PDA

View Full Version : Convolution Reverb?

Microstudio
12-15-2006, 01:20 PM
What Convolution Reverb plugins are working good in SAW?

What kind of power do you need to run these reverbs without any problems?

Perry
12-15-2006, 01:25 PM
What Convolution Reverb plugins are working good in SAW?

What kind of power do you need to run these reverbs without any problems?

As far as I know any of the VST Convolution Reverbs should work fine. I use SIR and it certainly works well... but does introduce considerable latency. Though this is automatically compensated for I guess this wouldn't be a good candidate for Live Mode.

I've meant to purchase the Voxengo one but so far have just kept using SIR. I did try the Voxengo demo and that seemed good in SAW.

Perry

mikebuzz
12-15-2006, 01:38 PM
I really like SIR use it all the time and now latency is not a problem ( as long as your not live like he said ? ) there are tons of impulses around also goto http://noisevault.com/nv/ for SIR and impulses.

LAter
Buzz

Microstudio
12-15-2006, 02:21 PM
What is the difference between the WAVES and Gigapulse programs, what do they do that the free ones don't. I don't plane on using them in LIVE mode.

I do hear that they really tax the cpu?

Sam C
12-15-2006, 02:32 PM
I have the Waves IR1. I can tell a big difference in the quality compared to SIR (free) or Convolution Boy (free). The Waves has a richer sound, better tails, and great theaters to select from. Yes, it is a CPU hog, about 15% per instance. For a final mix it is a great thing to ad!!

I have not used Altiverb.

mOjO Fet
12-15-2006, 02:34 PM
The Waves IR-1 is quite a CPU hog. I read somewhere that it does not do full convolution although it sounds good to my ears nevertheless...:)

I would recommend Pristine Space from Voxengo. It has a lot of parameters and has no latency (at least for most impulses) and it's quite CPU optimized.

SIR is nice too but aside from the latency it sounds so dirty compared to Pristine Space, but sometimes that can be nice too :D

Michael

mikebuzz
12-15-2006, 02:56 PM
Wow I never noticed SIR being DIRTY ??? , maybe it was the impulses ? I use mainly the EMT and some halls but you do have to be careful about CLEAN impulses !

LAter
Buzz

I'm still waiting for the DYNAMIC convo's !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sam C
12-15-2006, 03:18 PM
Wow I never noticed SIR being DIRTY ??? ,

The FCC has banned these impulses from any and all live broadcast! :p

mOjO Fet
12-15-2006, 03:22 PM
The FCC has banned these impulses from any and all live broadcast! :p
:D

Dave Labrecque
12-15-2006, 09:05 PM
I have the Waves IR1. I can tell a big difference in the quality compared to SIR (free) or Convolution Boy (free). The Waves has a richer sound, better tails, and great theaters to select from. Yes, it is a CPU hog, about 15% per instance. For a final mix it is a great thing to ad!!

I have not used Altiverb.

I can't imagine that different convolution reverb plugs sound different, unless there's some bad code in there. Aren't they simply as good/bad as the IR you load? Wouldn't the same IR in two different convolution plugs sound identical?

Microstudio
12-15-2006, 09:30 PM
I can't imagine that different convolution reverb plugs sound different, unless there's some bad code in there. Aren't they simply as good/bad as the IR you load? Wouldn't the same IR in two different convolution plugs sound identical?

From what I am finding out it looks like different programs have different ways of adjusting the impulse. This could make them sound different or maybe even better...:confused:

Dave Labrecque
12-15-2006, 09:32 PM
From what I am finding out it looks like different programs have different ways of adjusting the impulse. This could make them sound different or maybe even better...:confused:

I guess I can see different tweaks to the IR sounding different in different plugs, but all things being equal (i.e., no tweaks, just a straight up IR) in different convo plugs...

MMP
12-16-2006, 06:21 AM
There's a good bit of math involved, so I am sure the results could differ depending on the quality and bit depth of each program's formula.

Regards,

MM

Sam C
12-16-2006, 09:40 AM

It sounds like you have not listened to any Convo verbs? Maybe that would be a good starting point?

Or, is the argument; digital is 1's and 0's so all software recording programs
sound the same?

You cannot load Waves IR's into some programs and vice versa.

Sam C
12-16-2006, 09:45 AM

The microphones used, placement of mics, halls selected, and skill/
equipmnent of the engineer all have an effect on the impulse. If you don't find the programs you have to purchase sound better there are a ton of free impulses (i've collected 2 gigs) and two or three free convo verbs I am aware of.

antiClick
12-16-2006, 10:27 AM
Altiverb!
You can track with this...Almost no latency, no CPU hog, best impulses library. 500$

IMVHO

Microstudio
12-16-2006, 10:34 AM
The microphones used, placement of mics, halls selected, and skill/
equipmnent of the engineer all have an effect on the impulse. If you don't find the programs you have to purchase sound better there are a ton of free impulses (i've collected 2 gigs) and two or three free convo verbs I am aware of.

I am talking about the program that runs the impules. The impules just like you say are a whole different ball game.

2 gigs...:eek: Man I just want to get some real good impules and be done with it... I would spend to much time on listening to all the impules and go crazy..;)

Tim Miskimon
12-16-2006, 10:40 AM
What is the difference between the WAVES and Gigapulse programs,
About $300

what do they do that the free ones don't.
Cost more. Save your money & down load SIR. It works great with SS is free and has plenty of links to free impulses.

Tim

Tim Miskimon
12-16-2006, 10:47 AM
Altiverb!
You can track with this...Almost no latency, no CPU hog, best impulses library. 500$

IMVHO
I wasn't aware that Altiverb would run in SAW.
I thought it was a Mac only program.

Microstudio
12-16-2006, 10:50 AM
I wasn't aware that Altiverb would run in SAW.
I thought it was a Mac only program.

I think in version 5 they went to PC?

Tim Miskimon
12-16-2006, 11:15 AM
I think in version 5 they went to PC?

Hope you're right. I never really cared much for Waves Impulse player.
On the other hand I was always hoping Altiverb would find it's way on the PC. It's always been a top-notice plug in.

Sam C
12-16-2006, 02:45 PM
Hope you're right

They did.

I spent some time today with a friend who has Altiverb. It's interface is exceptional. It has a few features that set it apart. But when all was said and done Altiverb did not sound better just looked much, much better. Altiverb and Waves both sounded pretty damn good and both require a bit of time to get a handle on the possibilities when adjusting parameters.

Then he took out Wizzoo, which I had not spent anytime with. For a fraction of the price it sounded as good as the other two!!

Tim Miskimon
12-16-2006, 03:39 PM
They did.

Then he took out Wizzoo, which I had not spent anytime with. For a fraction of the price it sounded as good as the other two!!

Yeah,
Go figure....:)

mikebuzz
12-16-2006, 04:22 PM
Hell SIR is FREE and so are the impulses , cant beat that PRICE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Later
Buzz

AudioAstronomer
12-17-2006, 10:28 AM
Pristine Space beats them all by a long shot. Though it lacks the presets of altiverb or waves, I think "knowing what your doing" should be a reasonable pre-requisite for such things :D

http://www.voxengo.com/group/convolution/

Sam C
12-17-2006, 12:46 PM
Pristine Space beats them all by a long shot.

Yeah, I remembe you saying this before but.............I just can't hear the difference you do. I think Pristine Space is good, but not better than.

Microstudio
12-17-2006, 12:52 PM
Pristine Space beats them all by a long shot. Though it lacks the presets of altiverb or waves, I think "knowing what your doing" should be a reasonable pre-requisite for such things :D

http://www.voxengo.com/group/convolution/

Why does it beat them all?

AudioAstronomer
12-17-2006, 01:13 PM
In an absolute basic form, the sound is as good as the other leading convolution-based reverbs, but pristine space has many options and a lot of room for creativity.

Explore it a bit :D

Sam C
12-17-2006, 01:29 PM
In an absolute basic form, the sound is as good as the other leading convolution-based reverbs, but pristine space has many options and a lot of room for creativity.

I am not in the position to do that. I hope if someone does have time to explore they will explain what they find "better" about it.

I have all of the plugs I need, and probably then some, so I am unwilling to give any time to exploring others right now.

Maybe Micro will have an answer to share after his search.

mOjO Fet
12-17-2006, 04:49 PM

I have to agree here.:)

Sean McCoy
12-18-2006, 10:42 AM
I recently got the Waves IR-L (lite version) with an upgrade and downloaded all their impulses, and have to say I haven't used SIR since. While SIR is fine, the quality of the free impulses available around the web varies from good to downright terrible, while I've found the Waves impulses to be uniformly high quality. It is quite a hog and the Lite interface is extremely limited, but it really does sound good.