PDA

View Full Version : OT: Jazz Bass Pickups

Craig Allen
10-17-2006, 01:03 PM
I'm looking at possibly changing the pickups in my Fender Jazz bass and I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions or experience that might make my choices a little easier?

Mark Stebbeds
10-17-2006, 04:37 PM
I'm looking at possibly changing the pickups in my Fender Jazz bass and I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions or experience that might make my choices a little easier?

Why do you want to change them?

mark

Craig Allen
10-17-2006, 06:06 PM
I'm not entirely happy with the stock sound. I want something a little fatter. I've gone through many different brands of strings, and can get good sounds, but I want to see what else I can get from it.

Warren
10-17-2006, 06:29 PM
I remember when Les Paul would wind his own pickups to make them lo impedance instead of high so he could get rid of some of the things in the signal path. want to take a crack at it?:D

hope it works out, and you can avoid the mud!:eek:

Craig Allen
10-17-2006, 07:04 PM
I remember when Les Paul would wind his own pickups to make them lo impedance instead of high so he could get rid of some of the things in the signal path. want to take a crack at it?:D
Just a little more time needed than I want to spend on it... :eek:

Mark Stebbeds
10-17-2006, 08:34 PM
I'm not entirely happy with the stock sound. I want something a little fatter. I've gone through many different brands of strings, and can get good sounds, but I want to see what else I can get from it.

Have you tried the LaBella strings that Jamerson used?

Mark

Craig Allen
10-17-2006, 08:51 PM
No, not yet, but I'll have to look. I've been happy with DRs, but the local shop I bought from closed and they're hard to get here and I'm never patient enough to buy them online. I've been on D'Addario Slow Wounds for a while now and they're pretty good.

While Jamerson is an awesome player, it's not really the sound I'm looking for (I can get a pretty good facsimile of it now). I'm looking for a more modern sound.

Sanford
10-17-2006, 08:53 PM
Craig,
Go to www.Sadowsky.com to check out their pickups. Click on the Online Store. I purchaced one of his 5 string (NYC) 24 fret jazz bass this summer. The bass sound is GREAT!!!

Take Care
Sanford

DaveS
10-18-2006, 12:11 PM
No, not yet, but I'll have to look. I've been happy with DRs, but the local shop I bought from closed and they're hard to get here and I'm never patient enough to buy them online. I've been on D'Addario Slow Wounds for a while now and they're pretty good.

I used DR's for a number of years but then started using Ken Smith strings as well as the Labella's. While both sounded ok I tended to prefer the Ken Smith strings more.

Dave

Craig Allen
10-18-2006, 12:14 PM
I'll have to look into them, thanks.

Mark Stebbeds
10-18-2006, 12:17 PM
While Jamerson is an awesome player, it's not really the sound I'm looking for (I can get a pretty good facsimile of it now). I'm looking for a more modern sound.

As an amatuer player, I put a set of the LaBella on my Peavy bass after being inspired by the "Standing in the Shadows of Motown" movie. Man, they sounded great, but there was some serious tension. They were HUGE in gauge.

Mark

Craig Allen
10-18-2006, 12:18 PM
Craig,
Go to www.Sadowsky.com to check out their pickups. Click on the Online Store. I purchaced one of his 5 string (NYC) 24 fret jazz bass this summer. The bass sound is GREAT!!!

Take Care
Sanford
Hey Sanford - it's been a while. I went to the site, but the online store looked like it's under construction right now. I'll have to check back later.

Craig Allen
10-18-2006, 12:18 PM
As an amatuer player, I put a set of the LaBella on my Peavy bass after being inspired by the "Standing in the Shadows of Motown" movie. Man, they sounded great, but there was some serious tension. They were HUGE in gauge.

Mark
I'll have to give it a shot - I like the bigger strings, myself.

Kimbo
10-18-2006, 12:38 PM
I've had EMG's in my 73 jazz for years but I think I'm ready for a change also. There was a guy in my studio last night with a single pickup Music man. That thing sounded great

TotalSonic
10-18-2006, 01:46 PM
You might want to check out Bartollini's - a lot of the basses that I've heard with them sounded a little fatter than the stock Jazz pickups without losing that cool midrange thing that the Fender Jazz sound usually has. They also possibly can give you a sound that is more "slicker" and "modern" - which for some people is either a good or bad thing.

I like DR's but wish that GHS still made their Super Steels - they were fatter on the bottom and thinner on the top than most sets and really kept their brightness for a long time while still having some nice bollocks on the low end.

Best regards,
Steve Berson