PDA

View Full Version : tapestyle request

bit
12-15-2006, 04:36 PM
Bob.
The tapestyle consept in 4.0 is great. And the duplicate mix function is a brilliant idea. The other day I worked this way with a singer for the first time. And I ran into a couple of traps/annoyances.

1. After having "the talk" with the singer with rec/ready engaged I constantly found myself hitting the spacebar to start SRP. Old habit. What happens then is that the engine stops. It would enhance workflow for me if I could still use the keyboard to start the "tape". I know I can hit it twice, but then I have to use the mouse again to restart the SS engine after next stop. Wouldn't it be better if hitting spacebar in rec/ready mode started SRP?

2. The duplicate mix to aux opens even the muted channels. So it's not exactly a duplication is it?:)

Bjørn

Bob L
12-16-2006, 12:05 AM
Well the mix duplication is only duplicating the faders and pans... the mutes depend on whether the aux is pre or post, doesn't it...

And, just because you mute a channel in the control room has nothing to do with whether or not the talent wants to hear it in their pre mix.

Use the track disable if you want no one to hear it.

I guess I am just a mouse guy at heart... if you click the SRP from REC/RDY mode, the system will return to REC/RDY mode when you click the stop button.

I will look into linking the keybopard commands in a similar fashion.

Bob L

bit
12-16-2006, 02:23 AM
Well the mix duplication is only duplicating the faders and pans... the mutes depend on whether the aux is pre or post, doesn't it...

And, just because you mute a channel in the control room has nothing to do with whether or not the talent wants to hear it in their pre mix.

Use the track disable if you want no one to hear it.

Bob L

Well I know. And that's what I did of course, but the duplicate mix function turns on all the aux sends. Not only the ones playing in the controll room. So you don't duplicate the mix. You duplicatete and add all the muted channels as well. As a starter I guess one can find the command a little misleading.
cheers
Bjørn

Bob L
12-16-2006, 10:33 AM
Well... now you that you know how it works... its no longer confusing... :)

As I said, I do not distinguish anything by mutes in that command... on purpose.

Obviously whenever you use Auxes for a headphones mix... one of the first things you want to do is solo the phones mix and make whatever adjustments that you feel are needed... at that point you can click the IN button off for any channels you do not want the talent to hear.

In general, you might want to try using the disable track command to hold onto tracks that are being saved for some reason that are not being used as part of the main mix... instead of keeping a whole list of tracks that are muted... that also gives back cpu time for the other tracks you are using... muted tracks eat cpu time and more so when they are muted due to the extra processing needed to keep them in sync in case you decide to unmute during playback.

Bob L

bit
12-16-2006, 11:36 AM
Well... now you that you know how it works... its no longer confusing... :)

As I said, I do not distinguish anything by mutes in that command... on purpose.

Obviously whenever you use Auxes for a headphones mix... one of the first things you want to do is solo the phones mix and make whatever adjustments that you feel are needed... at that point you can click the IN button off for any channels you do not want the talent to hear.

In general, you might want to try using the disable track command to hold onto tracks that are being saved for some reason that are not being used as part of the main mix... instead of keeping a whole list of tracks that are muted.
Bob L

hehe.
I'm still not convinsed. I just thought this was an excellent way to duplicate the main mix. Usually a good start for a headphone mix. And there will be more first timers that will do the same mistake I did:D ...... As you know not all mixing consoles are made the same way either. Even thou I knew that the mute was after the aux pf_send in the signal path, I didn't think of that when I "duplicated" the mix. But hey I didn't duplicate it. Nevertheles. I know how now. And I understand that it would be very messy to duplicate the mix entirely, with automation and all that.
Bjørn

Bob L
12-16-2006, 12:19 PM
If you are using the disable tracks as a default way of working, as I suggest, then it does duplicate the starting mix values of everything you are hearing in the main mix... and... if you want the aux to chase everything going on in the main mix, including automation, then you would use the aux in post mode. :)

Bob L

Carlos Mills
12-18-2006, 06:12 AM
Hey Bob,

(...) I guess I am just a mouse guy at heart... if you click the SRP from REC/RDY mode, the system will return to REC/RDY mode when you click the stop button.
I will look into linking the keybopard commands in a similar fashion.
Bob L

This would be a very welcomed feature (I mean, keyboard commands for it). Thanks for listening! (as usual) ;)

All the best,

Bob L
12-18-2006, 09:30 AM
Ok... the keyboard commands are linked to the Rec/Rdy mode toggling with some extra faetures added in the next update... coming soon.

Bob L

Larry Burger
12-18-2006, 09:56 AM
Bjorn:

One different approach you could take would be to go into the live mode.

When you hit the space bar the transport will start (until Bob decides if he will make a change).

You will return to the live mode so any talkback and monitoring of the artists will be constant.

Bob L
12-18-2006, 11:14 AM
Live mode will only activate monitors for Live Input channels... if you are assigning Record Inputs directly to devices, you need Rec/Rdy... but as mentioned in my previous message, the keyboard commands are now changed and flip back to Rec/Rdy mode as the mouse clicks do.

Bob L

mako
12-18-2006, 04:06 PM
Thanks Bob - I think this will suit me well too.

cheers

mako

bit
12-19-2006, 01:30 PM
the keyboard commands are now changed and flip back to Rec/Rdy mode as the mouse clicks do.

Bob L

HURRAy :-) Thanks Bob.
You make my life easier.

And my right hand hurt less.

Bjorn