PDA

View Full Version : Midi Question... how much memory needed???

Perry
05-25-2004, 07:52 PM
Hi,

I'm in the process of building a separate computer to run as a midi rig, probably with only limited audio or possibly no audio. I plan to add MidiWorkshop soon for this midi computer (running with SAWStudio) and I expect to be using a number of VSTi's (and as I say, the main audio rig will be a different computer).

My question is how much memory is really necessary for this second computer? More specifically, do I really need 1 gig of memory like I have for my main audio rig? Or, would 512 Mb's be enough? I would be running high quality memory (with fast timings) in any case.

I don't mind buying a full gig if this is needed, but would rather spend the extra money on other stuff if it isn't needed.

Thanks for any advise (I plan to buy the memory tomorrow)...

All the best,

perry

Bob L
05-25-2004, 08:00 PM
Perry,

If you are planning on using many of the serious VSTi synths, these can eat up memory faster than you can imagine.

Especially the sample based synths, because many plugs like the SpectraSonics series and Native Instruments KonTakt can use a lot of memory for their sample library data.

In my opinion, go for the 1 gb or more... even Windows seems to run much better when you spend the extra on some more ram.

Bob L

Perry
05-25-2004, 08:26 PM
Hi Bob :)

Thanks for the info! The thing is I've never build a computer specifically for this purpose. In the past, as an engineer, I always worked with other people's midi rigs, and they were hardware units... not the new soft synth stuff.

Anyway... you've answered my question for me for sure! I sort of thought that it would be a good idea to get a lot of memory for this, but wasn't completely sure. I'll pick up a gig of memory tomorrow (and order MIDWorkshop soon!)

Thanks again (and again thanks for the new forum!) :)

Perry