.

Also NI Guitar Rig is nice and has a lot of features and effects.

You should also take a look at iZotope's Trash which has some very good distortion sounds. I think it's quite underrated.

If you're looking fo a nice tube sound plug in try Tritone Digital's Valvetone. Very nice!:)

Michael

sebastiandybing
10-17-2006, 03:05 PM
I wonder why no one has mention IK Multimedia amplitube,
to me it sounds very good.

Sebastian

songwriterdemos
10-17-2006, 04:03 PM
There are many on the market, but I have not heard one that sounds as good as Amp Farm. I've even used it as a effect on vocals.

Of course, it is all subjective, so YMMV.

Mark

This is what I've heard. The guy I'm working with has recorded with everyone here, including Joey Moi and some other guys in the Nickelback camp. He says it's the best thing out there right now, but I thought I would see anyway. Being that it's made by Line 6, I'm wondering how it would compare to the Line 6 XT Live ..

Mark Stebbeds
10-17-2006, 04:09 PM
This is what I've heard. The guy I'm working with has recorded with everyone here, including Joey Moi and some other guys in the Nickelback camp. He says it's the best thing out there right now, but I thought I would see anyway. Being that it's made by Line 6, I'm wondering how it would compare to the Line 6 XT Live ..

I use it sparingly as an effect, but day I was in a session and the guitarist's amp died, and there were no other amps readily available. We were able to quickly dial in a sound using Amp Farm that everyone was happy with.

Mark

Carey Langille
10-17-2006, 06:46 PM
Im very happy with my XT Live... It has a ton of power and sounds.. And i keep getting compliments from sound guys saying how clean and troublefree my setup is... We played a big outdoor festival a few weeks back with this HUGE pa and lighting rig ( I was in Heaven). I went out front with my gtr and could not believe how great it sounded...distortion was full and crunchy, clean sound was bright and sparkling, and the Tube blues amp stuff made me ... :rolleyes:

Dave Labrecque
10-17-2006, 11:04 PM

I said this a while back, but when I listened to the demo disc for Waves GTR (not trying the software, but listening to their demos), I was way disappointed. The guitars sounded like direct guitars. (which I don't like one bit) Not like amped guitars. And PRS made that special impedance-magic interface box, too. Go figure. YMMV.

Mark Stebbeds
10-18-2006, 02:06 PM
I said this a while back, but when I listened to the demo disc for Waves GTR (not trying the software, but listening to their demos), I was way disappointed. The guitars sounded like direct guitars. (which I don't like one bit) Not like amped guitars. And PRS made that special impedance-magic interface box, too. Go figure. YMMV.

Huh, I think that demo disk just came in the mail with some magazine. I hope I can find it....and didn't toss it already.

Mark

Neal Starrett
10-18-2006, 02:37 PM
http://www.greenmachine.pwuq.net/html/download.html:cool:

mako
10-18-2006, 05:16 PM
Thanks for the link Neal - I just tried Green Machine on a bass track and it immediately gave the width I was after and a variety of tones - all of them useable.

Looks like this will be very handy - thanks again.

mako

Neal Starrett
10-18-2006, 05:31 PM
My pleasure mako,,,,when NI doesn't fit the bill, greenmachine usually does. Its cheap and easy to get good results. As far as NI, I prefer Twang Combo(also cheap) over Rig. I like simplicity:D

Jay Q
10-19-2006, 12:23 AM
Hi there,

I'm starting to do some recording at another producer's studio. He uses ProTools and also uses the Ampfarm plug in for guitars. It sounds pretty amazing, and I just wanted to know if there is a SAW compatible plug-in that we can use that compares to AF.

M
TubeBaby (http://www.ndzeit.org/guitar/tubebaby.html) is much more limited than Ampfarm, but it's free and can get some good distortion tones.

Jay

johnnymac2201
10-19-2006, 03:37 AM
Line 6 has just released a VST version of Gearbox. http://www.line6.com/gearbox_plugin/

Haven´t tried it yet, but if the sounds are the same as in Ampfarm, this could be interesting.

John

Pedro Itriago
10-19-2006, 09:13 AM
Line 6 has just released a VST version of Gearbox. http://www.line6.com/gearbox_plugin/

Haven´t tried it yet, but if the sounds are the same as in Ampfarm, this could be interesting.

John

Needs activation & harware dongle, both together. Thanks, but no thanks

Mark Stebbeds
10-19-2006, 09:39 AM
Needs activation & harware dongle, both together. Thanks, but no thanks

I'm respectful of your quest to avoid all apps and plugs with activation or dongles or any other form of CP, but where do you draw the line when it comes to sound quality or features?

At what point do you say...OK, I like this product enought to respect the manufacturers decusion to use copy protection?

It's like cutting off your nose to spite your face... to use an old saying...Why harm yourself, or limit your abilities, just to make a point to your adversaries who could care less?

Mark

Pedro Itriago
10-19-2006, 11:17 AM
The way I see it, every time that someone accepts this poor exercises in copy protection which are really limitations on your rights as an owners/licensee, that's when you're, as per your words cutting your nose to spite your face.

Everytime time we allow limitations on how are we to use what we buy, we give away rights. And willingly, which is tremendously worrying.

There are still a lot of hardware unit that I'm willing to use anyday before using any thing made by a manufacturer overzealously gurading it/himself from it/his users, as well as any other plug-in. As said many times, the sound is in the musician and the engineer as craftmen, not on the tool.

I got fed-up already with XP. Now Vista will limit the number of times you are allowed to move your license to ONE. So, if you change a motherboard (which very likely fall into their definition of new device), you've gone as far as the MS gods will let you enjoy their "gift". Like "No soup for you" and all the idiots in line for soup because its sooo good.

As for plug-ins, I got fed-up after using (and still using) DSP/FX both the dsp card & the virtual pack. This experience led me to stay away for both dsp cards like the UAD or anything that has any piece of code running on the background making sure you're behaving.

Now, people like line6 are upping the ante not only forcing you to "activate" your plug-ins, but demanding you that you need to have connected any of their I/O's to be able to use the plug-ins, even if you don't use them or feel they're not good enough qualitywise. This is just plain extortion.

Now, don't come and tell me that a line6 digital DI has better quality than using apogee or lavry converters, or even RME ones. What bout the hardware overhead to have that piece of hardware connected to the PC? it DOES give an additional performance hit to your DAW. And please, don't use the lame "processors are faster now" argument, I am the one saying in what my cpu time goes to, not a plug-in manufacturer, with a non plug-in related hardware or code.

Bottom line: they don't trust me. Why should I trust them with my money?

Sam C
10-19-2006, 11:35 AM
Bottom line: they don't trust me. Why should I trust them with my money?

:D :D :D The U.S government does not trust me either.....hence the IRS. Hell, my bank doesn't trust me either. I wonder who does?

:eek:

Microstudio
10-19-2006, 01:31 PM
There REALLY are so many good products out there without all that lockup up control that I do not see how any of these companies make any money.

But as for AMP/Effect software NI's GTR 2 is really a no brainer if you play guitar. Great sound, great hardware, great price, ultimate sounds.

Ooo.. but none of their Amps or effects are name brand....:rolleyes:

Pedro Itriago
10-19-2006, 01:45 PM
:D :D :D The U.S government does not trust me either.....hence the IRS. Hell, my bank doesn't trust me either. I wonder who does?

:eek:

Difference is, you have a duty with your government. With the plug-ins (or software, for that matter), you have a right. But people seem to be willing to turn that right into a duty. I don't get it.

The bank would fall in the same pool as a software manufacturer.

Craig Allen
10-19-2006, 01:48 PM
With the plug-ins (or software, for that matter), you have a right. But people seem to be willing to turn that right into a duty.
The only right you really have is whether to buy the plug in or not.

Sam C
10-19-2006, 01:55 PM
Difference is, you have a duty with your government. With the plug-ins (or software, for that matter), you have a right. But people seem to be willing to turn that right into a duty. I don't get it.

The bank would fall in the same pool as a software manufacturer.

I'm just attempting to ad a little humor to what I know is a volitile subject here. Honestly, it matters not one bit to me who buys dongled product and who does not. We have a choice and I guess that is a good thing.

Sam C
10-19-2006, 01:57 PM
ooopps!

Pedro Itriago
10-19-2006, 02:05 PM
I had the conviction you were trying to lighten up the discussion. But I just wanted to be stuborn and clarify nonetheless. Sorry

Sam C
10-19-2006, 02:06 PM
I had the conviction you were trying to lighten up the discussion. But I just wanted to be stuborn and clarify nonetheless. Sorry

You know it just makes me feel guilty when you apologize! ;)

Pedro Itriago
10-19-2006, 02:10 PM
The only right you really have is whether to buy the plug in or not.

I don't think so Craig. It is one of the rights you have. One of many. Like if you find there's malicious code in that software, which was not especified anywere (eg: rootkits) you have the right for reparations.

But again, you're right. And I, for one, intend to keep exerting that right. Others may just plain rationalize not losing their right by exrting their right to buy them.

Craig Allen
10-19-2006, 03:40 PM
I don't think so Craig.

But again, you're right.

And I, for one, intend to keep exerting that right.

So which is it, am I right, or are you right, or are you exerting your right?

Mark Stebbeds
10-19-2006, 05:07 PM
Difference is, you have a duty with your government.

No, it's the other way around. The government has a duty to the citizens. At least that's how it's supposed to work in America. Sometimes a criminal sneaks through if he can find enough people gulible enough to fall for his lies.;) And that is where exercising your rights by withholding your vote can cause a change.

Not buying a piece of software because it uses copy protection doesn't effect change at all. CP by various dongles and authorization schemes seems to be working to the benefit of the manufacturers, whether you agree with it or not. If refusing to buy products using CP works for you, great, but I make my decisions on the usefullness and value that the product brings to my work and to my clients.:)

Mark

Microstudio
10-19-2006, 05:12 PM
Ask not what my country can for me, but what I can do for my country.

Our government is BY The People for The people.

Now what is the pleep does this have to do with Ampfarm or similar plug in?

Peace!...:)

Mark Stebbeds
10-19-2006, 05:13 PM
I got fed-up already with XP. Now Vista will limit the number of times you are allowed to move your license to ONE. So, if you change a motherboard (which very likely fall into their definition of new device), you've gone as far as the MS gods will let you enjoy their "gift". Like "No soup for you" and all the idiots in line for soup because its sooo good.

So are you going to get in line for the soup with the rest of us idiots, or are you going to stop using MS products?:confused:

I have a Mac with OS X that rocks, and Apple doesn't seem to give a rat's ass about how many installs or new devices you have. And there's always Linux.:)

I'm due for a new PC soon, and will likely go with the next generation of Intel Macs, and use Boot Camp or whatever dual boot tool is available to run whatever Windows apps I need.

I'm fed up with all of the hardware and software compatablity issues surrounding PCs, and developers of Widows apps blaming Windows for everything. :)

Mark

Mark Stebbeds
10-19-2006, 05:15 PM
Ask not what my country can for me, but what I can do for my country.

Our government is BY The People for The people.

If you're going to quote someone...at least get it right.;) :)

Microstudio
10-19-2006, 06:10 PM
If you're going to quote someone...at least get it right.;) :)

Oops! do:o

brent
10-19-2006, 06:53 PM

Amp Farm partially developed it. It was not all their doing. It doesn't compare to anything else, because it is not the same beast.

brent
10-19-2006, 06:56 PM
So are you going to get in line for the soup with the rest of us idiots, or are you going to stop using MS products?:confused:

I have a Mac with OS X that rocks, and Apple doesn't seem to give a rat's ass about how many installs or new devices you have. And there's always Linux.:)

I'm due for a new PC soon, and will likely go with the next generation of Intel Macs, and use Boot Camp or whatever dual boot tool is available to run whatever Windows apps I need.

I'm fed up with all of the hardware and software compatablity issues surrounding PCs, and developers of Widows apps blaming Windows for everything. :)

Mark

Vista is crap from what I hear, and it is not ready. The first version is said to be much slower than XP. As with all Windsux releases, wait for V2.

If you go with a Mac and do the bootcamp thing, you won't gain any speed. And, though it is called dual boot, things aren't as easy as it seems. You can't switch back and forth easily without issues.

Microstudio
10-19-2006, 09:27 PM
XP is going to be the last 32 bit OS I think. The next MS OS is going to be the 1st of the 64 bit OS of the many to come. XP will be out for many more years I think.

With the system I have right now.... I have a recording system that will last for 5 or more years easy and then I could just build another 32 bit system and be ok for years and years.

What I am getting at is technology is boiling over right now and the big changes that are worth changing too are not going to be worth it to the home recording studios or small city studios for many, many years... unless you just have to have it...:rolleyes:

Bob L
10-19-2006, 09:40 PM
Is it not interesting that the first reports coming in are suggesting that Vista is slower than XP... a 64 bit OS performing worse than a 32 bit OS... and no MME drivers... now that sounds like progress to me. :rolleyes:

Let's hope it really isn't true.

Bob L

brent
10-20-2006, 07:49 AM
There REALLY are so many good products out there without all that lockup up control that I do not see how any of these companies make any money.

But as for AMP/Effect software NI's GTR 2 is really a no brainer if you play guitar. Great sound, great hardware, great price, ultimate sounds.

Ooo.. but none of their Amps or effects are name brand....:rolleyes:

Look you guys, quit your ranting. When you buy a plug, that is saving you hundreds of thousands of dollars, in some cases, in studio mics, mic stands, cables, preamps, world class consoles, world class rooms, etc, PLUS the cost of the amps, engineers, etc to capture those guitar sounds.

If you WERE to buy all of those amps, how many individual amps could you use simultaneously? One. So think of it like that. How many would you want your friends using for free? I wouldn't let any, but that is me.

Copy protection is the manufacturers right. If you don't like it, ok. But there will come a day, when people will no longer have the incentive to produce goods and services if there is no exclusivity or protection. People have to receive fair returns on their investment for development, distribution, etc.

Pedro Itriago
10-20-2006, 08:16 AM
Copy protection is the manufacturers right. If you don't like it, ok. But there will come a day, when people will no longer have the incentive to produce goods and services if there is no exclusivity or protection. People have to receive fair returns on their investment for development, distribution, etc.

The day they come up with non-intrusive copy protection I'll be in. What you don't see is that, when that company goes belly up or they decide not to support that version, they suspend the creation of authorization codes. At that time, you're screwed.

The main problem comes when customers see as a natural thing to put the manufacturer's rights above their own. They are both equal, none is more important than the other.

I just read a comment about the new vista EULA which is so screwed it even goes against virtual machines (my thought is that's what they're really after). This is the blogger's comparison:

Locking a virtual machine to a single physical device (with the right to move it once and only once) is somewhat like saying that you are not allowed to move your physical PC from the room in which you first installed it.

If you want to read the whole thing, here's the link (http://blogs.zdnet.com/Bott/?p=160&tag=nl.e539)

The current copy protection schemes go in that direction. Again, in the case of line 6, why do I need to have a pod xt or their DI in order to be able to use the plug-ins? there's no dsp going on in the xt, so why? They are forcing you to buy a line 6 hardware which you don't need to in order to really run the plug-ins AND activate the plugs. This is no especialized dongle like an iLok, it's a foreign pice of hardware. The pod dies, bye bye plugs. Your system crashes, reactivate the plugs. Buy new computer, reactivate the plugs. C'mon, enough already.

brent
10-20-2006, 09:18 AM
The day they come up with non-intrusive copy protection I'll be in. What you don't see is that, when that company goes belly up or they decide not to support that version, they suspend the creation of authorization codes. At that time, you're screwed.

The main problem comes when customers see as a natural thing to put the manufacturer's rights above their own. They are both equal, none is more important than the other.

I just read a comment about the new vista EULA which is so screwed it even goes against virtual machines (my thought is that's what they're really after). This is the blogger's comparison:

If you want to read the whole thing, here's the link (http://blogs.zdnet.com/Bott/?p=160&tag=nl.e539)

The current copy protection schemes go in that direction. Again, in the case of line 6, why do I need to have a pod xt or their DI in order to be able to use the plug-ins? there's no dsp going on in the xt, so why? They are forcing you to buy a line 6 hardware which you don't need to in order to really run the plug-ins AND activate the plugs. This is no especialized dongle like an iLok, it's a foreign pice of hardware. The pod dies, bye bye plugs. Your system crashes, reactivate the plugs. Buy new computer, reactivate the plugs. C'mon, enough already.

You don't. Amp Farm is a stand alone plug-in. The newer low-end crap is an attempt to sell boxes and help guitarists (seen as computer illiterates) get their ideas into the computer with little fuss. So they have their own little recording software package now. You are confusing product lines.

As for iLok, I love it. It allows me to charge more money for DAW rentals. If someone wants to rent a plug-in, I give them the correct iLok. If my computer is stolen, then they don't get the iLok, I still own the plugs.

Here is what I see. I see a bunch of greedy people wanting forward and backward compatibility with any product and their DAW. That is just insanity. You are asking too much of technology, especially at the prices you are paying.

If you want guitar sounds, buy guitar gear. If you want piano sounds, buy a piano or a synth. Let your computer and DAW software be just that. If you do not, then you are always going to have issues, because crap happens to gear, people, businesses, etc.

Microstudio
10-20-2006, 09:43 AM
Look you guys, quit your ranting. When you buy a plug, that is saving you hundreds of thousands of dollars, in some cases, in studio mics, mic stands, cables, preamps, world class consoles, world class rooms, etc, PLUS the cost of the amps, engineers, etc to capture those guitar sounds.

If you WERE to buy all of those amps, how many individual amps could you use simultaneously? One. So think of it like that. How many would you want your friends using for free? I wouldn't let any, but that is me.

Brent I agree with you, I really have no problems with copy protection and I have only said I don't know how those companies that use it make money because so many people hate dongles.

As for GTR 2 or any others you nailed it with what you said about what you get verse the real stuff.

Microstudio
10-20-2006, 09:52 AM
Is it not interesting that the first reports coming in are suggesting that Vista is slower than XP... a 64 bit OS performing worse than a 32 bit OS... and no MME drivers... now that sounds like progress to me. :rolleyes:

Let's hope it really isn't true.

Bob L

As for me, I am always a year or 2 behind technology... this means that I am not one of those being the rat that tested the bugs in the technology.

I'll get Vista and a 64 bit mobo well after it has been tested and the prices are lower and they are moving on to their next upgrade... if I need too.

I have great VST's right now, great synths sounds, great effects and a great multi track recorder... what more do I need. Its 2006 and Technology has given me all the tools I need, its time to record.

Sam C
10-20-2006, 12:45 PM
Brent I agree with you, I really have no problems with copy protection and I have only said I don't know how those companies that use it make money because so many people hate dongles.

I think the simple answer is because there are some great products from reliable companies available. Obviously everyone is not offended by dongles.

studio-c
10-22-2006, 11:44 PM
its time to record.

Amen. Even with the most barebones setups, we have tools at our fingertips that were beyond the dreams of people 20 years ago. An OS or a dongle is not going to help you or prevent you from creating amazing work. This is all a distraction. Learn to use the tools you have, perfect your craft, and get out there and be brilliant! :)

Note in the tracksheet below, for a song from Queen's "Night at the Opera", recorded at Trident Studios in England, you have the selection of 4, 8, or the luxurious 16 tracks, and analog tape speeds of 7.5 or 15 ips. I don't hear Brian May complaining about why he can't do the album because the available equipment is too confining. He just took the tools at hand and used them to capture the musical ideas. Obviously there are thousands of such examples, but it's the only pic I have...

http://www.noisepipe.com/sawstudio/queen track sheet.jpg

I only mention all this because we've done the dongle discussion before. It's one of those threads that goes into 200 posts and everyone gets pissed at each other. Look it up. This is so deja vu... :)

Cheers,
Scott

brent
10-23-2006, 07:43 AM
Amen. Even with the most barebones setups, we have tools at our fingertips that were beyond the dreams of people 20 years ago. An OS or a dongle is not going to help you or prevent you from creating amazing work. This is all a distraction. Learn to use the tools you have, perfect your craft, and get out there and be brilliant! :)

Note in the tracksheet below, for a song from Queen's "Night at the Opera", recorded at Trident Studios in England, you have the selection of 4, 8, or the luxurious 16 tracks, and analog tape speeds of 7.5 or 15 ips. I don't hear Brian May complaining about why he can't do the album because the available equipment is too confining. He just took the tools at hand and used them to capture the musical ideas. Obviously there are thousands of such examples, but it's the only pic I have...

http://www.noisepipe.com/sawstudio/queen track sheet.jpg

I only mention all this because we've done the dongle discussion before. It's one of those threads that goes into 200 posts and everyone gets pissed at each other. Look it up. This is so deja vu... :)

Cheers,
Scott

Are you sure that those are the only tracks? Queen typically had TWO Stephen's 40-track machines sync'd.

Pedro Itriago
10-23-2006, 07:51 AM
Brent:

See the track name? that's the last track of Night at the Opera. Which is God Save the Queen. No vocals in there. Mostly guitar layers.

Microstudio
10-23-2006, 09:24 AM
Technology has brought top quality recording and music creation to the figure tips of every person with a 1000 credit card limit. There are Syths that you press a button and a song plays for you, there are a million mic's, amps, guitars, recorders, soft syths, you name it.... ect.

But with all that you can buy out there you still can not buy TALENT. Writing and playing instruments is a talent and recording is something you most learn.

I was in a music store many-many years ago and this guy was just whaling on this guitar, I went up to him and asked him.... What kind of guitar is that? He replied... it’s a 99 dollar piece of crap Japanese remake, I am waiting for them to finish work on my Strat...:eek:

It's the human element that makes and recordes the music. Some of the greatest musicians of all time could just take a piano or Aucstic guitar, sit on stage and play... they did not need effects..... everything they needed was in them already...;)

Pedro Itriago
10-23-2006, 09:56 AM
This is not my point. If you read what I posted is not the quality of plug-ins or hardware what I'm referring to. I agree with most of you here that no matter what do you have, it's all about what you can do what makes a difference in your recording.

Read what I said in this qoute from a previous post

There are still a lot of hardware unit that I'm willing to use anyday before using any thing made by a manufacturer overzealously gurading it/himself from it/his users, as well as any other plug-in. As said many times, the sound is in the musician and the engineer as craftmen, not on the tool.

My beef is with the willingness of people about losing their rights when kneeling to use the current trend of copy protection found in today's products which is getting worse by the day. Always rationalizing the acceptance of lost rights behind the good sound of the plug-in. Sure, it may be the best thing since plate reverb, but that won't take away (pun intended) the fact that you're giving your right of ownership.

"Wow this new plug-in makes my music sounds so much better, it makes it worth that the company that makes it wants some royalties for each copy of my songs that I sell"

There's even false advertisment sometimes when it comes to sell copyrighted material. Whenever there's a new cd or dvd, you can hear radio and tv commercials saying "own it today". Like "own Pirates of the Caribbean on dvd today"

Pitty, we'll all get it when is too late, as always.

brent
10-23-2006, 10:37 AM
This is not my point. If you read what I posted is not the quality of plug-ins or hardware what I'm referring to. I agree with most of you here that no matter what do you have, it's all about what you can do what makes a difference in your recording.

Read what I said in this qoute from a previous post

My beef is with the willingness of people about losing their rights when kneeling to use the current trend of copy protection found in today's products which is getting worse by the day. Always rationalizing the acceptance of lost rights behind the good sound of the plug-in. Sure, it may be the best thing since plate reverb, but that won't take away (pun intended) the fact that you're giving your right of ownership.

"Wow this new plug-in makes my music sounds so much better, it makes it worth that the company that makes it wants some royalties for each copy of my songs that I sell"

There's even false advertisment sometimes when it comes to sell copyrighted material. Whenever there's a new cd or dvd, you can hear radio and tv commercials saying "own it today". Like "own Pirates of the Caribbean on dvd today"

Pitty, we'll all get it when is too late, as always.

Dude, I think that you are making up a situation that is not real and/or important to the power user.

First, few serious professionals making real music regard plug-ins as essential. So to them this is moot. If you ask the older golden ears guys, especially those that make plugs, they will tell you that it is mathematically impossible to replicate what analog compressors do. It is impossible to get them to replicate what electronic circuits can do for tone.

There are some good plugs out there, don't get me wrong, but for the most part there is more crap than good. There are too many worthless plugs, that do effects that any engineer could make with very simple tools and a brain.

Second, I still don't understand why you are bent on this. Look. If you use your DAW, like SAWStudio, and leave it alone, buy your essential plugs, leave them alone, then you can use them forever. What makes you think that you will wake up one day and it will be gone?

Forget about other people. You will never understand other people. It is hard enough to understand me, let alone others. Build your rig, keep it off of the internet, quit upgrading everything, and it will work.

brent
10-23-2006, 10:40 AM
Brent:

See the track name? that's the last track of Night at the Opera. Which is God Save the Queen. No vocals in there. Mostly guitar layers.

And my point remains. I thought that they used the Stephens.

Pedro Itriago
10-23-2006, 11:32 AM
Taken from http://www.brianmay.com/brian/brianssb/brianssbjul05a.html

Until recently ( I mean until 2 weeks ago!) the multi-track for the recording of our ***8220;God Save the Queen***8221; was believed lost, along with a small piece of the Prophet***8217;s Song. It turned out that the GSTQ tape was not, as Khashoggi protests in Ben Elton***8217;s script, lost, but simply could not be found ! I am sworn to secrecy as to how, but the admirably rigorous Kris Fredriksson, after 20 odd years of it hiding in the darkness, managed to locate it,

So here I am 30 years later, with this multitude of guitars from a young Brian May coming out of various channels again, this time not directly from a piece of 16-track tape

Mark Stebbeds
10-23-2006, 11:37 AM
T
My beef is with the willingness of people about losing their rights when kneeling to use the current trend of copy protection found in today's products which is getting worse by the day.

You seem to have convinced yourself of the concept that someone else feels they are losing their rights because they buy a plug-in with copy protection.

Get a grip...they are buying a plug-in to try and make their music sound better. It's not a religion or a politcal affiliation.

Always rationalizing the acceptance of lost rights behind the good sound of the plug-in. Sure, it may be the best thing since plate reverb, but that won't take away (pun intended) the fact that you're giving your right of ownership.

No...it's you that has the problem with acceptance.:) The other guy has the great sounding reverb and a clear conscience. .:)

If you're going to be a martyr, choose a more important cause.:)

Mark