PDA

View Full Version : hi bob - Alphatrack?

trock
12-09-2006, 11:00 AM
Hey bob

was wondering if you would consider writing a template for this piece to go along with the tranzport??

http://www.frontierdesign.com/Products/AlphaTrack

and if they wouldn't send you one if i bought it i would send it to you.

Bob L
12-09-2006, 03:23 PM
I have a beta from Frontier... and I mean beta... its a circuit board screwed to a piece of plywood. :)

I am looking at the template code now... not sure when they will actually be released.

Bob L

trock
12-09-2006, 04:12 PM
get the heck out!!

on plywood?? you should post a pic of that, thats funny!!

i really think this and the tranzport would be a great 1-2 punch to go along with SAW.

thanks for doing this!!

Bob L
12-09-2006, 04:21 PM
I'm grateful to Barry for sending it out to me... it is quite a sight... but I feel it should probably remain private. :)

Bob L

trock
12-09-2006, 04:31 PM
ah thats true, don't want to give away the secrets. well that very cool, i tink these will go togeher with SAW perfectly. very exciting, probably alot easier to support to then 72 faders!

soundtrack2life
12-09-2006, 09:22 PM
What year????:rolleyes: I mean if Bob is working off of plywood . . . . Hey maybe this would be a good match with SAW's wood grain shade :) Just kidding of coarse. I am actually very interested in this as I own the Tranzport and love it!
Joe

trock
12-10-2006, 03:43 PM
bob do you tink your code will coincide with the release of the product next month?

Bob L
12-10-2006, 10:27 PM
Hopefully... we'll see.

Bob L

Perry
12-10-2006, 11:00 PM
I really hope this works out (and I have a feeling it will!) because this seems it would be PERFECT for SAWStudio!

With the fader tracking the "hot track" in SAWStudio this would be fantastic!

Hoping,

Perry

Naturally Digital
12-11-2006, 12:36 AM
I really hope this works out (and I have a feeling it will!) because this seems it would be PERFECT for SAWStudio!

With the fader tracking the "hot track" in SAWStudio this would be fantastic!I couldn't agree more Perry! Like... if I agreed any more I'd be... uh, ... Hm.

Looking forward to this one.

Cheers!

Rabbit
12-11-2006, 04:15 AM

With the fader tracking the "hot track" in SAWStudio this would be fantastic!

Hoping,

Perry

If it's fully functional with SAW, sign me up. :)

Hoping too,

Carey Langille
12-11-2006, 06:00 AM
Seems like it will be a nice addition..I will add it to Sawstudio to have a fader and the transport for when needed.. They seem to have a fully working one ""IN A CASE"":) on the demo on their website.....

trock
12-11-2006, 07:26 AM
I was wondering bob how much of it worked right out of the box with SAW and the protocols it supports?? is it something that already worked alot and you just added to it? or did you have to start from scratch on it?

Bob L
12-11-2006, 08:59 AM
It s a complete rewrite do to the readout display having less charaters... this is unfortunate, because there were so few characters to work with on the Tranzport and in my opinion, the readout display is a major part of the design.

Many of the basic buttons worked as the Tranzport, but this has no real meaning in the scope of the rest of the needed functionality.

As I have said many ytimes before... each controller requires a dedicated code design to integrate it fully into the system in a fashion that makes sense for the controller layout.

Bob L

trock
12-11-2006, 12:35 PM
i understand, thanks for doing this one. i think you should just do this and the tranzport, and if you really wanted the MCU and 16 other faders for 24 and walk away. that way anyone could really fit into SAW what they wanted to use. the mackie stuff is used by everyone, and could be a good standard, and bank jumping 24 faders would be great. and i think this woud be very appealing to alot of people who want that look in front of them

just my opinion

i sold my MCU but will be getting the alpha track to work with my tranzport.

thanks bob

Tim Miskimon
12-11-2006, 09:45 PM
So will the Alphatrack & Tranzport work together using the same Midi device & template setup?
I've only seen a few ads and haven't read much about it.

Bob L
12-11-2006, 10:41 PM
Nope... they would require different templates... you are asking for a fantasy... each one of these devices is completely different from the next... even devices from the same company... oh well.

Bob L

Tim Miskimon
12-12-2006, 09:22 AM
Nope... they would require different templates... you are asking for a fantasy... each one of these devices is completely different from the next... even devices from the same company... oh well.

Bob L

That's what I thought - I read Trock's post where he stated that he sold his MCU but will be getting the alpha track to work with his tranzport.
I thought I might have missed something amazing - that Frontier might have found a way to use these two controllers in tandem. Oh well nice fantasy while it lasted...:D

trock
12-12-2006, 09:37 AM
ah, sorry bout that, just meant to have each of them seperately!!

Bob L
12-12-2006, 09:56 AM
If there were no overlapping control assignments between the two, then it would be easier to accomodate one large template... but some of the control assignments overlap... then others are completely different... then the display readouts are different... it gets a little crazy to deal with.

If I felt passionate about control surfaces, of course I could design in all kinds of details for templates on multiple midi channels at the same time... but I am sorry to say... I find the control surface thing a bit boring now that the virtual is so enhanced. :)

Bob L

trock
12-12-2006, 11:35 AM
bob how do you actually code this? do they give you their code for the product and you sort of match it in SAW, tying the SAW controls to their's?

i am just curious how it all works. and if your stuff is in assembly and their's is in say C++ or whatever, how does that all work

forgive the ignorance here

Bob L
12-12-2006, 12:11 PM
The control surfaces respond to midi commands. I program a template that sets the parameters for the midi input to scan for... then which functions to jump to when it sees that midi data and then what midi data to send back to the controller when that function is executed...

It gets quite involved to control the readout displays and lights and fader motors and so forth all at the proper time and with the proper data values.

It also has to work both ways... you can control from the SS interface or the control surface and each has to respond to the other.

Bob L

trock
12-12-2006, 12:37 PM
ah

well that clears that up :)

not being a programmer at all i find it fascinating how you guys and make this all work. Do you find the frontier design stuff pretty well laid out and made?

Bob L
12-12-2006, 07:44 PM
I have not really used much of the Frontier cards since long ago when we all switched to NT and there were never any NT drivers for the cards... oh well.

Barry's work is generally excellent quality though

Bob L

lofi studios
12-26-2006, 11:26 AM
i've got a bcr2000 and kenton control freak that i used with c/base, looks like the're destined for evilbay, hope you manage to find time to get this running ok bob, as it looks just the sort of thing i could make use of!!

MikeDee
12-26-2006, 04:05 PM
If there were no overlapping control assignments between the two, then it would be easier to accomodate one large template... but some of the control assignments overlap... then others are completely different... then the display readouts are different... it gets a little crazy to deal with.

If I felt passionate about control surfaces, of course I could design in all kinds of details for templates on multiple midi channels at the same time... but I am sorry to say... I find the control surface thing a bit boring now that the virtual is so enhanced. :)

Bob L

Bob, in the case of, say, two overlapping control assignments, can one of them be remapped (as when remapping patches to values higher than 128 in the old days [e.g., E-mu Proteus 1])? Or is it a bit more involved?

Just asking...I'm still not sure whether I want an Alphatrack at all...in fact, I usually don't use my TranzPort unless I'm laying down my own vocals.

To me, a control surface is merely an added convenience...the key word being "added." I'm extremely content with the SAW paradigm...I'd rather learn how to perform a task within SS rather than learn how to work a new control surface (a peripheral device). I simply don't feel that the redirected effort is a worthwhile tradeoff for the *added* convenience of a control surface. The TranzPort is more of an "exception," rather than a "rule," given my application of the device...its small footprint and wireless capability give me freedom to move about the studio and track vocals away from the noisy equipment...but I can do without it when I'm sitting at the laptop.

To make a short story long, this is MY personal view...to each his/her own. Er...sorry for sorta goin' off on a tangent...didn't mean to HJ this thread. :D

Regards to All Readers! :)

Bob L
12-27-2006, 01:10 AM
If the controller hardware is looking for specific midi codes to do a particular function, there is nothing I can do in SS to fix an overlap... the hardware must be capable of being changed... the Frontier boxes are not programmable by the user.... as far as I know.

Bob L

ivan40
12-27-2006, 01:41 AM
Interesting, As I've been in front of my Internet Computer a lot lately, This is also where I'm giving SAW a really good going over. Wow, very impressive program indeed. When it comes to a 'surface' I already have a large console that I will continue to use. Even if I start mixing mostly in the box, the console is a great Monitor pathway, a place to plug in multiple two tracks, control a bunch of monitors, pre amps and all that but for mixing in SAW, so far, I like a stationary Ball mouse with a wheel. I know a guy who's using the Mackie and loves it {with SAW} but I'm finding it so easy to get around in the SAW mixer that I don't feel I need a surface. This has really surprised me as this is certainly the most mixing I've ever done with a mouse. {I'm dragging old files from OLD OLD sessions into SAW to learn the program. These mixes are better! Go figure!}

Ivan..............................

jazzydaw
02-01-2007, 07:16 AM
With an actual ship date upon us, maybe
we could revisit this thread.
The alphatrack looks to have much potential
as a addition to my trackball and my keyboard.
This is true of course only if the potential of
the device can actually realized in Studio.
My question to Bob is , After playing with
the alphabetaTrack for a while - is it working
in a practical way with Studio. Are you
able to code in the features that you want to.
Any other hints or comments you may have after having
hands on.

Thanks very much for everything,
James Murphree

DominicPerry
02-01-2007, 08:06 AM
I'm interested to know why this particular device has caused so much excitement - would someone please explain?:)

Dominic

Bob L
02-01-2007, 08:29 AM
The small number of display characters has really caused me grief with this controller... I still have not settled on a good solution yet.

Bob L

TotalSonic
02-01-2007, 01:29 PM
Well seems my CM Motor Mix stopped working yesterday - and it's way out of warranty :( - but frankly I also don't need all the faders for nearly everything I do - I mainly use it as a transport for my "playback" DAW for when I have my 2nd "recording" DAW on screen (both are connected to the same dual monitor via KVM) - but it is nice to have a fader or knob you can grab hold of once in a while too - so I figured changing to the Alpha Track might make a nice replacement for the Motor Mix - so count me in as one of the ones who is also interested in seeing you get a template completed for it.

Best regards,
Steve Berson

Rabbit
02-01-2007, 02:18 PM
I sure hope this works out too. It's about perfect for what I need.

mOjO Fet
02-01-2007, 04:12 PM
I would be interested too.

Does anybody know how the fader feels?
Does it give you a sense of depth when moving like on a good console?

thx
Michael

Cary B. Cornett
02-02-2007, 07:37 AM
I'm interested to know why this particular device has caused so much excitement - would someone please explain?:)

Dominic As cool as the motorized 8-fader packs can be, for some users they take up just a bit more space than is convenient. In mixing, many, if not most, of us have become accustomed to using just one fader at a time, so multiple faders are not all that important. OTOH, that ability to have a single-fader device that can fit comfortably next to the keyboard and trackball is, for some, a wonderful ergonomic convenience. Once you have abandoned that albatross called a full-size mixing console, having a really small control station becomes really seductive. This is part of the reason that my Behringer BCF-2000, which is very useful in live sound mixing situations, has so far seldom been even hooked up, much less used, in my home studio: I have not found a convenient place for it that allows me to stay centered in front of the speakers while making adjustments.

A BCF-2000, compact as it is, will not fit into as small a space as the Alphatrack apparently can. :(

Jon Stoll
02-02-2007, 10:08 AM
This Alphatrack device really sounds like the ticket. I have a Mackie control, but only use it for a few functions. The Alphatrack could easily take over and I could then sell the Mackie. What a great device this would be!

Regards,
Jon

trock
02-02-2007, 05:23 PM
one thing i read somewhere and to keep in mind, and i hope i quote this somewhat corectly, the people at frontier design always say how impressed and over the top bob's programming of such devices always is. so if we get this is will be extremely cool

Rabbit
02-02-2007, 05:33 PM
one thing i read somewhere and to keep in mind, and i hope i quote this somewhat corectly, the people at frontier design always say how impressed and over the top bob's programming of such devices always is. so if we get this is will be extremely cool

I have no doubt that it will be. :)

lofi studios
04-22-2007, 05:42 AM
its now got asfar as the UK, so should i rush out and buy it, or is there still some tweaking to do?

Iain

Bob L
04-22-2007, 07:11 PM
I hope to have my template done in a few weeks.

Bob L

lofi studios
04-23-2007, 12:43 AM
your the MAN!!

paul kostabi
05-28-2007, 07:46 PM
was this soerted out?
AlphaTrack works on Windows XP and Mac OS X (including Intel Macs) with applications such as Pro Tools, SONAR (4+), Reason (3.01+), Cubase (3.02+), Nuendo (3.02+), Digital Performer (5+), Final Cut Pro, Soundtrack Pro, and REAPER. Support for more applications will be added regularly.

lofi studios
05-29-2007, 12:36 AM
but you have to remember that templates are integrated very deeply into SAW, Bob makes them seemless, i can wait to have a perfect implementation rather than the adhoc that some of these end up with in other apps (the presonus has had mixed reviews because of this)

Iain

jazzydaw
05-29-2007, 12:43 PM
I've read all the latest post and I'm still not clear as to the
statur/probability of the Alphatrack support in Studio...
Where are we now and where are we going and is there
an arrival time....

James Murphree

Bob L
05-29-2007, 01:37 PM
I am now just seting up my ofice and development machines in the new building... then I can get back to coding... first on the list is to finish up the AlphaTrack template and update SS with the new routines to support the special controls like the touch bar.

I am hopeful this will happen within the next 2 weeks... unless another unforseen circumstance interferes with my life path again. :)

Bob L

AudioAstronomer
05-29-2007, 02:08 PM
Good luck bob!

I managed to have my house flooded once.. we're STILL dealing with stuff from that. I cant even begin to imagine what you're going/gone through.

trock
05-29-2007, 07:43 PM
Bob do you use the tranzport or will you use something like the alphatrack ever?? just curious

and in SAW will you have to select which device you want to use or will you be able to use them both at the same time??

i ask because i roll over to my triton keyboard to play tracks but am far enough away from the PC to need the tranzport and sometimes i roll back and start fiddling with the MCU i had, (now replaced by the alpha) but had to switch back to the MCU before i could use it etc. it would be reallynice to have them both going at the same time and not have to switch devices in the menu. or is this the MIDI channel thingy?

i am clinging to the hope i can keep SAW, if i sell my baby the quartet i will be able to and the alphatrack and tranzport will be my 2 remaining pieces of gear

Perry
05-29-2007, 09:59 PM
I am now just seting up my ofice and development machines in the new building...

Bob L

All the absolute best to you Bob.... hope all goes excellent with the new setup. :)

Perry

Bob L
05-30-2007, 09:32 AM
I use the Tranzport as a wireless remote in the vocal booth....

At the moment, SS can only access one midi control template at a time, so you will have to decide which controller you need to use and open that template... then change templates if you want to switch.

I do have it on the list to open up multiple controller ports and possibly different templates at the same time... but it is not very high on my list compared to many other things I find more useful.

Bob L

Craig Allen
05-30-2007, 10:05 AM
I do have it on the list to open up multiple controller ports and possibly different templates at the same time... but it is not very high on my list compared to many other things I find more useful.
This would be an incredible addition for me - probably the most useful enhancement you could add. Plus I don't think there is another DAW that can do this - it would put SAW in a class by itself as far as control surfaces goes. I understand it isn't top priority, but I appreciate you even considering it! :D

ambler
05-30-2007, 11:25 AM
This would be an incredible addition for me - probably the most useful enhancement you could add. Plus I don't think there is another DAW that can do this - it was put SAW in a class by itself as far as control surfaces goes. I understand it isn't top priority, but I appreciate you even considering it! :D

I agree, this would be a fantatsic addition for me too.

Mark

jazzydaw
08-08-2007, 06:07 AM
Just Checking

JDM

TotalSonic
10-09-2007, 11:12 AM
Bumping this to the top as I stopped by the Frontier Designs booth at this past weekend's AES to say hello to them, and got to check out the Alphatrack. I talked to a very friendly rep named I think Jim, and thanked him for the continued support of SAWStudio, and he let me know that they really appreciated the work Bob did with their products as well.

Anyway - I got to play around with it for a little bit and it definitely seems a very cool controller that has all the functions I would need in a fairly small footprint. The multifunction ribbon controller in particular (just below the transport controls) seems like it could be a cool thing depending on what implementation it was given. So: let me join a bunch of other folks here by stating that I'm looking forward to the release of the template for it as well!

Here's a shot of it from the show:
http://www.totalsonic.net/aes/fd_alpha.jpg

Best regards,
Steve Berson

Fat Cat Music
10-09-2007, 01:34 PM
Hello Bob,
I can not speak for anyone else but I would have no problem paying for a template for the Alphatrack. I buy plug-ins that are much less usefull than the Alphatrack could be.
Just hoping,
DRBurroughs

TotalSonic
10-09-2007, 01:54 PM
Hello Bob,
I can not speak for anyone else but I would have no problem paying for a template for the Alphatrack. I buy plug-ins that are much less usefull than the Alphatrack could be.
Just hoping,
DRBurroughs

DR -
I can't speak for Bob, but based on my recent conversations with him I'm pretty sure that an Alphatrack template is planned to be included in the upcoming 4.1 free update. We all just need to be a litte patient because coding to the quality level we're used to in all RML Labs products does indeed take some time, and Bob is just getting his studio & office set back up in his house after a long wait for repairs on his place.

Best regards,
Steve Berson

Perry
10-09-2007, 07:34 PM
I like the looks of the Alpha Track too... just giving Bob some breathing room; I'm sure he'll be getting to this for us. :)

Perry

Bob L
10-09-2007, 08:32 PM
Coming soon...

Bob L

Perry
10-10-2007, 02:10 AM
Coming soon...

Bob L

See! .... :D :)

Thanks Bob! :)

Seancom
11-19-2007, 02:25 PM
Hi Bob. Did you get that template made? We'd love to invest in a couple of these soon.

Happy Thanksgiving to all our American Saw-ers!

Bob L
11-19-2007, 06:41 PM
I am in the final cleanup of the template... and then I have to finish the SAWStudio update for all the features to work.

I probably will release the AlphaTrack template in Misc downloads first though and not have to rush the 4.1 update... at least the fader and most other functions will work for now with the current SAWStudio versions.

Bob L

mako
11-20-2007, 12:55 AM
Great stuff - thanks Bob.

mako

lofi studios
11-20-2007, 05:18 PM
as we like to say this side of the water

ooose ze man?
yoooze da man!!

thanks Bob