electric
01-12-2007, 06:14 PM
I’m going to buy EDL Convert Pro so I can import Pro Tools sessions into SAW
Can any one tell me if it really works?
Thanks Ron

bcorkery
01-12-2007, 06:15 PM
Ron,

I don't have it but it gets a lot of good ink here.

Bob L
01-12-2007, 06:52 PM
Many have good succes with it... but note that it only handles PT 5 sessions... which is fine if you have access to the source studio and can ask for the session in that format... or you may be able to get the session as an OMF format.

Beyond that... you can purchase an inexpensive M-Audio soundcard and then use M Pwered Pro Tools (pretty inexpensive also)... this will allow you to access current PT 7 sessions and then export the tracks as wav files using the Consolidate command.

Bob L

Mark Stebbeds
01-12-2007, 07:03 PM
I’m going to buy EDL Convert Pro so I can import Pro Tools sessions into SAW
Can any one tell me if it really works?
Thanks Ron

No, not really. Or I should say it's not that simple.

Pro Tools is currently at version 7.3. EDL Convert will only accept or convert to PT versions 5.0 or earlier. Those versions are about 6 years old, and incredibly crippled.

So you will need to ask whoever is providing you with the PT session, to take the time to convert the existing PT session to a PT 5.0 session for you. They will loose much of the session data, including region groups, markers, sends above "F" (#5), stereo tracks will be converted to mono, certain midi data, inactive tracks will be dropped, tracks/sends assigned to busses above #32 will be lost, yada, yada, yada.

So it's not that simple.

For about the same cost of EDL convert, you may want to consider buying Pro Tools LE with an Mbox2 Mini and install it in Windows (about $300 from a dealer). You will have all the features of PT v7.x with the track limitation of 32 tracks. Then you can open up any PT session, "consolidate" tracks in PT and bring them into SS. Much easier.

http://www.digidesign.com/index.cfm?navid=104&langid=1&itemid=23596

Another consideration would be to use EDL Convert's OMF function, but that would still require the PT guy to have special software and make special conversions.

To get from SS to PT using EDL convert is easier than the other way around.

Hope this helps.

Mark

Sean McCoy
01-12-2007, 07:40 PM
I have EDL Convert, but have been considering the option of adding entry level PT to simplify things. Two question, Mark: First, do even the lowliest versions of PT include the consolidation option? And what happens when PT sessions of greater than 32 tracks are opened in LE?

Sean

Mark Stebbeds
01-12-2007, 08:00 PM
I have EDL Convert, but have been considering the option of adding entry level PT to simplify things. Two question, Mark: First, do even the lowliest versions of PT include the consolidation option? And what happens when PT sessions of greater than 32 tracks are opened in LE?

I have HD, not LE, so I suggest that you check out the D.U.C. and ask your questions there to be sure.

But to the best of my knowledge, PT LE is fully compatible with HD, with the exception that it runs on the host computer's CPU (and not HD cards), and it is limited to 32 tracks (expandable to 48)

There are also differences between LE using the MBox family of hardware, and the "M powered versions", which I am not crystal clear on, so I would check that out as well. Probably has something to do with upgrade path.

So to answer your questions, I would venture to say yes to the consolidating feature....and if you are opening a session of more than 32 tracks, I would say 32 could play back at the same time, and the rest of the audio would be in the "Audio Files" folder, so you could do another pass of consolidating.

Mark

Sean McCoy
01-13-2007, 12:16 AM
Thanks, Mark. I'll stroll over to the DUC and check it out. Chances are these questions have been answered there numerous times.

electric
01-13-2007, 11:26 AM
Thanks for everyones input. Looks like I will be buying PT LE :rolleyes:

Mark Stebbeds
01-13-2007, 02:23 PM
Thanks, Mark. I'll stroll over to the DUC and check it out. Chances are these questions have been answered there numerous times.

Be aware that the MBox2 and the Mini are USB devices, and the other MBox pieces are Firewire and cost a bit more. They have more channels and features however.

Let us know if you figure out the differences in the software features or Digi upgrade path between Mbox and M Powered. I'm curious, but too lazy to investigate.:)

Mark

ffarrell
01-13-2007, 11:32 PM

Sean

Hi

With LE you see all the tracks but only the top 1 -32 tracks will play. One can move the bottom tracks to the upper 1 -32 and play them as well.

One can update/upgrade a LE ver to 48 tracks buy installing a software call DV tools 2 from Digi and that will take you to 48 tracks but it cost 1200.00 so not a good buy.

The way to go is to buy a M audio Groove Lab tranit. That will get you into mpowered Pro Tools cheaply for your converting.

Hope this helps
fvf

PS I owne EDL convert pro but sadly it is stuck at pt5.

Mark Stebbeds
01-14-2007, 10:07 AM
The way to go is to buy a M audio Groove Lab tranit. That will get you into mpowered Pro Tools cheaply for your converting.

Entry level MPowered or LE with MBox options is close in price, with the MPowered options being just a little more $$$. It appears that you buy the PT software and hardware seperately with MPowered. With LE and MBox, you choose a hardware option, and the software is included

I should email tech support or customer service to confirm, but it appears that the MPowered stuff is a licensed situation. If you buy entry level MPowered, will it run with any other hardware besides the MPowered pieces.?

Also, I do not see a hardware exchange upgrade path that exists with the LE and MBox options, FWIW.

Mark

Dave Labrecque
01-14-2007, 02:08 PM

I can't find any current info on the Groove Lab Transit and PT LE. There was a page I found with a rebate deal from early 2006, but I can't find anything current. Anyone?

Mark Stebbeds
01-14-2007, 05:28 PM
I can't find any current info on the Groove Lab Transit and PT LE. There was a page I found with a rebate deal from early 2006, but I can't find anything current. Anyone?

http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/Transit-main.html

You still need to buy PT "M Powered" version separately. It's not LE, although I don't have a clear understanding of the differences in features. As I said in an earlier post, I think it may be a licensing/authorization issue.

At any rate, MSRP for the above would be $400, and I'm sure a bit cheaper on the street. PT LE with an MBox mini can be had for $300 on the street, comes with a better "bundle" and can be upgraded with DV Toolkit (post production feature set)...M Powered cannot, but has more hardware options, FWIW.

http://www.digidesign.com/index.cfm?langid=1&navid=28&itemid=4779&action=news_details

It may be a moot point if you are just considering entry level PT as a conversion tool for SS, but it's smart to know the differences...and compatibility issues.

Mark

Dave Labrecque
01-14-2007, 06:34 PM
http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/Transit-main.html

You still need to buy PT "M Powered" version separately. It's not LE, although I don't have a clear understanding of the differences in features. As I said in an earlier post, I think it may be a licensing/authorization issue.

At any rate, MSRP for the above would be $400, and I'm sure a bit cheaper on the street. PT LE with an MBox mini can be had for $300 on the street, comes with a better "bundle" and can be upgraded with DV Toolkit (post production feature set)...M Powered cannot, but has more hardware options, FWIW.

http://www.digidesign.com/index.cfm?langid=1&navid=28&itemid=4779&action=news_details

It may be a moot point if you are just considering entry level PT as a conversion tool for SS, but it's smart to know the differences...and compatibility issues.

Mark

Thanks, I'll take a look...