PDA

View Full Version : Help to make a promo reel please?

Studmuffin
01-18-2007, 08:32 AM
Hi everyone, I realise it's probably very bad form to make my first post one that asks for help, but I've been lurking here for some time and you guys seem really generous.

Ok, creeping over! :)

I'm a London based voiceover talent. My agent has suggested that I get a showreel together for tv promo work. I have a pretty good set up here and I can take care of the production ok, but what I could really use is some good copy and production bits (dialogue etc)

I'm wondering if anyone works in the field of tv promo or movie trailer production, who might be kind enough to let me borrow some material for a very small run, limited edition promo reel that will only be heard in the UK?

Ideally, maybe someone has got a "mix-minus" or two that you could share, ie music and fx without voiceover?

Any genre would be good; movies, drama, comedy, sports.

If I can possibly do you a favour in return, then please name it and claim it.

Hope this isn't too cheeky, I've been with Saw in all incarnations since almost the start and I wouldn't dream of using anything else.

Thanks in advance

James

CurtZHP
01-18-2007, 09:27 AM
"In a world...where laughter was king........"

;)

Ian Alexander
01-18-2007, 09:44 AM
The music and sfx here were sold to me for my use. Not sure the license extends to other uses. Even if it did, I have no idea what your copy says, so no idea what BG stuff would be appropriate.

If you're going to make money from the demo, put some money into it. Visit sounddogs.com or similar, get exactly the sounds you need, and you'll be all set.

Mark Stebbeds
01-18-2007, 10:06 AM
I have no idea what your copy says, so no idea what BG stuff would be appropriate.

He's looking for copy too.:)

bcorkery
01-18-2007, 11:08 AM
the elements of a production and the assembly would greatly be determined by the delivery. What I usually do is go back the best stuff in the can and edit that together.

Sound dogs is a good resource. Most of my copy comes with an NDA.

I'll PM some of the copy I've written later today. Sessions about to start.

Ian Alexander
01-18-2007, 02:42 PM
He's looking for copy too.:)
True. Missed that. Just run your VCR for a couple hours and transcribe some of the stuff you hear. Stashu has it right, though. Choose material that you could have done. If you do national or international brands, it'll be obvious that you didn't really do those jobs.

When I was in radio, promos were for our station's programming and events. Commercials or spots were for cars, food, etc. If you really mean movie trailers and promos for tv shows, not commercials, there isn't much you CAN do except copy the real thing. Unless you're really good at making up tv shows and movies.

Either way, don't use phrases like "my work" or "things I've done" in your cover letter. They'll know, and your reputation will be damaged. Just call it a demo or VO samples or similar. Good luck.

Audioman
01-18-2007, 04:00 PM
Hello

I just uploaded four samples from some of the main voice over talents of Mexico, they are really good voices and they have been recording from many brands like Disney Latino, Ford, Coca-Cola, etc.

Visit: http://www.audiomania.com.mx/ftp-files/Temporal/

These samples are in Spanish, but really are a creative form to show their talent.

Greetings

Studmuffin
01-19-2007, 06:12 AM
Thanks for all the comments and posts.

This year is my 25th anniversary in voiceover, so I am aware of the first demo traps. Fell into most of those along the way.:p

I've already got commercial, industrial and character reels, but this reel would be specifically aimed at tv promo work.

Many American shows air over here on cable. Since I'd be re-voicing and perhaps tweaking the copy to make it more British, I was just hoping to save a huge amount of time and hassle writing stuff and sourcing dialogue clips etc. I've got a pretty good library of music and sfx.

If a mix minus is too much too ask for, then any promo/trailer copy would be a huge help.

Thanks again

James

Studmuffin
01-19-2007, 07:11 AM
Hello

I just uploaded four samples from some of the main voice over talents of Mexico, they are really good voices and they have been recording from many brands like Disney Latino, Ford, Coca-Cola, etc.

Visit: http://www.audiomania.com.mx/ftp-files/Temporal/

These samples are in Spanish, but really are a creative form to show their talent.

Greetings

Special thanks for uploading those. :) We don't hear too much Mexican production in the UK. Sounds great - and these guys have great chops.

bcorkery
01-19-2007, 03:37 PM
I just pm'd a linik that may help you.

-Bill