PDA

View Full Version : Sydec releases cool new modelled eq plugin ...

TotalSonic
11-12-2006, 05:21 PM
The following shoud be of interest to SAWyers who like me are using the Mixtreme or Mixpander cards:
Just noticed on the Sydec site that they just released a new modelled eq plugin - that will run on the DSP of the Mixtreme or Mixpander cards.

screen shot here:
http://www.sydec.be/App/Content/?ID=8c77bc2f-0896-43d5-8e3b-c24474b74e34

They call it the "EACM EQ1" but based on the gui looks to be a copy of the venerable API 550B - but with the ability to have frequency centers and cut and boost amouts not possible with the detented switches that are on the actual physical eq's. Since the Algorithmix folks (who have made some excellent but premium priced DX plugins) were partners in the coding looks like it has some potential for those looking for a high quality digital eq that has some "color" to it.

info here:
http://www.sydec.be/Products/Details/ID/b88b31c3-8609-409e-8172-55d6452596f3/Soundscape+EACM%7cEQ1/

Demo downloadable from here:
http://www.sydec.be/Support/Dwnld/Default.asp?Action=ItmVw&Id=116603388135

Direct online price for the plug is $249.

I actually have a pre-order in to demo out the new API 5500 analog mastering eq - http://www.apiaudio.com/nw_660.html (which is essentially two API550B's in a rack but with the ability to optionally have gains and cuts in .5dB steps or 1dB steps) - so it will be interesting when it comes in to see how close the Sydec digital emulation of this is and whether the analog unit is actually worth 10 times the price (my current guess for my own purposes is that yes - it will be worth it - I figure for most others here this will not be true though!).

Looks like they are going to follow up this DSP plugin with another one shortly - this being their first collaboration with their new owners, SSL -
an emulation of the SSL Console EQ -
http://www.sydec.be/Press/PressRelease/Article/ID/7a53e154-aa42-422c-a648-34bcbe539eec/

Also seems Sydec has a number of new products that either just came out or are coming out around December/January -
http://www.sydec.be/Products/iBox/ -
including a lot of MADI solutions who want a ton of i/o on a single cable so that they can fulfill their dreams of being the next Bruce Swedien,
an 8 channel mic preamp with direct interfacing to their i-Box line,
a box with 24 AES i/o, and boxes with numerous other combinations of TDIF/MADI/ADAT/AES/analog i/o also.

Best regards,
Steve Berson

Perry
11-12-2006, 07:27 PM
Thanks for posting this Steve. :)

I've downloaded the demo but haven't tried it yet. Judging by what others are saying on the Sydec forum this EQ is a definite winner for those wanting this type of EQ. I'm sure I'm going to like it as I've used the analog API EQ's quite a lot. It'll be cool to hear your comparisons with the hardware... looking forward to that.

Looks like the SSL deal is bringing some nice additions to the Sydec world very quickly. Cool stuff.

Thanks again Steve,

Perry

brent
11-12-2006, 08:15 PM
And for those curious about SSL effecting Sydec, you won't be seeing an SSL workstation. They are also supporting some shareware DAWs, like Ardour. They have however used some of Sydec manufactured interfaces.

I got this from the horses mouth.

TotalSonic
11-13-2006, 11:46 AM
Thanks for posting this Steve. :)

I've downloaded the demo but haven't tried it yet. Judging by what others are saying on the Sydec forum this EQ is a definite winner for those wanting this type of EQ. I'm sure I'm going to like it as I've used the analog API EQ's quite a lot. It'll be cool to hear your comparisons with the hardware... looking forward to that.

According to Vintage King they should start shipping the API 5500 EQ in a week or two. I'm planning to install the EACM-1 EQ demo at the same time so I can make a decision whether to get one or the other (or both!) - and I'll try to post some examples of the same material run through both - it will be interesting to hear what people think of the real analog vs. modelled digital a/b's. It might get a little hectic to do this as this all hits during the pre-holiday madness - but if I can swing it I'll definitely put a post up here.

Looks like the SSL deal is bringing some nice additions to the Sydec world very quickly. Cool stuff.

Yeah - very nice to see their developments. Although kind of what I expected to see when the big boss is ummm....Peter Gabriel!

Anyway - seems the recent marketing attittude / business plan for the Sydec stuff has been more on the lines "if you can't beat them, join them" as they've been pushing more their hardware options and its compatibility with a very wide range of DAW softwares (including a number of recently introduced i-Box'es aimed at PT HD users) than their own Soundscape DAW app.

Really nice to see them featuring a full page regarding their support for SAWStudio (including having the only soundcards that supports Bob's DWave driver protocol) here:

http://www.sydec.be/Applications/Soundscape/Articles/ID/b079cd99-6c46-45a8-953d-80f1d4ff6a7b/Soundscape+power+for+SAWStudio™/

Best regards,
Steve Berson

Perry
11-13-2006, 09:50 PM
According to Vintage King they should start shipping the API 5500 EQ in a week or two. I'm planning to install the EACM-1 EQ demo at the same time so I can make a decision whether to get one or the other (or both!) - and I'll try to post some examples of the same material run through both - it will be interesting to hear what people think of the real analog vs. modelled digital a/b's. It might get a little hectic to do this as this all hits during the pre-holiday madness - but if I can swing it I'll definitely put a post up here.

Yeah - very nice to see their developments. Although kind of what I expected to see when the big boss is ummm....Peter Gabriel!

Anyway - seems the recent marketing attittude / business plan for the Sydec stuff has been more on the lines "if you can't beat them, join them" as they've been pushing more their hardware options and its compatibility with a very wide range of DAW softwares (including a number of recently introduced i-Box'es aimed at PT HD users) than their own Soundscape DAW app.

Really nice to see them featuring a full page regarding their support for SAWStudio (including having the only soundcards that supports Bob's DWave driver protocol) here:

http://www.sydec.be/Applications/Soundscape/Articles/ID/b079cd99-6c46-45a8-953d-80f1d4ff6a7b/Soundscape+power+for+SAWStudio™/

Best regards,
Steve Berson

Steve,

Thanks man! Just when you have the time to get to it you know; I look forward to the comparisons of the API hardware and the software emulation.

And yep... that page with the photo of SAWStudio and the iBox together is pretty darn cool! :cool:

Also, looks like the SSL EQ is out now as well!

Thanks again Steve! :)

Perry

Dingo
05-27-2008, 05:06 PM
I know this is a blast from the past, but I'm wondering what you guys think of the plugin vs the hardware? Considering the plug myself...

Dingo
05-27-2008, 06:02 PM
No comparison in that the software is better? :p

DominicPerry
05-28-2008, 10:59 AM
Not to say this isn't a good product, but....

The 550B wasn't "venerable" by any stretch.:) The 550A, and the 560 were the beloved EQs of the API line. The 550B had four bands instead of three, and different frequency centers, but it just didn't have the same classic sound. It came much later....after the company was sold I think....I believe the story at the time was different transformers.

Having used both hardware versions...and very recently....there is no comparison....but that's just my opinion.

I doubt if any of this has anything to do with digital audio by Sydec. Nice five band picture though.:)

Mark

I find it pretty hard to understand people feeling affection towards an EQ module;), but hey, maybe I'm not a real engineer:D.

In the context of the hardware v software debate, I'm guessing that Mark and Steve are actually both on the same side in believing that some of the classic hardware really hasn't been replaced by plug-ins. So my question is, is that true for modern outboard hardware too? For those of us not wanting to by vintage API or Neve, do the best modern outboard solutions measure up or is this a bit like the 'only the 1966 U47 sounds good and everything built ever since is rubbish' debate?

Dominic

Cary B. Cornett
05-29-2008, 05:49 AM
In the context of the hardware v software debate, I'm guessing that Mark and Steve are actually both on the same side in believing that some of the classic hardware really hasn't been replaced by plug-ins. So my question is, is that true for modern outboard hardware too? For those of us not wanting to by vintage API or Neve, do the best modern outboard solutions measure up or is this a bit like the 'only the 1966 U47 sounds good and everything built ever since is rubbish' debate? When I worked in a studio that had Urei 1176 and LA-2A comp/limiters (a few of each), not to mention Pultec EQ's and such, there was no sense of "OOOH! Here's the MAGIC SOUND!" about them (the only outboard box that really impressed the engineers was a Fairchild 670 that I put back into service). They were just the tools we had available, so we used them.
Since I got into using SawStudio to mix "in the box", I have NEVER missed those "wonderful vintage pieces". Do they have a particular sound? Sure! :rolleyes: Is that sound ABSOLUTELY ESSENTIAL to getting a genuinely creatively worthwhile mix? No. :p As with any other "new tool", you have to find the settings that work best with a given plugin, and of course some plugins are better than others (same as happened with the old analog outboard boxes).

When I mix, I don't pine away for the sound I used to be able to get, I look for the best sound I can get NOW with what I have. Come to think of it, that's exactly what I did when we worked with the Big Iron... :eek:

Oh, and I remember an engineer who 30 years ago griped about people in recording "searching for the Lost Sound"! Seem things haven't really changed much in that regard... :D

Naturally Digital
05-29-2008, 09:27 AM
And I would also comment that what you call a "particular sound", other would refer to as "stunning" as compared to their digital wannabees...in particular...the Pultec EPQ1A, IMHO. Generally speaking, most of the plug-ins that claim to emulate their analog counterparts may have a "particular sound" compared to other plugs, but don't even come close to the real thing.http://www.kvraudio.com/news/9298.html

Perry
05-31-2008, 05:13 PM
Well put Cary. :)

Sometimes (emphasis on 'sometimes' here) I do miss the 'old' boxes and their 'sound'... BUT.... I do agree with what you've stated here. Now is now... and the sound now is what we are dealing with. It's not nostalgia for me with the old stuff... I just liked some of it a lot.

As to the emulations... some are amazing and we've come along way in the digital domain and there are amazing sounds available 'in the box' now.

FWIW I bought the 'Neveish' EQ clone from SSL Soundscape. I like it a lot and use it a lot. At least as much as the UA version, which I still use as well. LOVE the interface on the Soundscape vesion!

And I still plan to get the API style EQ from SSL-Soundscape as well but so far haven't... money has mostly been going towards vintage analog mic pres and such that I have been acquiring and restoring. Just bought six channel strips (with EQ) out of an 'APIish' :rolleyes:;):) ADM console from a fellow in Austin, Tx.
Very 'APIish'! :D (really)

The lot of the recording bunch has essentially always, on the whole, been a very 'superstitious' bunch or whatever about the 'magical' sound and what combination of boxes and mics will achieve that. It's sorta funny to watch sometimes.

To me it isn't the boxes so much as what a person does with them and as Cary put it.. it's mostly just a case of the situation being that people used what they had available to use.. and that included those 'now' vintage units we love to lust after (well, some of us anyway). And now it hasn't changed all that much with plug-ins... the debates are endless, as are the opinions.

But it is interesting to now have a new, fresh point of view on the vintage pieces. Personally, some of that 'vintage' stuff I no longer even care for in particular but.... But... ahh.. well, some of that stuff IS still cool. :)

Perry

Ollie
06-04-2008, 08:37 AM
Mark,
I agree that the 550a and the 550's in my experience are the sweetest of the API's. That being said, the 550b has a real place on certain items where a little more surgical eq is needed. By the way, my buddy just got an old API 1604 console. He has tons of eq's 550's, 550a, and 550b. He said the 550b's in that console shined much better than in an outboard situation. The console it self helped impart some of the mojo to the eq.

Not to say this isn't a good product, but....

The 550B wasn't "venerable" by any stretch.:) The 550A, and the 560 were the beloved EQs of the API line. The 550B had four bands instead of three, and different frequency centers, but it just didn't have the same classic sound. It came much later....after the company was sold I think....I believe the story at the time was different transformers.

Having used both hardware versions...and very recently....there is no comparison....but that's just my opinion.

I doubt if any of this has anything to do with digital audio by Sydec. Nice five band picture though.:)

Mark

Perry
06-04-2008, 02:24 PM
..... He said the 550b's in that console shined much better than in an outboard situation. The console it self helped impart some of the mojo to the eq.

Indeed! A big part of the API 'sound' is the custom transformers. A BIG part of the 'Neve' sound as well is the transformers that were used in the vintage consoles. The transformers often arguably have more to do with the 'sound' than the actual op amp or other discreet components.

One of the things that differentiates the plug-in versions of some of this stuff in my opinion is that it *doesn't* include the 'sound' of other associated circuitry that we'd normally be hearing... including the transformer saturation in some cases. Isolating components is to by-pass some of the other circuitry that contributes to that 'mojo'. :)

The plug-ins are 'cleaner' and 'quieter'.... a plus or a minus, depending on one's point of view and expectations I guess.

My opinions here... ymmv.

Perry