PDA

View Full Version : Progress % on icon in Taskbar

DBenkert
10-18-2006, 03:06 PM
Hi!

OK, this is lame, but just something I have been thinking about.

I have noticed on my machine that when I start a build-mix and press Enter to minimize the SAW screens, the icon at the bottom shows the percentage complete but, most of the time does not increment past what it was when I pressed Enter.

If I drag my mouse over it, it will give the correct percentage. Does anyone happen to know if this is a re-draw glitch or something?

Bruce Callaway
10-18-2006, 05:23 PM
Hi David, this is just a windows/CPU power issue. The CPU is fully utilised building the mix file and isn't putting resources towards keeping that icon updated. When you place the mouse over it, it allocates some resource to update it. It really is a non-event and in many cases is a symptom of how busy your PC is at the time. Don't worry about it....

Bob L
10-18-2006, 06:04 PM
The taskbar icon keeps updating on my system here... make sure your Windows priorities in the Advanced Performance options is set to Applications... not background... perhaps that will help.

Bob L

DBenkert
10-18-2006, 08:11 PM
Yeah, I'm not worried about it - just something I have noticed and meant to ask for a while.

Bob - it is set to Applications (I have set all the tweaks.)

No biggie really.

Dave Labrecque
10-18-2006, 11:19 PM
I pointed this out a year or two ago... same thing on my system. The weird thing is that Sound Forge's taskbar progress indicator works fine. In fact I think it was my request a few years back, having been impressed with SF's readout in the taskbar, that spurred Bob to do it with SAW. So, I guess it's my fault. :p

Bruce Callaway
10-19-2006, 04:26 AM
Yeah, I'm not worried about it - just something I have noticed and meant to ask for a while.

Bob - it is set to Applications (I have set all the tweaks.)

No biggie really.I have a pretty powerful PC now and sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't :( It seems to depend on what is loaded etc.....:rolleyes:

DBenkert
10-19-2006, 06:37 AM
So, I guess it's my fault. :p

Yeah, thanks a lot! ;)

Bob L
10-19-2006, 07:23 AM
Can you give me some details when it works and when it doesn't... is it a plugin that maybe causes the trouble?

I tried mixdowns here on Win 2K, Win XP Pro SP1 and SP2... works fine on all my machines.

The Levelizer does not cause any issues... I don't use DSP plugins and others like Waves.

Bob L

studio-c
10-19-2006, 11:00 PM
The flip side of that is, when I see it lagging (slightly if at all) behind the reality of what's happening, I thought, "Cool, he's keeping the activity priorities straight." I'd rather the machine concentrate on the audio processing.

As one of my clients said, "there's nothing more annoying than when you're in the middle of performing a piano concert, and someone walks across the stage to water a plant." It was Brian Tracy, an author/speaker, and was referring to producers who keep interrupting him with the talkback button while he's in the flow. But the analogy applies with computers also :) Anyway, for some reason I always thought it was funny as hell.

It's funny, I never thought to question the progress bar...

Scott