PDA

View Full Version : Frustrated: Error message tracking

DennisC
01-05-2007, 12:58 AM
Greetings,
I had a tough night. Two problems. I'll post the second as a separate post.

Tracking drums (10 tracks) SRP with click, ac gtr, and voice already down.

Using two FireFace 800s with MME protocol. Various buffer sizes 256, 512, 1024, still have the following problem:

I would arm the ten tracks for record, push SHIFT+SRP and record. Stop. Rewind. SHIFT+SRP OR REC RDY or REC all yield the following error message:

"Trouble Opening an IN Device! Make certain device is capable of current paramters and not being use by another application.
(make certain selected driver model is current;y installed and available)."

If I CTRL+S, then shutdown application and come back, then the device assignments on each record channel need to be re-assigned, it will record one take, then I get the same error message again and it won't record anymore.

Worked on it with various buffer sizes, one FF800 instead of two, reboot PC, etc.

Finally tried using ASIO protocol and it worked pretty good. I can record but I am still getting flakey "not remembering my input device assignments". Some channels it remembers, others not. And I have a second problem with using ASIO.

Any ideas on the error message?

My second problem I will post separate...

Thanks,
Dennis

Bob L
01-05-2007, 01:01 AM
Sounds like something is going on with the firewire and drivers not resetting properly after the first record and stop.

Did you do the firewire SP2 tweak talked about on the RME site? (assuming you are using XP with SP2).

Bob L

DennisC
01-05-2007, 01:05 AM
Bob,

I am running XP Home SP1.

I did try to install DirectX 9.0 last week when I was having the performance problems (a test program needed it). Do you think that could have done something?

Thanks,
Dennis

MMP
01-05-2007, 04:46 AM
What is the master clock? RME drivers will cause this message when there is a mismatch between the clock rate and the sample rate of the SS session.

Regards,

MM

trock
01-05-2007, 05:28 AM
not sure about the error mssage but i just did the SP 2 FIX on my FF 800 and it made a HUGE difference on my buffer's. if you haven't done this you should do it anyway.

the step by step is here

http://www.rme-audio.com/english/techinfo/fw800sp2.htm

trock
01-05-2007, 05:29 AM
damn, sorry just read you have SP 1

sorry brother

DennisC
01-05-2007, 07:50 AM
MM,

The Master Clock is the FF800.

Dennis

AudioAstronomer
01-05-2007, 08:19 AM
What background applications are running, if any?

Bob L
01-05-2007, 08:42 AM
The master is WHICH FireFace clock... you have two of them... they must be locked together with the same clock source... they both cannot remain as the master.

One will have to chase the other with wordclock or in some other fashion.

Bob L

DennisC
01-05-2007, 08:52 AM
Robert,
No background applications other than the RME applications for Total Mix and the "settings" app whatever it is called.

Bob,
When trying it with both FF800s I do have one as the Master. I also tried it with just one FF with same error.

Dennis

Naturally Digital
01-05-2007, 12:37 PM
Dennis,

Just checking here to be sure...

1. You've saved your preferences as default so the i/o device settings get saved.
2. You are ctrl-clicking on the top-right of the record meters so your record assignments get saved to the default rec template.
3. Your edl and fireface are set to the same samplerate.
4. You have the firefaces connected externally to link their clocks (or have the correct settings in their application to link... I don't have FF experience so I don't know what RME has built-in for using two or more)

DennisC
01-05-2007, 01:18 PM
David,

I didn't know about your #2 suggestion. I will try that.

I will double check the others.

Thanks,
Dennis

DennisC
01-06-2007, 08:36 AM
UPdate:

Well, the saga continued last night. Finally, the problem got bad enough to reveal the culprit: One of the FF800swas (is) dieing. In the midst of all of the trouble shooting, rebooting, etc. "Bad" FF800's front panel lights all lit up and stayed on. This can't be good. So, we eliminated that FF from the setup and all seemed to clear up. Later, after the session, I even verified that I could go back from ASIO (my work around) to MME and not have any of the warning messages etc.

Thanks for all of your input and help,
Dennis