PDA

View Full Version : Importing Sonar proj into SS-Tips?

Bud Johnson
01-20-2007, 03:10 PM
I just got a call from an old client who was working with a producer/engineer in Boston. Apparently the engineer decided to convert from Sonar to PT 80% into the project!
He thinks he lost all the audio data(vox which is of course all the client really cares about).
But client was backing up to a memory stick all along. 8 songs, so we'll see what he really has backed up.
Assuming he really has the data, what kind of .edl does sonar use? Can it be imported, or are we putting together puzzle pieces?
I told him to have the guy render the midi to audio so I don't have to deal with that rats nest.
Anything you can tell me is greatly appreciated.

I have edl convert, but I dont think it works for sonar.
Bud

MMP
01-20-2007, 07:30 PM
Just did 40 tunes from Sonar...it was a pain.

Sonar has OMF export, so create OMFs of each song and then use EDL Convert to change those into Saw format and you should be good to go.

Regards,

MM

Bob L
01-21-2007, 12:45 AM
Or... if the backup can be changed to straight wav files per track, you cen then import them staright in using a Library View in SS.

Bob L

Arco
01-21-2007, 08:11 AM
-do you know someone with Sonar who can help you out?
-is there a demo for Sonar that will actually work for 30-days or so? you could try the export business.

-the last thing this Boston guy should do is make it possible for his client to continue work. maybe he can be pursuaded to do one last bit or work-exporting to WAV or OMF?

AudioAstronomer
01-21-2007, 08:39 PM
Or... if the backup can be changed to straight wav files per track, you cen then import them staright in using a Library View in SS.

Bob L

Does the library import support BWF or timestamped aiif? I've never checked but that would really be awesome if it did... importing a project would be 3 button clicks from any daw.

Bob L
01-21-2007, 11:53 PM
No time stamped anything import... but you can still have an easy time of it anyway... just make your track files all start at the same mark and they all then import to the same start position... pretty easy really.

Bob L

AudioAstronomer
01-21-2007, 11:59 PM
No time stamped anything import... but you can still have an easy time of it anyway... just make your track files all start at the same mark and they all then import to the same start position... pretty easy really.

Bob L

It's easy when you have control over how the files are created.. that is not something I routinely encounter though and seems many people as well.

No need to start the time-stamp discussion though, It would be nice IF though :) I manage to get stuff done without it for now

MMP
01-22-2007, 04:54 AM
If you really get stuck, I own Sonar, EDL Convert, & SAW Studio and could do the transfers for you.

Regards,

MM

Bud Johnson
01-22-2007, 09:44 AM
Arco,
I don't think the client wants to do anything more there than he has to....understandably.

Bob,
Of course you are right, but I was hoping to import from the clients back-up.

Michael,
You remain one of my heroes! But I wouldn't do that to you. The other studio will have to do exports as .wav s or OMFs
I have edl convert also.
Thanks all for the help.
Bud

Mark Stebbeds
01-22-2007, 09:54 AM
.. just make your track files all start at the same mark and they all then import to the same start position... pretty easy really.

Very easy to import. The problem lies with getting someone to deliver them correctly. How something so simple can become so complicated is beyond me, but give someone a chance to screw it up and they will.

I just got a session where half of the files were starting at one point and the other half from another point. Fortunately it was a bars/beats thing so I was able to figure it out, but what a pain.

Mark

Bob L
01-22-2007, 10:44 PM
Well we all know I gave up long ago trying to dumb down SS to make it dummy proof... I think its reasonable to assume some level of competence from people in the business calling themselves recording engineers.

I personally don't feel out of line asking for certain things when I find myself part of a project that started somewhere else, that I am now being asked to take over.

Bob L

Mark Stebbeds
01-23-2007, 11:57 AM
I think its reasonable to assume some level of competence from people in the business calling themselves recording engineers.

I think there should be a recording engineer test required to allow you to use that job description, and penalties for false impersonation.:)

Mark

AudioAstronomer
01-23-2007, 12:53 PM
I think there should be a recording engineer test required to allow you to use that job description, and penalties for false impersonation.:)

Mark

Isn't dealing with musicians everyday test enough?

I guess that's just a test of patience, not competence. :D

Mark Stebbeds
01-23-2007, 12:57 PM

That's a test for baby sitting.:D

Mark

AudioAstronomer
01-23-2007, 01:28 PM
That's a test for baby sitting.:D

Mark

I passed!

What do I win?

Mark Stebbeds
01-23-2007, 01:55 PM
I passed!

What do I win?

The privilege of listening to out of tune guitars for the rest of your days.:D

MikeDee
01-23-2007, 02:03 PM

I guess that's just a test of patience, not competence. :D

Hey, I resemble that remark!!! :mad: :rolleyes:

Glad my keyboards don't go out of tune (not counting my fluffs).

AudioAstronomer
01-23-2007, 03:51 PM
Hey, I resemble that remark!!! :mad: :rolleyes:

Glad my keyboards don't go out of tune (not counting my fluffs).

Reminds me of how with all the fantastic digital technology we have these days, keyboard manufacturers are trying to emulate vco drift and detuning.

Such a backwards world :D

SoundSuite
01-24-2007, 11:10 AM
lol, no doubt Robert