PDA

View Full Version : Do Any Saw users have Drum Core?

Larry Burger
12-19-2006, 12:44 PM
Can you use Drum Core to replace drum tracks inside SAW..

Microstudio
12-19-2006, 03:58 PM
That looks like a great program and samples sound great. I don't see why it wont work at least by finding the samples and then import them into SAW. I do not know if you can import the samples in from the app like they show you can with PT. Maybe Bob knows more about this?

DavidandMary
12-19-2006, 09:27 PM
Hey Larry,

I am an admitted novice here and new to Saw Studio full. I have Saw Full and Drum Core 2.01 working together without much CPU hit. For better sounds, I export a loop from DrumCore II into my Saw project folder and import that audio file once I open Saw. That is a similar thing for me with Melodyne. I find it easier to just work with two apps instead of some Bridge but I digress...

Right now, I am playing around with this to get a feel for what it can do. So, I set the Drum Core outs to OUT 3-4 on my RME card and record that signal in Saw through Inputs 7-8. Either way is fun. But, the export/import is definitely the better sound since you don't have the extra conversion. I will try and route it through TotalMix later this week. That shouldn't be too hard and will keep it all digital.

The routing through TotalMix method would let me get ideas and make use of fills, etc. Saw is very stable in this manner. One thing to note, DrumCore II requires Quicktime on your computer. I really did not want that, but so far so good. It has something to do with auditioning the loops and MIDI files.

Speaking of MIDI, I just bought the MWS. I am reading the manual. That might be fun when I learn that SS add-on program. You could tweek things and make use of the different kits that way.

Anyway, I am a happy camper. Saw is absolutely the BEST. I have always been a MIDI guy until now. Saw is changing the way that I think and this is a big improvement here in Texas!

Brent Bennett
12-20-2006, 12:55 AM
Right now, I am playing around with this to get a feel for what it can do. So, I set the Drum Core outs to OUT 3-4 on my RME card and record that signal in Saw through Inputs 7-8. Either way is fun. But, the export/import is definitely the better sound since you don't have the extra conversion.

Don't you have digital ins and outs on your RME? At least the SPDIF?

mikebuzz
12-20-2006, 01:31 AM
Man how do your play MUSIC in MIDI ???? , no dis-respect but ??? , of course I have always been a player and only recently been playing with midi and synths/etc.
I just have a hard time seeing how you guys get ANY feel from MIDI ????

LAter
Buzz

PS: I do need some orchestral parts done tho !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

mOjO Fet
12-20-2006, 02:55 AM
Man how do your play MUSIC in MIDI ???? , no dis-respect but ??? , of course I have always been a player and only recently been playing with midi and synths/etc.

You get all the feel you need whether with a keycontroller or e-drum pads.
With low lantency I'm quite happy in virtual land...:D

Go for it!

Michael

Microstudio
12-20-2006, 05:50 AM

LAter
Buzz

Mike I could ask you the same question on how do you play music in the MT... it is really the same The only difference is that with midi after you have recorded you now can edit your proformance. Insted of choping up .wav file you edit the notes, how hard your press the key, how long you hold the key down.. your editing what your fingers did. Then you can do all the edites that you can do in the MT too.

There is no better or precise way to edit your music then in midi.

I used to think like you but once I opened my mind to the world of midi a ton of creation was at my finger tips and I found that it is very easy to make music in midi...:cool:

I m getting a TD20 Roland set and I will have tons of feel as I record into MWS..

Brent Bennett
12-20-2006, 05:56 AM

LAter
Buzz

The key is - don't quantize. :cool: Just play it again if it's off.

The midi thing (IMHO) would work best for regular musician tracking if it's used to fix a clunker note, or to change the key of the song without re-tracking. If you're in to high-tech pop beats and rhythms, then that's another story.

Brent Bennett
12-20-2006, 06:05 AM
I m getting a TD20 Roland set and I will have tons of feel as I record into MWS..

Micro, I've seen you post this before. I have the TD10 and love it... well part of it. I only use the toms and kick when tracking. I have tried tons of variations with the kit and have created my own tom and kick settings. You will thank yourself later when mixing if you use real cymbals and a real snare. Depending on the song and type of music, I will also sometimes use real toms.

This has worked great for me and I consistently get rave comments on my drum sounds from industry professionals here in town.

One other thing, disable all of the effects in the brain. No compression, no reverb, no room, nothing. That will get you started correctly with recording the TD sounds.

Microstudio
12-20-2006, 09:50 AM
Micro, I've seen you post this before. I have the TD10 and love it... well part of it. I only use the toms and kick when tracking. I have tried tons of variations with the kit and have created my own tom and kick settings. You will thank yourself later when mixing if you use real cymbals and a real snare. Depending on the song and type of music, I will also sometimes use real toms.

This has worked great for me and I consistently get rave comments on my drum sounds from industry professionals here in town.

One other thing, disable all of the effects in the brain. No compression, no reverb, no room, nothing. That will get you started correctly with recording the TD sounds.

Thanks Brent,

I do have my Slingerland set that I am not getting rid of and like you said I will use my real cymbals when I want. The whole thing for my is that the TD20 will give me the best of both worlds and like you said the drums sounds will be endless. I just think about how easy it will be to change sounds to any sample I want in perfect time in MWS or even the MT... NO DRUM BLEED!