PDA

View Full Version : XP/Vista Open License

Microstudio
01-02-2007, 11:37 AM
Ok lets nip this in the bud once and for all.

You can purchase a Open Business License from many companies Click Here (http://www.microsoft.com/products/info/render.aspx?type=mnp&content=22%2flicensing&View=22) to select a company.

The min license you can buy is for 5 PC's. You will have to have at least one legal copy of XP or Vista... the license is backward compatable with XP.

From this site (http://www.insight.com/site/static/itservices/licensing_business.cfm) I talked with a sales man and the price was 175.56 for each license and you have to buy 5 which = 877.80

The license opens up the OS so you can build & rebuild and the not have to relicense and it is yours for ever... This is what the salesman told me.... call them for yourself if you want.

I hope this helps out... PEACE!

mghtx
01-02-2007, 11:54 AM
Well, now THAT....I did not know. Thanks for the info. Still.....$900? :eek:

Anywho.....thanks again. :)

AudioAstronomer
01-02-2007, 12:02 PM
So that'd be 877 + 1 copy of xp. More around $1000 I beleive?

I think that effectively ruins that idea that sticking with winxp corporate is cheaper than moving to vista. Or that sticking with xp corporate and buying a mic is cheaper than.. a custom gibson? :D

And the idea that the ebay auction (and your copy of corporate) are under license (i.e. legal)

demodoc
01-02-2007, 12:07 PM
After reading the many posts about Windows licensing and re-activation etc. I decided to actually look up Microsoft's poicy on the subject.

While I share the basic sense of outrage about the intrusiveness of it...how Windows looks at your hardware on every boot and needs to get 7 out of 10 "votes" from your system, telling it your systen is essentially the same, etc, I don't think, in reality, it will really affect that many users. You'd have to change a substantial part of your system for Windows to lock you out and cause you to have to re-activate. Changing your soundcard will not be one of the factors, by the way, from what I read. I know my systems have all stayed pretty much the same during their lifetimes, and, luckily, are built so well by my computer consultant in the first place, that they very rarely encounter any problems. Of course it is overly intrusive and it smacks of "Big Brother", but would you expect anything else from Microsoft? But I think I can live with it...after reading it, it seems like they've attempted to be as "fair" as they can.

This will not deter me from using Windows XP or Vista. Though, as I recently posted, I have had a policy of staying one OS behind the cutting edge and letting others be Microsoft's guinea pigs. My current system is Win 2k with no problems at all. The new one I am having built for my second room will be XP pro because of dwindling driver support for 2k. I'll keep my eye on Vista and eventually may replace 2k with it on this machine. I learned long ago, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it", especially where computers are concerned.:D

Microstudio
01-02-2007, 12:19 PM
So that'd be 877 + 1 copy of xp. More around $1000 I beleive?

If you have a Registered Copy of XP you do not have to buy it... so it is only 877.80

This will work on Vista as you go into the future and most of us... I would think have more than one PC in our home. So if upgrading to Vista for 2 or more PC's in the future cost X... it would seem that the 877.80 cost is really not that bad... plus you can upgrade, build and do what ever you want without having to call MS.

It is there for those who want to use it.

Mark Stebbeds
01-02-2007, 12:28 PM
What's the news here? Multiple user business licenses have been readily available from MS since the beginning.

It was your insinuation that one could obtain a single user legal copy for $20 and register for updates that was ludicrous.

So what is your point now? That we spend $1000 for a business license instead of a single user upgrade for $100 or so to avoid re-activation in an effort to maintain an obsolete computer?

AudioAstronomer
01-02-2007, 12:38 PM
If you have a Registered Copy of XP you do not have to buy it... so it is only 877.80

This will work on Vista as you go into the future and most of us... I would think have more than one PC in our home. So if upgrading to Vista for 2 or more PC's in the future cost X... it would seem that the 877.80 cost is really not that bad... plus you can upgrade, build and do what ever you want without having to call MS.

It is there for those who want to use it.

It seemed the previous removed thread (Im working under the assumption that the tone, not the content got it deleted. If it was the latter let me know and i'll drop it) insinuated that getting a corporate license was somehow cheaper and 'better' than simply upgrading.

I just find it particularly odd that history repeats itself so close to the preceeding event. When 2K was released, it was the end of the world... NO one would upgrade to it because it's sooo horrible and nothing will ever work. Same with XP, same with vista now.

And if vista doesn't work, and somehow MS disallowed activating XP (which they made a press release saying that would not occur), you have the choice still of moving to os X or linux.

The constant 'doomsday' scenarios are just kinda old now, it's happened with every OS to date and if somehow it IS 'doomsday'.. there are hundreds of millions of windows users who will also have to switch (if not just the millions of musicians) and something else will present itself.

The idea of spending $1000 just because you're scared of something that has a chance ofmaybe occuring really encourages microsoft to keep up the same tactics.

MikeDee
01-02-2007, 11:40 PM
'Tis one of the perks of working for a company that provides us IT folks with MSDN Universal Subscriptions [Licenses]. :) (I just hope it lasts.... :eek:)

The irony here: I don't have the time to be bothered d/l'ing and playing (or, rather, fighting) with Vista. :rolleyes:

mghtx
01-03-2007, 12:27 AM
The idea of spending $1000 just because you're scared of something that has a chance ofmaybe occuring really encourages microsoft to keep up the same tactics.

And people do it. But NOT this person. :) That's a $1000 that can (and will) go into a Mac. :D

Tim Miskimon
01-03-2007, 09:00 AM
For those of us who make our living on PCs running Windows based software I really don't think buying a Mac is the answer.
After all most of our problems are with the operating system - not the hardware.
THat said - I personally don't have many issues these days with my studio system.
Even if you buy a MAC you still have to run Windows if you want to continue to use the software - so where's the gain?

AudioAstronomer
01-03-2007, 09:07 AM
For those of us who make our living on PCs running Windows based software I really don't think buying a Mac is the answer.
After all most of our problems are with the operating system - not the hardware.
THat said - I personally don't have many issues these days with my studio system.
Even if you buy a MAC you still have to run Windows if you want to continue to use the software - so where's the gain?

The gain is that you're running a unified system of hardware with very stable and well-written drivers (provided by apple).

If someone has a problem, it's very easy to fix because it's possible someone has the same system running the exact same drivers. You also have OS X to do your 'daily tasks' in, making your windows environment 100% daw without having to resort to a second computer... and imo os X is very good at the whole 'daily tasks' thing.

It'd be the same thing if everyone bought the same dells... except apple's systems are nicer (more power, and features) for a better price atm (and probably will continue to be for a while). Their drivers have also been absolutely trouble-free thusfar in windows.

Tim Miskimon
01-03-2007, 09:43 AM
The gain is that you're running a unified system of hardware with very stable and well-written drivers (provided by apple).

If someone has a problem, it's very easy to fix because it's possible someone has the same system running the exact same drivers. You also have OS X to do your 'daily tasks' in, making your windows environment 100% daw without having to resort to a second computer... and imo os X is very good at the whole 'daily tasks' thing.

It'd be the same thing if everyone bought the same dells... except apple's systems are nicer (more power, and features) for a better price atm (and probably will continue to be for a while). Their drivers have also been absolutely trouble-free thusfar in windows.

Understood - but I personally prefer to have seperate computers - wouldn't want my wife & daugther web surfing on the same machine that houses my audio work - that simply would be a nightmare.
My other point is - since my DAW is already working very well what would I gain by buying a MAC at this point in time after all of my personal preferences are considered?
Not meaning to debate - just wondering since eveyone these days are crying "buy a MAC".
I just don't see the gain at this point.

AudioAstronomer
01-03-2007, 09:53 AM
My other point is - since my DAW is already working very well what would I gain by buying a MAC at this point in time after all of my personal preferences are considered?

I see no reason? I only switched because we had a massive house flood, and glass embedded into the solid block walls of our house :eek: If your stuff is working, there's no reason to switch to anything.

Not meaning to debate - just wondering since eveyone these days are crying "buy a MAC".
I just don't see the gain at this point.

The gain is there for people who are at the point where they want to upgrade due to incompatibilities and whatnot, or need to due to obsolescence.

I think it mostly comes from people who have 'common problems' they've learned to live with that can be alleviated by moving to a different hardware and software platform, specifically macpro/book.

If you're happy then there is no reason really...but if you do see the need to consider a new system, the macbook pro and macpro's are among the nicest systems available right now and they come with a mighty fine operating system as a bonus :D (and run windows fantastic).

Tim Miskimon
01-03-2007, 10:01 AM
I see no reason? I only switched because we had a massive house flood, and glass embedded into the solid block walls of our house :eek: If your stuff is working, there's no reason to switch to anything.
If you're happy then there is no reason really...but if you do see the need to consider a new system, the macbook pro and macpro's are among the nicest systems available right now and they come with a mighty fine operating system as a bonus :D (and run windows fantastic).

Man, sorry to hear about that house flood. Hope all is well now.
Since I recently built a new studio system I think I'll be happy for a while.
But when the time comes for the next round of upgrades I certainly will check out all the available options including the MAC - until then hopefully it's happy Sawing...:)

mghtx
01-03-2007, 10:26 AM
There are several reasons I've decided to give the Mac a go.

Intel chips, NO interest in Vista at ALL, no time anymore to experiment with PC's, change can be good, etc.

My current XP PC is solid and has been the best PC I've ever had. It's a wonder I even stayed with MS after my days with 98 and ME!!!!!!!!! It took me a long time before I left 2K, which I really liked.

As long as SAW is on Windows I'll have some kind of Windows system.

(Rob, hope everythings cool over there. Man your life is NEVER dull, huh?)

AudioAstronomer
01-03-2007, 10:32 AM
And Vista works with macs too ;)

The flood was a while ago :) No big deal.. we're always having fun over here. If you're not living, you're dead :D

mghtx
01-03-2007, 10:34 AM
True.

Glad to hear it! :)

Microstudio
01-03-2007, 11:01 AM
Rob could you tell us in detail or post a link on how to setup XP on a MAC and what version Mac OS most you be using?

Ian Alexander
01-03-2007, 11:09 AM
Rob could you tell us in detail or post a link on how to setup XP on a MAC and what version Mac OS most you be using?
http://www.sawstudiouser.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4488

http://www.sawstudiouser.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4212

http://www.sawstudiouser.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4998

Based on search of mac saw.

AudioAstronomer
01-03-2007, 11:14 AM

I use os x 10.4.8

http://www.apple.com/macosx/bootcamp/

That should answer everything for you. Please, PLEASE read carefully. It's very easy to do long as you follow the directions.

mghtx
01-03-2007, 11:20 AM
Thanks for the links everyone. :)

MMP
01-03-2007, 06:02 PM
A couple of tips....

While Apple insists its not possible to use a Windows upgrade CD with BootCamp, it works fine if you have an external USB or Firewire CD or DVD drive. This could save you $100.00 on a license.

Also, I installed a Windows bootcamp partition and another Windows partition on the Mac side for parallels. This triggered a MS authorization call, but simply telling the MS tech that both installs were on one computer got me a second code.

Regards,

MM