PDA

View Full Version : Buffer Size

Sanford
05-26-2004, 09:40 PM
Bob L.
First I would like to Thank you and Jeanne for making yourselves available.

I'am using two Antex Studio Pro audio cards, antiquated I know more on that later, and the system:

Super X5DAE motherboard
Two 2.4 Xeon CPUs
80 Gig Western Digital HD for running WinXP OS
180 Gig for recording
1 Gig of ECC registered DDR-266/200
Maxtor G550 video card
Two 19" flat screen Samsung SyncMaster 191T monitors

The lowest sitting I can achive is 4/256 any lower my tracks lose sync. Any words of wisdom

In two weeks my sound upgrade will consist of a Lynx AES-16 Studio audio card along with the Apogee AD-16 and DA-16, thats finnally shipping, for convertors. Any thoughts onthe upgrade???

The Best to You and your Crew
Sanford Hayes

Bob L
05-26-2004, 10:29 PM
I must say that 4 x 256 on the old Antex drivers is pretty amazing actually... I would never have expected that.

Asking for less than that... I have to say what I know... the RME cards will do 2 x 64 in MME and 1 x 64 in ASIO on all of my test and production systems.

I have not tested the newer Lynx cards... my older Lynx One card in one of my test rigs does the 4 x 256 in MME and 64 and 128 buffer size in ASIO, but is definitely not comfortable or real stable there.

I normally run my main production rigs with RME at 3 x 256 unless I am doing live VSTi performances in Midi or doing Live Input Mode sessions.

When I am mixing and editing, I usually use the higher settings for maximum stability as I load down the sessions with processing.

Bob L