PDA

View Full Version : Process/Mixdown

AcousticGlue
12-20-2006, 09:42 PM
When mixing down to new soundfile should the multitrack settings be conveyed in the top default settings in dialog box window? Such as, 48000/24 bit, would the dialog box keep that setting? Then with plugin on out track in post FX for 16 bit finalization the new mix would turn out at 16 bit? I have seen that when having multitrack set to 24 bit and 48000 the dialog window might say 44.1/16 bit. Do you have to save preference then shut down SAW then come back in before it will realize your multitrack settings?

Bob L
12-20-2006, 11:09 PM
When using the buildmix to new soundfile options, the dialog box should follow the current MT settings listed in the MT window titlebar.

If you change the MT settings to a different samplerate or bit depth, then select the buildmix command again, the dialog should reflect the new settings as the default.... of course you can click in the dialog box display zones and change them for the current build mix operation.

Once you override the settings there, they will remain in affect until you change the main MT settings again from the MultiTrack Menu.

Bob L

Bud Johnson
12-21-2006, 08:21 PM
Ummm,
In a 24B, 44.1k MT session, with waves L1, or IDR, set to 16B-dither x, loaded in the post fx output bus, should the build mix to new sound file settings be left at their default (24B-44.1k), or should it be set at 16B-44.1k-no dither?
(my wife will totally bust me for the run on sentence in the morning...)

If left at 24B, it leaves that info in the header so progs think it's a 24Bit file when it has been dithered down to 16bit by waves. So I've always assumed I should put the Build Mix settings on 16B-no dither and waves would then apply dither. Please say I haven't been truncating files and then adding dither, rather than converting and adding dither in the process. Please please tell me that!
Bud

I'm a "real" person now. I'm not only in the phone book!, I am a Saw Studio user! (but I'm not less filling anymore...)

Brent Bennett
12-21-2006, 10:03 PM
So I've always assumed I should put the Build Mix settings on 16B-no dither and waves would then apply dither. Please say I haven't been truncating files and then adding dither, rather than converting and adding dither in the process.

That's true Bud. If you use 24bit, you'll be creating a 24bit file. Your dither has already taken place by the time it hits that stage.

Bud Johnson
12-21-2006, 10:22 PM
Whew, Thanks Brent,
That's a load off. I just assumed, because when I considered the alternatives... none seemed like Saw logic.
Still, I really should have asked before.

Back to Mr. Incredibles with my 3 yr. old boy! (Way Fun)
Bud

Bob L
12-21-2006, 10:25 PM
The post patch is always handled at 24 bits... your dither plug would need this in order to add the dither correctly... the final res would then truncate the last 8 bits and give you the final 16 bit file... so yes... you would tell the mixdown to convert to 16 bits.

If the plug sets the dither bits in the proper 16 bit position... 8 bits up from the 24 bit data it receives, when the truncation shifts the bottom 8 bits away, you should be left with the proper results...

But this is all dependent on how the plug processes... you really would have to check it out.

I would recommend using the internal dither schemes or the Sonoris Native High resolution dither plugin, which handle this process correctly within the SS engine loop.

Bob L

Bud Johnson
12-21-2006, 11:52 PM
Does anyone know if waves L1 (I dont have 2) and / IDR plugs handle the bit reduction in the "proper" sequence? OR Have any reason to think they don't?
I use Sonoris Leveler, but I just bought Pieters multiband comp. and dither plugs. If you feel that strongly, I'll start using them. I need to rework some masters for a 2nd pressing, and this will provide an excellent chance to see any sound differences.
Bud