PDA

View Full Version : Capturing Video

Bruce Callaway
01-08-2007, 10:43 PM
Hi all, I am trying to capture video for the first time by simply playing videos from a video player into a tv/video capture card then into SAW. Problem is I do not see any video images on the video viewer. Using the software that came with the tuner, I can capture video (but no sound). I have tried both PAL and NTSC settings with no luck. Any suggestions? By the way, I am using the video input on the card, not the TV input.

Thanks in advance,
Bruce

Naturally Digital
01-09-2007, 02:08 AM
Bruce, is the card doing real-time mpeg-2 encoding on the video input? My guess would be you don't have the necessary directshow filter (codec) to decode whatever format the capture card is delivering to SAW.

Bruce Callaway
01-09-2007, 03:34 AM
Thanks Dave, I have found a menu that allows a range of options so am working my way throught those to see what works.

Bob L
01-09-2007, 08:20 AM
Bruce, SAWStudio is designed to only capture video as a DV file direct from a Firewire input. It also allows video only capture from some usb camera inputs... but there is no provision for audio sync in that mode.

You can use a DV camera as a DV converter in many cases, or you would have to buy a DV converter box to accept anaolg composite or S-Video inputs and change them to firewire.

The firewire DV capture gives you perfect audio video sync and allows for a very clean way to bring video into SS.

Otherwise... capture using the video card software and then open the file into the video viewer after it is captured.

Bob L

antiacid
01-09-2007, 06:05 PM
The only way to capture video and audio in sync for me (using a seperate video and audio capture card) was using the (free downloadable) program Virtualdubsync (1.5.04) and the (free downloadable) codec Huffyuv. Virtualdubsync syncs the video and audio in a smart way and saves the data in a (huge but lossless) avi file. afterwards it can be opened by most video editing software and recompressed to burn a dvd. Don't know if this is what you want, if so pm me, I'll look up the links for you.

Bruce Callaway
01-09-2007, 11:48 PM
Hey Thanks aniacid, I will give that a try. After 24 hours of frustration , SAW is the only program I have that will record the separate record track, the others will only record video.

mako
01-10-2007, 07:57 PM
G'day Bruce - this might be of interest to you as well

http://nickyguides.digital-digest.com/DVD2AVI.htm

cheers

mako

Bruce Callaway
01-11-2007, 02:54 AM
Hi Dennis, I hope all is well at Bell. Thanks for the link. I think I have a driver problem or something similar in my system. Every time I try to capture video, load it into SAW to extract the audio, I get a different result. It worked beautifully once but I have not been able to do it again. Go figure. I have just about given up but will try the instructions on the link.

Thanks again,
Bruce