PDA

View Full Version : VSTi output assignment

beyarecords
12-11-2006, 03:53 PM
Hi,
in Nuendo when you instantiate a VSTi, say NI Kontakt, on a midi channel, and then switch to the mixer page you will see that 8 channels of the mixer have been assigned to that particular kontakt intsantiation. Does VSTi assignment work automatically in this manner or does one manually assign channels?

mOjO Fet
12-11-2006, 05:31 PM
Hi!

You have to click on the blue pyramid in the VSTi's window and there you choose "Assign Softsynth Multi-out Channels" from the pop-up menu.

Michael

Bob L
12-11-2006, 07:02 PM
I do not like many automatic assignment things... many times I want to patch something and only need a stereo output... it makes me crazy if it then takes up 8 or 16 channels because that is the max it can output.

So, I leave you be the engineer in charge... you may also find, as I have, that keeping VSTi synths as a single stereo device can be actually a lot easier and more manageble to work with if you are planning to drop the finished midi data into the SS MT as audio before you actually start the mixing process.

Using the BuildMix function allows you to drop the tracks in much faster than realtime when you go one instrument at a time... using the track selection features of SS and the MWS, you also will obtain better midi performance results tracking one item at a time... it unclogs the midi lines and improves timing.

Bob L

beyarecords
12-13-2006, 04:58 PM
Hi Bob,
thatnks for the explaination. I currently use Nuendo as I have mentioned, and I must agree that it does get a bit annoying after a while when you have got 3 Kontakt instances with 3 single voices on each, for example, and have 24 outputs assigned on the mixer!!!

Bob L
12-13-2006, 08:51 PM
Of course you can use the option in the VST window to assign multiple channels... but you select how many... they will assign to multiple adjacent tracks in the MT from the one the VST is patched into.

Bob L