PDA

View Full Version : Swapping Pre and Post FX?

Yura
08-31-2004, 12:02 PM
...just to move all numerous plugins from FX preF to FX postF or vise versa.
Time after time I neaded it really...
I see there it isn't provided.
does anybody nead it sometimes?

Bob L
08-31-2004, 07:58 PM
To be honest, I never remember needing to do that... I pretty much know where I want my plugins patched as I'm patching depending on what kind of effect I'm after.

Maybe I would change 1 or 2 around out of an entire 20-30 track project, and I simply unpatch and repatch... if the settings are critical, I simply save a preset first, the reload the preset after the re-patch.

I guess it may be a nice feature to flip the patch between pre and pst... actually should not be too hard to code.

We'll put it on the list... who knows.:)

Bob L

Craig Allen
08-31-2004, 08:33 PM
Bob,

What would you think about implementing some sort of drag and drop functionality with plug ins? Drag them from the FX Choice window to the Pre or Post window, or between the Pre and Post windows? Just a thought.

Yura
08-31-2004, 08:40 PM
Hmm, ok.
this is really much less important than some other things in SAW.
But if to be correct I describe why I needed this.
when to use recording through channel/s setup, there may be two possible results on recorded track: if use some plugin in pastFader, recorded track will be without its effect - while recording process we can hear processed signal.

this can be useful, understood why.

If use plugin in preFader, we will have recorded track with sound of that plugin, but we cannot say it's not useful in all situations and tasks. I needed such a way in many cases.

for instanse, when I record some live instrument, especialy guitar or synth, e.g. some instruments that may be changed in its sound nature within a session, I may change my mind which way is better to record it - dry or wet several times because of flexible way of inputing performance :)

Yura
08-31-2004, 08:56 PM
PS/
not to start a new thread for this...
one curios question.
when some works hard in SAW... I really wonder, those hot keys as "A" and "O" active only if MT window is active. but not within all mixer views... so many times needed to switch between A-notA, O-notO while I am over mixer views... no one mixer view has its own reserve for A or O or any other hot key... may be my way of work is so specific? I dont think. :)

Bob L
08-31-2004, 11:21 PM
Yura,

Originally I thought of the A (Automation) and O (Offset) toggles as a MultiTrack operation, although as the program truly evolved, I guess you could say both those functions completely involve the mixer views also. :)

I believe including those hotkeys in the Mixer views should not cause any problems... I'll look into it.

Bob L

Sebastian Eskildsen
09-01-2004, 01:47 AM
Hi Bob

Could "Q" and "Space" also be global :) ?

I know "Space" also activate play in the soundfile window,
personaly I donĀ“t need the keybord play shortcut in the soundfile
window.

Sebastian

Yura
09-01-2004, 06:06 AM
Yura,
Originally I thought of the A (Automation) and O (Offset) toggles as a MultiTrack operation, although as the program truly evolved, I guess you could say both those functions completely involve the mixer views also. :)

I believe including those hotkeys in the Mixer views should not cause any problems... I'll look into it.

Bob L

Thank you Bob for taking this to attention. Truly, this would be logicaly enough to expand all of hot keys avtivation on other windows that exactly have no problems with them.
for the instance, not only what about A, Q, O.... when we are over all of FX Windiws, it would be nice to have opportunity to use right-click for immediate MT playback, not exiting our FX window... Of course if you have not plan to implement any other right-click function into FX windows
:)

Bob L
09-01-2004, 09:51 AM
I have tried to utilize the power of hotkeys that work for different windows... this design concept opens up a much wider variety of available key options. So, in general, I hesitate to just blindly make every keystroke global, because that stomps on those possibilities... and once a keystroke is taken up, I have learned I cannot take it away from the users... if they get used to it working a certain way, and then I need to re-use that key later for a new feature that would require that keystroke... it becomes a very hassled experience.

So, I tend to leave things open, for future update possibilities.

Bob L

Carl G.
09-06-2004, 10:04 AM
Bob,
I'd vote for the Q, A, and O keys being global.
It would save some clicks in fast past production.
Carl G.

AudioAstronomer
09-06-2004, 10:21 AM
Q A O here as well. There's other's Id like, but I can see it getting in the way of other updates.

TotalSonic
09-06-2004, 10:38 AM
I agree - Q A O being global would be a cool thing.

Best regards,
Steve Berson

Bob L
09-06-2004, 11:45 AM
Updates are coming soon... I'll see what I can do. :)

Bob L

Jon Stoll
09-06-2004, 02:05 PM
One of the reasons that I still use the Mackie control is that the transport keys always work regardless of which window has focus. Also, the scroll wheel is a very convenient feature. I usually run it with the faders switched off, but everything else active. The timer display is always active, so you don't have to be able to see it in every view. I've said it before: Bob's implementation is the best I've seen for this controller.

Regards
Jon