PDA

View Full Version : Looping back audio

Brent Bennett
12-12-2006, 10:12 PM
How can I record the sound coming out of the RME 9652 without physically plugging the out to the in. Right now I can just use my patchbay on the console, but if there was an internal way to route the signal, that would be nicer.

My application is to record the sound from a stand alone synth to SawStudio. Back when computers couldn't handle all that stuff, I just used two computers... one to play and one to record.

Thanks.

Brent Bennett
12-12-2006, 10:15 PM
Hey, I just created the 5000th SawStudio thread. My speakers are glowing and I hear cheering and there's some kind of confetti falling from the ceiling. :confused:

Oh well, I still have a loop back question. :eek:

Bob L
12-13-2006, 12:22 AM
Back when you used two computers you still had to connect a cable between them... so what is so different to loop a cable from the out to the in on the same computer?

Bob L

TotalSonic
12-13-2006, 12:54 AM
With the Sydec Mixtreme or Mixpander cards you can easily use the Soundscape Console software to rout virtually from one application to another or send & buss audio streams to where ever you want them. RME's Total Mix doesn't have similar abilities?

Anyway - I haven't tried to use it in a long while so I can't speak on them regarding stability - but one solution to virtual routing is to use "Virtual Audio Cable" from Ntonyx - http://www.ntonyx.com/vac.htm

Best regards,
Steve Berson

mikebuzz
12-13-2006, 02:05 AM
Should;nt he be able to select a device out of the synth and select that same device as the input of the recording channel ???

Later
Buzz
:confused:

Marvin
12-13-2006, 04:23 AM
With the Sydec Mixtreme or Mixpander cards you can easily use the Soundscape Console software to rout virtually from one application to another or send & buss audio streams to where ever you want them. RME's Total Mix doesn't have similar abilities?

Most HDSP cards from RME have an internal loop back function. Unfortunately for me, the HDSP 9652 is the only one that doesn't have it. RME says the the DSP was full...

If I need to loopback anything, I use the SPDIF out/in.

// Marvin

Brent Bennett
12-13-2006, 08:52 AM
Back when you used two computers you still had to connect a cable between them... so what is so different to loop a cable from the out to the in on the same computer?

Bob L

Nothing so different, except I want a permanent setup. If I switch cables to do that, I have to climb behind the rig in the dark (my flashlight is always dead:eek: ) and I can never remember which adat line went to which hole and if this is my adat 1 or 2 or ?? Once they come out, it seems I usually end up pulling all 6 and reconnecting them one at a time.

I can currently just use a TT patch cable on the patchbay to do the same thing, but I am trying to accomplish a different method.

Although the days of 2 computers looked very impressive to some clients. But that was only because I was using 2 crappy computers. :o

Brent Bennett
12-13-2006, 08:54 AM

Anyway - I haven't tried to use it in a long while so I can't speak on them regarding stability - but one solution to virtual routing is to use "Virtual Audio Cable" from Ntonyx - http://www.ntonyx.com/vac.htm

Best regards,
Steve Berson

Thanks Steve, I'll check it out.

Brent Bennett
12-13-2006, 08:55 AM
Should;nt he be able to select a device out of the synth and select that same device as the input of the recording channel ???

Later
Buzz

That was my first thought, but it didn't route that way. I could never get sound.:(

Brent Bennett
12-13-2006, 08:56 AM
Most HDSP cards from RME have an internal loop back function. Unfortunately for me, the HDSP 9652 is the only one that doesn't have it. RME says the the DSP was full...

If I need to loopback anything, I use the SPDIF out/in.

// Marvin

I may use the SPDIF out and back in. I can leave the cable connected all the time. I'm not using the SPDIF anyway. :D

mikebuzz
12-13-2006, 05:12 PM
Hey Brent you should be able to select like device 6 for your output of the synth and then select device 6 as your device in on the recording track ! ,make sure you are in LIVE mode or have rcd/rdy engaged ??? might be worth a try ?

LAter
Buzz

PS: It seems as though this should work ?? :confused:

mOjO Fet
12-13-2006, 05:53 PM
I'm not sure if the RME 9652 has TotalMix (I have a fireface) if so you could route the audio back to the daw by selecting any output channel while pressing ctrl.

You could also have a permanent setup via spdif from one soundcard to the other if you have two. Assign the standalone to one card and go thru spdif to the other.

Michael

Brent Bennett
12-13-2006, 06:30 PM
Hey Brent you should be able to select like device 6 for your output of the synth and then select device 6 as your device in on the recording track ! ,make sure you are in LIVE mode or have rcd/rdy engaged ??? might be worth a try ?

LAter
Buzz

I'm not using the synth in SawStudio. I'm using it as a stand alone app, so the routing internally doesn't work.

Craig Allen
12-13-2006, 07:25 PM
I'm not sure if the RME 9652 has TotalMix (I have a fireface) if so you could route the audio back to the daw by selecting any output channel while pressing ctrl.
Doesn't work on the 9652. The Digiface will do it, however.

Dave Labrecque
12-14-2006, 03:01 PM

Later
Buzz

Device out of the synth. But device in to a recording channel. Thus the need for a loop-back. :)

Dave Labrecque
12-14-2006, 03:04 PM

LAter
Buzz

The recording track is looking for a device IN, not a device OUT. Unless you loopback from one to the other, it ain't happenin'. :)