PDA

View Full Version : Create files from regions WITH processing

radiorog
12-26-2006, 02:56 PM
I'm working on a project with a single sound file cut into many different regions, each region edited with different volume, plug settings, etc. I need each region to end up as a separate sound file with the processing in effect. I realize I could highlight each region individually and Build/Mix each to a new file. But is there a way to do them all in one go? Sort of like Export Regions to Sound Files, but with the mixer processing in effect.

Thanks for any help.

Roger

Microstudio
12-26-2006, 04:45 PM
I'm working on a project with a single sound file cut into many different regions, each region edited with different volume, plug settings, etc. I need each region to end up as a separate sound file with the processing in effect. I realize I could highlight each region individually and Build/Mix each to a new file. But is there a way to do them all in one go? Sort of like Export Regions to Sound Files, but with the mixer processing in effect.

Thanks for any help.

Roger

Yes.

Just click on the number of each track in the MT, it will turn black. those tracks will render.

UpTilDawn
12-26-2006, 05:16 PM
You don't mention if your regions are all on one track, or many, but Micro brings up a good point in that it might be important to know to be able to help.
I think, however, that you could simply mark from the beginning of the first region to the end of the last region and then build mix to create one large soundfile that contains all the processed regions. This could then be split into individual files if needed.

Also, this from the new release notes for 4.0:

Two new options have been added to the Process/Mixdown menu called Export Track(s) To SoundFile(s) – [No Mixer Processing] and Export Track(s) To SoundFile(s) – [With Mixer Processing]. These options make it simple to export solid track wav files from SAWStudio to be easily used in any other DAW system. The first option bypasses all mixer channel processing and automation and outputs the source file region data, neatly assembled into a solid wav file. All edits and SoftEdges are processed for smooth transitions. The second option processes the data through the mixer channel controls, patched plugins and automation. Both options will translate the source files to the current MT SampleRate and Resolution settings.

If there are selected tracks, these options process all selected tracks only, otherwise all tracks are processed.

You are given a choice to process all layers or only the top layer. You are also asked to select a location for the exported files as well as a base filename. The base name (usually the edl name) will be appended with the track label and layer number if layers are chosen. I recommend creating a folder called Export in the project folder to separate all exported files for easy transfer to another system. A separate folder also helps to eliminate problems due to filenames matching existing source files in the current project folder. Duplicate filenames in the same folder will be overwritten.

I haven't had the time to check it out yet (but it's BIG on my list).
This may accomplish the task quite easily for you, if I understand your question.

DanT

radiorog
12-26-2006, 06:18 PM
Sorry, I guess I didn't make myself clear.

I have one sound file on one track. That's all - no other files on other tracks. One file on one track. That file (track) is cut into a number of different regions, with different processing applied to each region. I want to end up with each region mixing down into a separate file. So, if I have the single sound file cut into six regions, I want to eventually end up with six different sound files, each from one of the regions.

I could select/highlight each region and do a Build Mix six times to six different sound files. But I was looking for a way to do them all at once - the same idea as exporting regions to sound files, but with all mixer processing having the intended effect on the resulting separate files. (Exporting regions to sound files bypasses the processing.)

Hope that's clearer. Any ideas?

TIA.

ROger

Dave Labrecque
12-26-2006, 06:20 PM

Thanks for any help.

Roger

BFG (Batch File Generator) from www.jms-audioware.com was designed to do this kind of thing in one pass. Check it out.

But if it's only a few regions, marking the timeline and/or selecting tracks and doing a buildmix for each is pretty straightforward, I'd think.

Dave Labrecque
12-26-2006, 06:22 PM
BFG, my man. :)

Alternatively, you could copy the default track settings, including plug-ins, to several tracks below, and then move each region (with written automation) to a different track and use the new (with processing) build mix feature, though this would bypass any output or return processing, using only the processing set up on each track.

BFG is the cleanest route, especially for complex routings/assigments and large numbers of regions.

Microstudio
12-26-2006, 06:37 PM

I have one sound file on one track. That's all - no other files on other tracks. One file on one track. That file (track) is cut into a number of different regions, with different processing applied to each region. I want to end up with each region mixing down into a separate file. So, if I have the single sound file cut into six regions, I want to eventually end up with six different sound files, each from one of the regions.

I could select/highlight each region and do a Build Mix six times to six different sound files. But I was looking for a way to do them all at once - the same idea as exporting regions to sound files, but with all mixer processing having the intended effect on the resulting separate files. (Exporting regions to sound files bypasses the processing.)

Hope that's clearer. Any ideas?

TIA.

ROger

So you must be using automation to change effects for each region?

In the future you should move each region and you cut them to another track keeping it in the timeline.. then add your effects. Now you can render them all at once easy. The way you did it you have to do one at a time I am pretty sure.

mako
12-26-2006, 06:42 PM

>snip<

ROger

Roger - to keep it all in SS - make a cut at each section you want (k).

Control-drag each region to a new track e.g. region 1 to track 2, region 2 to track 3, etc.

Name each new track.

Do your processing setup for each individual track. Disable track 1.

Then, Export tracks to soundfiles with mixer processing.

mako

mikebuzz
12-26-2006, 11:53 PM
If you highlight the region from start to end you can move it to a new track along with all of the automation ( just tried it moved a region from trk 1 to 3 @ 0 time with automation ) however the FX will not move with it !!! if you have plugin FX they will need to be reset.

In the future setup each region on it's own track then you can process them all at 1 time WITH FX and Mixer settings/auto.

Later
Buzz

Veit Kenner
12-27-2006, 01:15 AM
I need each region to end up as a separate sound file with the processing in effect. ... Sort of like Export Regions to Sound Files, but with the mixer processing in effect.
Roger,

you can do it with a little trick.

First mix the entire track with processing to a new soundfile. Preferrably you call it the same as the original SF with "_processed" added.

Then you save the EDL under a different name, e.g. with "_export" added.

Now you should be in the "_export" EDL in SAWStudio already.

Open "View/File" window and you will see your original soundfile listed. Click on it once and from the triangle menu at the top right of the window select "Rename selected entries only" and in the upcoming box enter the name of the soundfile with the processed data. If you followed my recommendation you simply would add "_processed" to it.

Click OK, close the File window and click OK in the upcoming message box.

Now you have replaced your original soundfile with the processed soundfile and all regions are pointing to that one. A simple "Export Regions To Soundfiles" gives you what you are looking for.

There is one thing to be carefull about. You have to make sure that the first region from your original soundfile starts at the very beginning of the file otherwise region boundaries are offset and you will get a big mess :-)

Also consider that when you playback the file from the MT you will get double processing but this should be no problem since you are just exporting the regions.

Hope that helps,

Veit

Brent Bennett
12-28-2006, 05:19 AM
I want to end up with each region mixing down into a separate file. So, if I have the single sound file cut into six regions, I want to eventually end up with six different sound files, each from one of the regions.

Why don't you just buildmix the entire track, then open a new edl and import the buildmix file. cut it in your 6 regions and use your regions to soundfiles option.:confused:

mako
12-28-2006, 03:43 PM
I'm working on a project with a single sound file cut into many different regions, each region edited with different volume, plug settings, etc. >snip<
Roger

Roger needs different settings on each region.

mako

Sean McCoy
12-28-2006, 03:52 PM
Veit's suggestion is the most logical, and would certainly be the way to go if you had a great number of edited regions. For a small number like you have, you can also do a "buildmix to hot track" onto the next track to create one, new, uniquely named, processed file, then quickly duplicate your region boundary edits using the tab, K, and U or R keys. This can be done in seconds and would negate the need for multiple EDL's. You then export these new regions to individual files.

Brent Bennett
12-28-2006, 04:03 PM
you can also do a "buildmix to hot track" onto the next track to create one, new, uniquely named, processed file, then quickly duplicate your region boundary edits using the tab, K, and U or R keys. This can be done in seconds and would negate the need for multiple EDL's. You then export these new regions to individual files.

Best suggestion! :)

radiorog
12-28-2006, 06:22 PM
Thanks, everybody. Looks like a number of options here, with good ideas for different situations. Thanks to all!

Roger

Dave Labrecque
12-28-2006, 09:03 PM
If you highlight the region from start to end you can move it to a new track along with all of the automation ( just tried it moved a region from trk 1 to 3 @ 0 time with automation ) however the FX will not move with it !!! if you have plugin FX they will need to be reset.

In the future setup each region on it's own track then you can process them all at 1 time WITH FX and Mixer settings/auto.

Later
Buzz

No need to highlight the region. Just drag it down to a new track; all the automation goes with it (so long as it's within the region boudaries). As for plug-ins: clone the channel settings using the alt-right-click context menu -- this will include plug-ins and their settings.

Sean McCoy
12-29-2006, 12:58 AM
Best suggestion! :)
I have one good one a year and I was running out of time!

Ian Alexander
12-31-2006, 01:07 PM
Veit's suggestion is the most logical, and would certainly be the way to go if you had a great number of edited regions. For a small number like you have, you can also do a "buildmix to hot track" onto the next track to create one, new, uniquely named, processed file, then quickly duplicate your region boundary edits using the tab, K, and U or R keys. This can be done in seconds and would negate the need for multiple EDL's. You then export these new regions to individual files.
You can automate the process of duplicating the region boundaries. BuildMix to Hot Track. Using the parameters for the channel gate or the Levelizer gate and Remove Silence, cut out the silences between the files you want. Rename the regions and Export Regions to SoundFiles. Not a big time saver for six regions, but huge for six hundred.

DBenkert
06-28-2007, 06:48 PM
Hi all,

I was just trying to export some regions with processing and saw this thread, but I am not sure the suggestions work for me (in this case).

I have a bunch of .wav files that are named what I want them to be, but not processed. I added them all to track one end to end and then set the compression, eg and stuff that I wanted. They all needed the same processing so that is why I did it on one track.

I wanted to use the Export Regions to Files so it would keep the same file names, but I can't find a way to make it work with processing.

Did I miss something in all the great ideas in this thread that would help with this?

If not, is there a different way to do it?

Thanks for any guidance.

Dave Labrecque
06-28-2007, 07:00 PM
Hi all,

I was just trying to export some regions with processing and saw this thread, but I am not sure the suggestions work for me (in this case).

I have a bunch of .wav files that are named what I want them to be, but not processed. I added them all to track one end to end and then set the compression, eg and stuff that I wanted. They all needed the same processing so that is why I did it on one track.

I wanted to use the Export Regions to Files so it would keep the same file names, but I can't find a way to make it work with processing.

Did I miss something in all the great ideas in this thread that would help with this?

If not, is there a different way to do it?

Thanks for any guidance.

David,

You could use Export Track(s) to Files (with mixer processing) after placing each region on it's own track and then putting all the processing on the output (master). Not ideal (finite number of tracks), but it should work. To add all the regions you want at once to the MT, select them in Regions View, then click on your desired "starting" track and hit your INSERT key.

Hmmm... this won't give you the same names, though. Sorry. :(

studio-c
06-28-2007, 11:27 PM
You can do the Export Track to Soundfile while highlighting each file in turn, with the B/Tab/E keys. I just tried it on 10 files, it took about 2 minutes, filename typing included. You do have to retype the name unfortunately, because the default name seems to be the EDL name. Pretty quick for a small to medium number of files though. Not sure if it would work with reverb trails, I'm thinking no (unless maybe you had space between the soundfiles). But any other effects, yes.

If they're all getting the same processing, I'd be tempted to use the Sound Forge batch processor. You can keep the names, and indicate a folder where the processed files go. It's pretty flexible. Again, SS and SF have their strengths, nothing wrong with having another tool. SF is definitely the Swiss Army knife, very Yin to SS's Yang :) .

Bob L
06-29-2007, 01:38 AM
SS is designed for quite different things than Sound Forge... the export track option is designed to handle many edited regions with processing, including rate conversion and softedges and automation... much different than batch processing a straight wav file with some eq or something similar. :)

I believe SS would give you better output results with the built-in processing algorithms, and my choice would probably be to handle each file separately and adjust them individually, and not be bothered by having to type the file name or track name... but that's just the way I would do it...

If you like automatic everything, the other options might be your better choice for that task.

Bob L

DBenkert
06-29-2007, 06:54 AM
Yeah, this isn't something I do on a regular basis (yet anyway), I was just curious. I actually just went to each region, did an Alt-E to select and then built-mix. For the file name I had made copies of all the files to a "processed" folder and just selected the name I needed and overwrote those files. This way I didn't have to type the names. I am a terrbile typist. No biggie.

Bob, is there a way to add an option to the Export Region process that could include processing w/o any changes to the core or would it bloat things and require major changes? I love the Export Regions feature and use it all the time the way it is. This would be a nice option though if anyone ever had to do it with processing I would think.

Anyway, thanks for all the input and ideas!

Craig Allen
06-29-2007, 07:48 AM
Bob, is there a way to add an option to the Export Region process that could include processing w/o any changes to the core or would it bloat things and require major changes? I love the Export Regions feature and use it all the time the way it is. This would be a nice option though if anyone ever had to do it with processing I would think.
The potential problem I see with this is if a region was used on multiple tracks with different processing, how would you decide which tracks processing to use when exporting the region. Or would you export it 5 times with a number suffix on the file name? If you did this on a large session, you could end up with 100's of like regions exported.

DBenkert
06-29-2007, 07:51 AM
The potential problem I see with this is if a region was used on multiple tracks with different processing, how would you decide which tracks processing to use when exporting the region. Or would you export it 5 times with a number suffix on the file name? If you did this on a large session, you could end up with 100's of like regions exported.

Good call Craig - I didn't think of that because the only way I have used this is by selecting the regions in Select Mode and then choosing the "Associate Selected Regions". I guess that wouldn't matter though if there were other regions with the same name on different tracks.

Naturally Digital
06-29-2007, 09:18 AM
Good call Craig - I didn't think of that because the only way I have used this is by selecting the regions in Select Mode and then choosing the "Associate Selected Regions". I guess that wouldn't matter though if there were other regions with the same name on different tracks.David, did you have a look at JMS's BFG? It was suggested earlier in the thread. I'm just curious if you tried it and if so, what did not work for you... Cheers!

DBenkert
06-29-2007, 09:37 AM
David, did you have a look at JMS's BFG? It was suggested earlier in the thread. I'm just curious if you tried it and if so, what did not work for you... Cheers!

I did briefly, but I couldn't figure how to do what I wanted. So I guess the part that didn't work for me is my ignorance :) Do you know how I would do what I want with BFG?

studio-c
06-29-2007, 11:09 AM
SS is designed for quite different things than Sound Forge... the export track option is designed to handle many edited regions with processing, including rate conversion and softedges and automation... much different than batch processing a straight wav file with some eq or something similar. :)

Bob L

Absolutely, and I'm glad that you focus on what you do, because it's excellent! Like I said, I tried it last night in SS and the name typing took very little time. I use this a lot in my work.

This reminds me that I should probably take a closer look at all of the native SS apps (3rd party, I have all the RML ones), and see how much I can keep my work in SS. I KNOW I'm adding steps in many cases by flipping back and forth, so a little homework is in order :)

Chers, http://www.noisepipe.com/sawstudio/cher.jpg
Scott

Bob L
06-29-2007, 05:00 PM
I have more export options on the todo list for the next update... one would be just like the track export, but it would allow you to process in any manner you want and keep each individual region/edit separate... it would obviously keep the region name and create individual wav files... just like the export region feature... but including all processing setup, including automation within the regions, on the tracks.

Bob L

Naturally Digital
06-29-2007, 05:06 PM
I did briefly, but I couldn't figure how to do what I wanted. So I guess the part that didn't work for me is my ignorance :) Do you know how I would do what I want with BFG?No. I think you're right... I couldn't find a way to force BFG to use the region name as the filename.

DBenkert
06-29-2007, 08:21 PM
I have more export options on the todo list for the next update... one would be just like the track export, but it would allow you to process in any manner you want and keep each individual region/edit separate... it would obviously keep the region name and create individual wav files... just like the export region feature... but including all processing setup, including automation within the regions, on the tracks.

Bob L

Killer, sweet, cool...

Thanks Bob!

mako
06-30-2007, 07:21 AM
Thanks Bob - that will be VERY handy.

cheers

mako

studio-c
06-30-2007, 10:04 AM
Amazing! Thanks!!!