PDA

View Full Version : Motu upgrade?

Microstudio
10-31-2006, 02:48 PM
I was talking with a guy and he takes the Motu 896HD and opens it up and replaces the components with Class A stuff.

Have any of you done this or do you know of people how have?

jarvissound
10-31-2006, 03:27 PM
It might work but it isn't going to help MOTU's garbage software drivers. I'd stay away if I were you and get an RME or even an Maudio if you're looking for cheap...

Brett

TotalSonic
10-31-2006, 03:31 PM
Are you talking about Black Lion Audio?
http://www.blacklionaudio.com/motu_firewire_mod.html

I've never used his services but have seen numerous posts on other forums giving him very positive feedback. The above page details putting in better op-amps & an improved clock (both of which can make marked improvements in the sound of converters). Not having heard a before and after comparison I wouldn't be able to tell whether the mod is worth the price he is asking - but I'd say from a casual overview seems the mods are founded on good engineering principles and should at least give you some benefit to your MOTU boxes sound quality.

Best regards,
Steve Berson

Microstudio
10-31-2006, 03:56 PM
It might work but it isn't going to help MOTU's garbage software drivers. I'd stay away if I were you and get an RME or even an Maudio if you're looking for cheap...

Brett

I have been using a 2408 MK2 for over 3 years without any problems what so ever. My 2408 runs rock soild using SAW, Soner and Nuendo.... I just use SAW now but used it with the others. The drivers I use with it I downloaded from their site.

Thanks TS for the link... I will check it out.

mikebuzz
10-31-2006, 04:59 PM
I tried 2 896's with NO LUCK at all I ended up returning them , the drivers for the 896's arent very good IMO they lost lock all the time ( 1 unit by itself seemed to be OK though ??? just not running 2 together )

Later
Buzz

PS: I went with RME Hdsp 9652 and 2 ADA8000's ( I had to turn off hyperthreading though !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! there were serious pops/crackles with it on ) for around $900 ( I have external pre's though SO ?????????? )

Microstudio
10-31-2006, 05:29 PM
I am just interested in learning about this.... thats all. I plan on going with the ADA8000's and I most likely will get another 2408 mk2 for my in house rig. I don't see myself recording more then 16 tracks at a time.

johndale
10-31-2006, 05:38 PM
I'm a Motu user familiar with Black Lion. Their mods make a difference at a steep price. I'd go Lynx or Apogee, thats what I'm doing. I've really had no problems with my Motu stuff, it's they are not going to be supporting PCI much longer. For the record I have 1224 and 2408, never any problems them working well together, just also I don't know if there will ever be new drivers for the 324 card which to me is stable compared to the 424 and it's drivers on my all Intel system. You add the $400 mod money to what you have already invested in your Motu, and you can see it is better financialy to get something new, like RME, Apogee or Lynx. My 2 cents and what I'm doing. But yes you can hear a difference in the BL mod, I think it's the clock improvement on the 1224 myself. Hey is it the first yet?
John

Sean McCoy
11-03-2006, 11:47 AM
I have been using a 2408 MK2 for over 3 years without any problems what so ever.
How's the latency with that setup? The 2408 Mk II works well for my Mac and I have a leftover PCI-324 card (since we were forced to upgrade when the G5's came out), and was considering putting that in a PC I needed to outfit for a tracking room. Since I needed zero latency monitoring and knew RME works perfectly in that way, I opted for the more expensive 9652 DSP and Total Mix. But if the PCI-324 and 2408 with CueMix works just as well I'll definitely consider that for any future systems. Used 2408's can be had for a song.

Microstudio
11-03-2006, 12:27 PM
How's the latency with that setup? The 2408 Mk II works well for my Mac and I have a leftover PCI-324 card (since we were forced to upgrade when the G5's came out), and was considering putting that in a PC I needed to outfit for a tracking room. Since I needed zero latency monitoring and knew RME works perfectly in that way, I opted for the more expensive 9652 DSP and Total Mix. But if the PCI-324 and 2408 with CueMix works just as well I'll definitely consider that for any future systems. Used 2408's can be had for a song.

Latency is no problem for me. I play VST synths and I find it really hard to feel the latency at all. Playing GTR 2 I feel no latency.

I love the 2408, I do not understand why people have problems with it, it works great for me.

Sean McCoy
11-03-2006, 02:50 PM
Latency is no problem for me. I play VST synths and I find it really hard to feel the latency at all. Playing GTR 2 I feel no latency.
Cool. Guess I could have saved a few hundred bucks. :cool:

I love the 2408, I do not understand why people have problems with it, it works great for me.
Same here. I don't think I've ever used the converters, but as a 24 channel Lightpipe interface with Word Clock, it's been problem-free with my Mac. OTOH I have heard that MOTU is a real drag if you ever really need customer service.

Microstudio
11-03-2006, 03:44 PM
Cool. Guess I could have saved a few hundred bucks. :cool:

Same here. I don't think I've ever used the converters, but as a 24 channel Lightpipe interface with Word Clock, it's been problem-free with my Mac. OTOH I have heard that MOTU is a real drag if you ever really need customer service.

I bought mine used on eBay, I used it with my Spirit Folio SX, I would like one more interface and then have them both upgraded and I will have a great input chain to track with.... that is very cheap. I love my Sound Craft mixer.