PDA

View Full Version : OT: FYI, Steiny screws them yet again

shanabit
01-16-2007, 12:42 PM
http://cubase.net/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=65451&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

With the introduction of C4 they DROPPED DX support without ANY disclosure and now the PROMISED SX3 update gets dropped after waiting 15 MONTHS!!

Stay where your at fellas. Ill be joining you soon. Gotta get that PC going LOL.

AudioAstronomer
01-16-2007, 12:50 PM
If you need help setting anything up let us know :)

Oz Nimbus
01-16-2007, 12:54 PM
Wow, that really bites.

BTW, yeah, don't hesitate to ask if you need any assistance with the switch.

lofi studios
01-16-2007, 01:09 PM
the nail for me was when i upgraded my son from system 4 to sl3, it came with a pretty little dongal thing, in pieces at the bottom of the box, i rang the good people of steinberg and was told that...

'for only £20 i could get a replacement.'

'but sir, it was broken when i got'

'yes, and for only £20 we will replace it.'

'but it was BROKEN WHEN I GOT IT.'

'and for only £20 you can be up and running with a brand new dongal by the end of this week.'

'ah, i see, not really support that sir, do you know where i can buy shares in the H2O organisation, they do such lovely versions of your software.'

:confused:

its no wonder that software piracy is so prevelant with companys acting like that. personally, i'd rather pay to stay here, some of the bells and whistles are missing, not that i knew how to use them, and i am having to relearn everything again, but its a ride thats too enjoyable to miss.

think i might go and mither the guys on clueless forum, at least until i get moderated, free speach as long as your nice with it.

respect and kudos to Bob

'Do more with SAW'

Iain

TotalSonic
01-16-2007, 02:02 PM
Some interesting developments - first UA Audio abandons DX support and now Steinberg does for Cubase SX4 - yet Steinberg continues DX support with other recently updated programs like Wavelab. To me it never makes that much sense to eliminate previous features unless there's good reasoning behind it (i.e. streamlining performance) but seems like the trend is for DX support to slowly discontinue in favor of VST by many developers overall (although I was slightly annoyed to find that the latest Nero 7.5 update requires the latest DX 9.0c version to be installed on your box - not that it made any difference in system stability or performance as far as I can tell - just one more thing to download and install). I'm trying to figure out whether this can possibly be a good thing or not - but one thing I'm really glad for is the Native SAW plugin protocol!!!!

And here's the one thing I discovered browsing on the Steinberg site that just made me think Bob could be in for a heckuva lot of headaches soon:
The VST plugin version 3 is here!
http://knowledgebase.steinberg.net/147+M52087573ab0.html

Hooray - now let's get all those threads going here about why new plugX doesn't work....
all because the SDK has now been "improved"

Best regards,
Steve Berson

trock
01-16-2007, 02:17 PM
i truly hate cubase, but thats a personal thing with me. shanabit knows! i drive him crazy with my cubase rants.

of course cubase works pefect for thousands so i am sure it was always user error

Tim Miskimon
01-16-2007, 02:19 PM
i truly hate cubase, but thats a personal thing with me. shanabit knows! i drive him crazy with my cubase rants.

of course cubase works pefect for thousands so i am sure it was always user error

Yeah it's an error when they decide to use it...:D

lofi studios
01-16-2007, 02:31 PM
and the cymbol went ceerrrr rash

Mr Miskimon wins this years Nobel Peace Prize:D

trock
01-16-2007, 02:35 PM
excellent!!

if i may, my story is long and arduous with cubase, from the SX 2 version on a MAC with dissapearing buttons, to the PAY FOR SX 3 upgrade to fix that, to to to to

ah well you get the drift

Microstudio
01-16-2007, 02:42 PM
Wow...Its said that there are so many people out there that have no clue of SAWStudio & MWS..... 2 programs that do the job and let you make music the way it should be done and the support is easy and the best.

How does Steinberg do it.......they do it because they are so big they can and people just keep buying their products.

TotalSonic
01-16-2007, 02:55 PM
Wow...Its said that there are so many people out there that have no clue of SAWStudio & MWS..... 2 programs that do the job and let you make music the way it should be done and the support is easy and the best.

How does Steinberg do it.......they do it because they are so big they can and people just keep buying their products.

Well on the MIDI side of things Cubase definitely has a good number of features, such as pattern/loop & score views, that I wish were in MWS. For a lot of folks primarily working with MIDI these types of things are important - which is why they stick for the most part with Cubase, Sonar or Logic (i.e. programs that original versions that were MIDI only and whose development has emphasized that end before adding on audio - which is completely opposite of SAW's development which started as audio only).

For the time being I'm sticking myself with Orion Platinum and Winjammer Pro for these specific features I mentioned - but both these programs have distinct disadvantages - just not enough for me to go to any of those other apps I mentioned.

Best regards,
Steve Berson

SoundSuite
01-16-2007, 03:07 PM
wow

I'd like to take this time to say:
THANKS BOB!

trock
01-16-2007, 05:43 PM
put it this way, my friend shanabit is a cubase, PT, and roland VS2480 guru. if he has reached this point with cubase its a BIG deal, believe me we have argued for YEARS now over everything from DAW's to gear. he knows his stuff while i tend to bellow and make threatening gestures.

HapHazzard
01-16-2007, 07:31 PM
Jesssssss!!!
Will I just bought SX3 only 9 months ago. Always scared me to fire up alot of plugs and rewires. Even crashed HARD a few times.

I was shown SSL by a good friend of mine, in 10,2006 and on something I'd only use for word processing. So I downloaded the demo and mubbled around until I got the basics.

Now I'm a SSL user and most of my VST and DX work great. But I still tried to use SX3.1 because I sent so much (along with a few Plug-ins). When I learned C4 was the NEW product (not a new version) I waited to see if they would offer me at least a break on C4.

It never came:confused:. but but but I just got it!!!

Time to get MWS get with the program.:D

Thanks Bob for one H*ll of a great product and support.

Happy Tracking

Hap

AudioAstronomer
01-16-2007, 07:51 PM
This is your chance bob! Update MWS with a few decent looping features and you'll have yourself a brand new aston martin in a few weeks :D

bcorkery
01-16-2007, 07:57 PM
This is your chance bob! Update MWS with a few decent looping features and you'll have yourself a brand new aston martin in a few weeks :D

:D :D :D :D

Oz Nimbus
01-17-2007, 01:09 PM
I'll have to agree with Robert here. Bob, you've got a golden opprotunity. A crossgrade offer & MWS update right about now would probably lead to very many more customers.

-0z-

mghtx
01-17-2007, 03:11 PM
I would venture to say that most of those users posting are/were using cubase on a mac. And most will stay with it. Most likey end up going to Logic.

But a few will branch out and find SAW. And if they're smart :), they'll at least give it a fair try. I look forward to reading their posts.

shanabit
01-17-2007, 06:00 PM
I would venture to say that most of those users posting are/were using cubase on a mac. And most will stay with it. Most likey end up going to Logic.

But a few will branch out and find SAW. And if they're smart :), they'll at least give it a fair try. I look forward to reading their posts.

Actually MOST Cubase users are on PC, not Mac
Mac for Cubase support has been crapy to say the least which is why this adds insult to injury. Ive been on it since SX1.

http://cubase.net/phpbb2/index.php

AudioAstronomer
01-17-2007, 06:12 PM

If they're runnign intel macs then they can move to saw without problem :D

If they're on the ppc platform oh how I pity them. I still hate mac on ppc :D

On a related note Id be curious to have a cubase use talk me though the things they like about cubase for midi. I'd like to be more informed about this stuff, im getting better all the time but im still a moderate midiot.

mghtx
01-18-2007, 02:38 PM
im getting better all the time but im still a moderate midiot.

:D Classic!

studio-c
01-22-2007, 04:33 PM
And here's the one thing I discovered browsing on the Steinberg site that just made me think Bob could be in for a heckuva lot of headaches soon:
The VST plugin version 3 is here!
http://knowledgebase.steinberg.net/147+M52087573ab0.html

Hooray - now let's get all those threads going here about why new plugX doesn't work....
all because the SDK has now been "improved"

Best regards,
Steve Berson

I had to laugh when reading this question on the Steinberg site.

"Can I still use my existing plug-ins and instruments?
Yes. Existing VST 2.4 plug-ins and instruments are fully compatible with Cubase 4. Any plug-in or instrument older than VST 2.4 must be tested and potentially updated."

So really, there's no problem using your plugins (whew!). All you have to do is go into the plugin and rewrite the code. Sounds reasonable enough. I look forward to doing this during a client session. ("Hey, why don't you go get a cuppa coffee, I'm just gonna rewrite this reverb app.")

So cool. Glad to see everything's gonna be just fine... :rolleyes:

Cheers,
Scott