PDA

View Full Version : Region rename

AudioAstronomer
08-28-2004, 09:41 PM
What is the fastest way to rename a region. I am needed to do export regions with special names for each region.... must rename some stuff, a lot of it heh.

Veit Kenner
08-28-2004, 11:50 PM
What is the fastest way to rename a region. I am needed to do export regions with special names for each region.... must rename some stuff, a lot of it heh.
Robert,

if it's a seriously big amount of renaming I find some tools outside of SAW are very productive in renaming files by the batch. You could export all of your regions to seperate soundfiles use one of these utilities to rename them to your needs and you're set.

If you need to keep them in place on the MT this won't work, though :-(

I have set the "Open Region in SoundfileView" to be activated by "t" then I hit "u" (Update Regionname) and type in the new name. If you copy a default part of the name into the clipboard you can past it and then add e.g. a number.

Admittedly lot's of manual work ahead ;-)

Good luck,

Veit

Bob L
08-29-2004, 03:30 AM
Robert,

You can select multiple regions in the Regions View and give a new base name and all the selected Regions will then incrementally name from there.

Or select each Region and use the Region Menu rename command to give unique names for each...

Now if you use the Export Regions to Soundfile option and select all the regions at once, they will each be exported to separate files properly named the same as the Regions.

Bob L

Veit Kenner
08-29-2004, 06:09 AM
You can select multiple regions in the Regions View and give a new base name and all the selected Regions will then incrementally name from there.
Hi Bob,

this is remarkably useful and I admit I was not aware of it. Good to find out :-)

Thanks,

Veit

AudioAstronomer
08-29-2004, 09:59 AM
Ah, darn. I was hoping there was a way to avoid "manual" work. Like ctrl-click a region and it goes through and lets you rename each region one after the other... with the mt-view following the selected region :)

I have lots of regions to rename (after the wonderful task of editing.. which was painless), This is gonna take a long time :)

Thanks for the suggestion Veit, and Also thanks Bob :) A combonation of both suggestions seems the best for the moment.

Rail Jon Rogut
08-29-2004, 08:14 PM
SS EDL Investigator's Region Filer is another option.

Rail

UpTilDawn
08-30-2004, 08:07 PM
Robert, what a great idea!

I could really get into the mt following the regions being renamed. That could take a lot of the guesswork out of retracing where regions have been moved around from one track to another and you want to make sure the new region name reflects the specific track name.

DanT

AudioAstronomer
08-30-2004, 08:15 PM
Robert, what a great idea!

I could really get into the mt following the regions being renamed. That could take a lot of the guesswork out of retracing where regions have been moved around from one track to another and you want to make sure the new region name reflects the specific track name.

DanT

Only issue I can see with the idea is how to handle displaying regions on a specific layer.

Perhaps a off-shoot suggestion is allowing a "layer filter" for the region view? To only show regions on active layers? Then having something like the sequential renaming...

Or something similiar I guess.

UpTilDawn
08-30-2004, 08:44 PM
Only issue I can see with the idea is how to handle displaying regions on a specific layer. Perhaps a off-shoot suggestion is allowing a "layer filter" for the region view? To only show regions on active layers? Then having something like the sequential renaming...

A good point... One I hadn't really considered... I guess since I tend to use the layers to simply store original versions of the tracks as they're being significantly altered and/or shifted around.

I like the region filter idea too... I think of it as something similar to the group feature in the regions view, except auto-generated, or maybe even like using the 'v' key for automation filtering in the mt, except in the regions view.

I could see this becomeing a real issue when using Saw-full with its eight layers per channel.......

You could just imagine how difficult this process could be to keep track of in a system like the Roland VS workstations which have as many layers per track as there are channels in the mixer (16 x 16 for the old VS1680!). And there was barely any way to rename regions in that machine.

DanT

AudioAstronomer
09-18-2004, 12:32 PM
OK Im still going crazy here :)

Here's the case... I have 8 tracks, I can easily do the editing so they are nice and even all across..

problem is now each of the tracks region in that time has a "weird" name that I need to change before I export to region. Considering in one project I have almost 32x8x32 of these weirdly named (base name + random number it seems) regions.. it's near impossible to go through each one and rename it properly.

The best idea I can come up with is using select mode to allow region renaming.... that would be very nice. The region view follows what is selected, that way I can create region groups from my select groups... then I load my region group, rename those regions to have the same base name and my editing task is easier.

Be even nicer still if you could sequentially name selected regions :) but alas, Im fine with the simpler suggestion.

Anything like this possible now, or planned? I had the first batch done in cubase because I about blew my top trying to figure out a sane way to do this...

Bob L
09-18-2004, 09:08 PM
Robert,

Instead of trying to select regions on the MT, simply select them in the Regions View (it is a multi-select listbox), then use the Regions Rename function... it will do exactly as you asked... it will allow you to give a base name, and it will sequentially name the other selections.

Bob L

AudioAstronomer
09-18-2004, 09:52 PM
The problem is Bob, I have used the strip silence feature... which works beautifully to split the regions up veyr nicely.

Now in each track I have 32 regions quite thin... and it's duplicated across each track. So "seeing" the name of the regions to scroll through is quite cumbersome.

I guess it's hard to explain, maybe a screenshot?

Bob L
09-18-2004, 11:16 PM
Robert,

My guess is that the region that got split for each track still carries the same base name and is alphabetically in sequence in the Regions view, with the region split numbers added on. It seems it should be very easy to select all regions from the same track that were split with the Remove Silence command.

You might simply use the Delete All Unused Regions function first... then the only regions that are left will be the ones used in the tracks... makes selecting them very easy.

Bob L

AudioAstronomer
09-18-2004, 11:27 PM
Ah, the problem is that I need a "line" of regions on different tracks to have the same base name.

i.e. at 00:00:22.583 on track 1, the region needs to be called "Sound1 Mic1"
on track 2, it should be called "Sound1, mic2", on track 3, "Sound1, mic3"

Then again at 00:00:25.893 I have on track 1 "Sound2, mic1", on track 2 "Sound2, mic2" etc..

It becomes confusing get each "line" to have the same base.

Perhaps I am looking at this in a crooked way? It is a multimiked source that needs each "instance" on all the mics, to be named with the same base name... and it is iterated multiple times throughout the track.

AudioAstronomer
09-19-2004, 12:18 AM
http://www.audio-labs.net/sawregion.jpg
(sorry about the blocks, the project does contain sensitive information... im not as paranoid as I seem :))

The regions between the pretty brackets need to have the same base name. They are on named tracks and likewise have the track as the base name... but I need a way to make them have the same base name (and I can edit the postfix after). I have 32 of these "lines" of regions in each project, over 32 projects.

Id hate to think I went about this all wrong, it seemed quite simple in theory to begin with :)

p.s. re-writing this post 12 times now has taught me the beauty of the preview post button. I shall train myself to use it more often :)

p.p.s yes, that's Yura's new shade :)

p.p.p.s it's 3:30am and my state of mind seems to be a bit loose :)

Shawn
09-19-2004, 12:36 AM
Robert,

Could it be helpful to delete all of those regions, then re-import the full unedited regions into the project, cut where needed then rename the base regions correctly and re-edit? (strip silence).

It might very well be less work than the jam you've got yourself into right now.. which is confusing as hell!

:)

PS. you're almost at the end of your daily quota on smiley face after that last post! ;)

AudioAstronomer
09-19-2004, 12:45 AM
Problem is, the base name needs to apply across tracks. not ALONG tracks (argh semantics). if you can see what I mean I hope...

I did do the editing with strip silence and it's wonderful :)

just some sort of link between the regions window and the mt window... cursor follows region, region follows selection, something! :)

p.s. I use smiley's when I become very frustrated sometimes... It's my way of reminding myself to not turn into a raging maniac. Then again I use them when Im feeling smiley too. For goodness sakes Im going to bed.

Shawn
09-19-2004, 02:37 AM
Robert,

I just did this and it worked!

I think you will need 8 stereo output devices to make this work, maybe the virtual audio cables can do it for you.

Assign each output channel to it's own device and name them..

mic1
mic2
mic3
mic4
mic5
mic6
mic7
mic8

Now assign each track to it's own output channel, then mark the area of the first "line" of regions.

Now build mix to soundfiles, the new soundfiles will pick up the name of the output channels that they go thru, but before hitting OK, hit the mono button on the dialog box, so all soundfiles will be mono, then change the name of the base project to "sound1", and create a new folder for the soundfiles to go into, you can also dither down to 16 bits and do SRC at this time if needed, hit OK and you got your first set of sounds properly named and exported.

Now unmark the area, and mark the area of the next "line" of regions, build mix to soundfiles again, but change the base name to "sound2", and so on, and so on.

This should do the trick for you, and you can even store each set of soundfiles in seperate folders, each build mix operation will only take a few seconds.

:)

AudioAstronomer
09-19-2004, 07:09 AM
That's sure much quicker :) Will try today! thanks

MMP
09-19-2004, 07:47 AM
It seems your naming would be easier if you used Mic1, 2, 3...as the track names, and then sound 1,2,3 as the region increments.

Though, if you are producing a GigaStudio library the naming convention is probably fixed.

If you can change the base name to Mic 1, then I would create 8 edls, one for each mic, then remove unused regions, then use the region select renaming capability, then write all regions to files.

MM

[QUOTE=AudioAstronomer]Ah, the problem is that I need a "line" of regions on different tracks to have the same base name.

i.e. at 00:00:22.583 on track 1, the region needs to be called "Sound1 Mic1"
on track 2, it should be called "Sound1, mic2", on track 3, "Sound1, mic3"

Then again at 00:00:25.893 I have on track 1 "Sound2, mic1", on track 2 "Sound2, mic2" etc..

Bob L
09-19-2004, 08:57 AM
I still am not sure why you can't simply select the regions that need the same base name in the Regions view a lot faster than all this other complication of trying to rebuild mixes... you can select regions anywhere in the listbox, it would seem it should be easy to select the ones down the list that belong to each track that you want to name the same... then just use the rename option and they will all contain the same base, but sequentially number...

As far as a link from the Regions view to the MT... try the Tab key... it will jump to the first and then each use of the region in the MT, even linking and bringing up layers for each ocurrence... so pick a region, press TAB and you will jump to its location in the session... tab again and it will jump to the next location in the MT if its used more than once... perhaps this will help you decide which ones should be part of the group.

I'll look into adding a link back from selected MT entries to the rename option, which may help you in a future project of this type.

Bob L

Bob L
09-19-2004, 09:37 AM
Robert,

If you are wanting to select the regions in a long Regions listbaox from the MT entries, try this concept.

Double-Click the MT entry you want, it will select the linked region in the Regions View... now click the Group Button in the Regions View and add it to Group 01... back to the MT, select the next one in the group... back to the Regions View... add it to Group 01... etc...

Now when done with the first group, click the Group button in the Regions view and select Group 01... all the regions you just slected will be the only regions visible in the listbox... select the first one, shift-select the last one... this highlites them all... use the Region Rename option and type a base name... the results will be BaseName, BaseName {001}, BaseName {002}... etc... nice and neat.

Then click the Group button again and clear all from Group 01... go back and do the next group.

Now they should all be neatly named... other than that, if you want a particular syntax in the numbering scheme, you will just have to name each one manually... which still should go quickly by using the double-click method, then rename that one region... copy the basename to the clipboard from the edit box to re-use for the next one, then add the unique numbering syntax at the end.

Bob L

Mountain Media
09-19-2004, 10:17 AM
Double-Click the MT entry you want, it will select the linked region in the Regions View... now click the Group Button in the Regions View and add it to Group 01... back to the MT, select the next one in the group... back to the Regions View... add it to Group 01... etc...

Now when done with the first group, click the Group button in the Regions view and select Group 01... all the regions you just slected will be the only regions visible in the listbox... select the first one, shift-select the last one... this highlites them all... use the Region Rename option and type a base name... the results will be BaseName, BaseName {001}, BaseName {002}... etc... nice and neat.

Bob LBob, I've not had a rename situation as large as Robert's, but I have occasionally had cases where the above process would save much time!! Thanks, again, for giving a working example of some of the great things you have in the program - all these functions are covered in other places, but putting them together to solve a real-life problem is great!

AudioAstronomer
09-19-2004, 12:11 PM
Yes mmp, this is for a very LARGE sample library and I must adhere to fixed naming convention.

When I do drum editing I often find a similiar situation where I want all the regions where say a snare hit occurs to be called something like "snare hit - mic1", "snare hit - mic2".

The only problem is sorting through all the numbering once I have 300 regions all with similiar base names only determined by a random (or unique I should say) number.

The region adding seems like the best solution so far. If only you could create a region (not a select!) group from the currently selected regions in select mode :)

Any additions would be great though Bob, this is only the tip of the iceberg for the work Ive been contracted to do. in 2-3 months I will be editing little over 1,000,000 samples (!!!) and recording a good portion of them as well. I could probabaly do this fairly easily in a magix product if I didnt wanna rip all my hair out when I try to work with them... saw is home. dont wanna leave home to clean house :)

I think I can put together enough of a technique out of the suggestions to make something that works well enough... Ill post back when I figure out what works best :)

MMP
09-19-2004, 01:01 PM
Can you say "intern"...I knew you could.http://www.sawstudiouser.net/forums/images/icons/icon12.gif

MM

AudioAstronomer
09-19-2004, 01:13 PM
we have 3 people on this project already hah :)