PDA

View Full Version : Let's see your SAWrooms!

TotalSonic
01-29-2007, 02:05 PM
Figured it would be nice way to start 2007 with some updated "audio centerfold" shots of where we actually do our SAWing -

I'll start =
Finally got around to starting to take some snapshots of my room towards getting a very very overdue updating of my website taken care of soon - and figured I'd share here -

The SAW station is on the left with a CM Motor Mix on the desk (two DAW's both going to a Starview KVM so they can be controlled from the same spot are kept in the closet behind the door on the left).
The monitors are B&W N802's.
Bass traps by GIK Acoustics - great stuff for cheap - http://www.gikacoustics.com

http://www.totalsonicmastering.com/room.jpg

The view from the seat and a closer look at a few of my favorite "plugins"
http://www.totalsonicmastering.com/rackn802s.jpg

The painting of the guitar (including real strings and frets tacked onto the canvas) was by my grandfather, Maurice Berson.

Best regards,
Steve Berson

UpTilDawn
01-29-2007, 02:10 PM
Looks nice Steve.:) Wish I had a room to show, but I'm in transition and stuck mixing and editing in a second bedroom for the time being... Not that the studio will be anywhere's near as nice as yours.;)

DanT

Mark Stebbeds
01-29-2007, 04:16 PM
Cool Medici EQ.

No way I'm showing of picture of my rat's nest.:)

Mark

TotalSonic
01-29-2007, 04:29 PM
Cool Medici EQ.

thanks! it's my pride and joy - the sweetest upper mids I've ever heard out of a box, and to me Rupert Neve's most under rated design. Got really lucky in that Vintage King had a few units 3 years ago they were selling for cheap - otherwise these are pretty hard to find on the market.

No way I'm showing of picture of my rat's nest.:)

Well to be fair - Arco can testify that my desk usually isn't ever this clean - and I did photoshop some ugly looking cable runs out of the right hand corner :D

Best regards,
Steve Berson

lofi studios
01-29-2007, 04:37 PM
i would have to photoshop a pretty ugly room out of the photo, but i will try to get a photo or two for you soon:)

mikebuzz
01-29-2007, 04:53 PM
Weel you started it Steve !!
i HAD TO ADD MY hAGSTROM 8 STRING BASS !!

LAter
Buzz
Oh Tannoy System 800a monitors , I also have a bass trap at 45 degress above the mix position and a diffuser at the back of the room < and a bag of BEEF JERKY on the desk ( freaking wires everywhere tho !) The tracking room window is to the right .

AND 7 count em 7 lava lamps !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TotalSonic
01-29-2007, 05:04 PM
Mike -
that bass is awesome - post some soundfiles of it in action!
&
you've totally outdone everyone I know on the lava lamp count too!

Best regards,
Steve Berson

Mark Stebbeds
01-29-2007, 05:33 PM
Mike -
that bass is awesome - post some soundfiles of it in action!

Oh no, now come bass solo.:eek:

Craig Allen
01-29-2007, 05:47 PM
How do you like the 8 string? I've toyed with the idea of getting (or making) one, but just felt like it's too much of a gimmick.

trock
01-29-2007, 05:51 PM
Here is my little work area

Arco
01-29-2007, 06:59 PM
sweet!

Scott Anthony
01-30-2007, 02:23 PM
I'm under going serious reorganizing, largely the fault of SawStudio. :p

The MacBook Pro sits off to the side on a Yamaha PM1000 next to the multitrack for basics and overdubs (mostly headphones). For mixing and mastering, I've ordered a small rolling desk to move into the sweet spot.

The speaker stands are very, very heavy I beams.

mikebuzz
01-30-2007, 02:34 PM
^The 8 string has some problems !! the truss rod if screwed ! I've gotta take it apart and have my machinist fix it ( the neck wanders like an old whore !! ) BUT it sounds really cool a very woody earthy tone to it

LAter
Buzz

Hey what 8 track is that ????? Scott

Scott Anthony
01-30-2007, 02:47 PM
It's an Ampex MM1000 2" 16tk. Lovely sounding thing. Luckily the old east coast service rep for Ampex back in the day of this deck lives 20 minutes away and has all the part numbers memorized...

HapHazzard
01-30-2007, 02:57 PM
Not pretty
Meant to be on the run!
2nd PC has Guitar Rig 2, Reason and DKFH for overdub work.
Since 4.0 I've been using the Dm24 less and less and less....Unless they want 96k/24bit then the Dm24 comes out.
Not much in the way of out board gear. Tryin' to keep it as light as possible (short of a laptop).

SSL4 in live mode makes it pretty fun now for mobile.
Scares the h*ll out of the bands.

http://home.earthlink.net/%7Ejvanhornrlh/The_House_Plant/pic2.jpg

Hap

DominicPerry
01-30-2007, 04:11 PM
OK, so I'm going for 1st prize in the "Most Untidy and Least Professional Studio" category. I'd like to claim that I'm in the process of reorganisation and tidying, but it just isn't true.:o I would also like to enter the 'Worst Studio Curtains" category.

Dominic

lofi studios
01-30-2007, 04:18 PM
yea you get the curtains!!

i am just rebuilding, but it looked like this previous

http://www.lofi-studios.co.uk

will grab a camera for next time i am down there as most of the outboard is going, who needs it with SAW?:D

Ian Alexander
01-30-2007, 05:07 PM
OK, so I'm going for 1st prize in the "Most Untidy and Least Professional Studio" category. I'd like to claim that I'm in the process of reorganisation and tidying, but it just isn't true.:o I would also like to enter the 'Worst Studio Curtains" category.

Dominic
You may be getting some interesting phase cancellation due to reflections off the table top. Might try putting the speakers on stands, rotating the table 90 degrees, and pushing it forward a couple of feet.
I had my speakers on a shelf on the wall for years. Moved them onto these about six months ago
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/American-Recorder-Technologies-Studio-Monitor-Speaker-Stand-Pair?sku=459520
What a difference. 119 bucks US.
Oh, and your room is WAY neater than mine. Scripts, mail, CDs, books, batteries, receipts, tools, etc., everywhere.

mOjO Fet
01-30-2007, 05:22 PM

Dominic

I like it!

Nice and simple and a champagne bottle. Prost!

Michael

EDIT: Are those 8040's you have?

Mark Stebbeds
01-30-2007, 05:33 PM
I'm under going serious reorganizing,

Cool DBX 162 & 165, almost too dark to see, but I can see 'em a mile away.:)

Mark

mOjO Fet
01-30-2007, 05:33 PM
OK. Here's mine.
I'm in transition right now. I'm looking for a new flat and this is my temporary setup.

mOjO Fet
01-30-2007, 05:36 PM
My new 22" Widescreen TFT which I love.

DominicPerry
01-30-2007, 05:52 PM
I like it!

Nice and simple and a champagne bottle. Prost!

Michael

EDIT: Are those 8040's you have?

Yup, a very nice Vauban Frères, courtesy of a friend's wedding from 10 months ago.

And they are 8040s. I'm not too sure I like them but I'm trying to get used to them. And Ian, I'm sure your advice on stands is right. in fact I need a whole lot of room treatment too - when I run a sinewave sweep I get some fantastic holes and peaks - 60Hz and 160Hz are missing and loads of other nasty peaks higher up too. But as you can probably tell, getting round to fixing things up isn't my first priority.

Dominic

mOjO Fet
01-30-2007, 05:58 PM
when I run a sinewave sweep I get some fantastic holes and peaks - 60Hz and 160Hz are missing and loads of other nasty peaks higher up too. Dominic

How do you measure it?
Do you use an external device? A microphone?

Michael

DominicPerry
01-30-2007, 05:58 PM
almost too dark to see,

Mark

I had another look and I realised that Scott's photos remind me of photos of Bristish World War II intelligence bunkers. Are you working for the CIA?:)

Dominic

DominicPerry
01-30-2007, 06:04 PM
How do you measure it?
Do you use an external device? A microphone?

Michael

Ears ears ears. I know there are changes in the human response to frequency, but a swept tone at a consistent volume should change gradually as the pitch changes. I have a clear graph of the 8040 response from Genelec, and so I just do a slow climb using TestTone Generator. Some of the 'holes' are so big it's as if there's no sound. If I pause on the frequency and wander round the room, I can often hear the tone much louder elsewhere in the room. I'm guessing that the position of the speakers and the room nodes and my listening position are creating 'blank' spots. It means that I know NOT to boost 60 or 160 Hz on the EQ and to listen on my stereo downstairs too. If I ever own my own space or decide to take this stuff more seriously, I'll get some acoustic treatment.

Dominic

Scott Anthony
01-30-2007, 06:04 PM
Before and after??? I'll play...

Reads like a weight loss ad. "After SawStudio, I look and feel great!"

Scott Anthony
01-30-2007, 06:08 PM
I had another look and I realised that Scott's photos remind me of photos of Bristish World War II intelligence bunkers. Are you working for the CIA?:)

Dominic

I'm just a crappy photographer... sorry!

DominicPerry
01-30-2007, 06:12 PM
I'm just a crappy photographer... sorry!

I just think you have an interesting subversive 40's vibe to the whole studio. It's the high window and the racks of stuff on the wall. Sure beats my 70's old-lady curtains feel!

Dominic

Scott Anthony
01-30-2007, 06:26 PM
I just think you have an interesting subversive 40's vibe to the whole studio. It's the high window and the racks of stuff on the wall. Sure beats my 70's old-lady curtains feel!

Dominic

I like your place (and the pic on the laptop:D). Looks like where work gets done. That guitar amp looks cool, like a class A Matchless or Bogner type thang... what is it?

Thanks. It's a very old cemetery caretaker's house, the studio I think used to be a viewing parlor. Here is a pic of the high window up close...

DominicPerry
01-30-2007, 06:41 PM
I like your place (and the pic on the laptop:D). Looks like where work gets done. That guitar amp looks cool, like a class A Matchless or Bogner type thang... what is it?

Thanks. It's a very old cemetery caretaker's house, the studio I think used to be a viewing parlor. Here is a pic of the high window up close...

That's a pretty good window. Thanks for the pic.

The amp is a Mallard. I'm guessing that there are only about 5-10 of them in existence. They are made by Mick Grabham, of Procul Harem fame. It is an 18 watt EL34 thingy with a pair of Celestion G12H (one Vintage 70th and one Heritage). I bought it as a present to myself for giving up my crappy IT job. Unfortunately, I don't make best use of it but I'm priviledged to own it and enjoy playing both my tunes through it.:D It has a 60s Marshall sound (so I'm told). I just played a load of vintage amps at Charlie Chandlers in Hampton Wick, UK and chose it as 'the best', whatever that means. Sure is loud. :) :) :) :) It's a haven of old Fenders, Marshalls, as well as 65Amps, BadCat, TopHat and loads of other boutique stuff.

The Roland KC550 sounds great on acoustic guitar. Seriously underrated in my opinion. I've played Ashdown Radiators, Fender and Marshall acoustic, AER and various other smaller amps and the Roland is great, honestly! I bought it as a keyboard amp but use it for acoustic and bass too.

Dominic

Microstudio
01-30-2007, 08:40 PM
I have no setup right now... well I do have a M-audio interface and my S80 & Guitars... but the studio is no more until I move and build another one... hopefully some time this year. My drums are packed...:( O well I can still record my ideas and even do some small work with this setup.

Here is a pic of my Martin guitar kit I built... it was fun and it came out great.
http://thessvideos.com/images/setup1.jpg

http://thessvideos.com/images/setup2.jpg

http://thessvideos.com/images/setup3.jpg

Perry
01-30-2007, 11:39 PM
Hmmm... I'll post a few photos if someone will tell me the best way to resize and shrink (the file size) to fit.

I have pictures taken with a 5 megapixel camera and they're large... too large.. around a MB each. I tried reducing a few but by the time I got the files small enough the images were tiny!

What dpi are you guys using? I'm lost when it comes to working with photos. Help!

perry

TotalSonic
01-30-2007, 11:55 PM
What dpi are you guys using?

Hey Perry -
"screen resolution" - and what is used for the web - is 72 dpi.

To give you an idea of what size to set your photos to - the first pic I posted is 10" wide x 7.5" high at 72 dpi - or 720 x 540 pixels.
Usually it helps to first resize the picture, and then use a "sharpen" filter afterwards to make up for the lost resolution.

Hope that helps.

Best regards,
Steve Berson

Perry
01-31-2007, 12:43 AM
Hey Perry -
"screen resolution" - and what is used for the web - is 72 dpi.

To give you an idea of what size to set your photos to - the first pic I posted is 10" wide x 7.5" high at 72 dpi - or 720 x 540 pixels.
Usually it helps to first resize the picture, and then use a "sharpen" filter afterwards to make up for the lost resolution.

Hope that helps.

Best regards,
Steve Berson

Thanks for the tip on this Steve.

Hmmmm... I must have done something wrong because I was using 72 dpi.. at least I think so.

But the files ended up really tiny by the time I got the size of the file down.... the diminisions were much smaller than what you're giving here. I'm not sure I understand what to do... or rather why what I did didn't work out?

One that I just checked is 360 X 270 px... at 97 KB, just under the wire for the maximum size permitted I think... but it's smaller than the ones like you've posted... considerably. I must be doing something wrong... I just don't know what???

Any idea what I'm screwing up? :)

And while I'm asking questions.. how do you upload more than one file?

Thanks again Steve!

Perry

And oh yeah.. your photos look great! :)

Perry
01-31-2007, 01:00 AM
OK... the photos are going to be a bit small... but here goes. My SAWStudio playpin. :)

There's equipment info and a couple of other photos here:

http://www.sydec.be/About/POS/Details/?ID=88876c21-f5e6-4d76-887e-73b860c36c10

Scott Anthony
01-31-2007, 05:02 AM
That's a very clean rig, Perry. Nice desk. You weren't photoshopping wires out too, were you?

Cary B. Cornett
01-31-2007, 06:34 AM
If I ever own my own space or decide to take this stuff more seriously, I'll get some acoustic treatment. I started tinkering with acoustical treatments in my "work spaces" long before we finally bought our own house. Some of them were pretty funky...

At our last rented house I decided that any acoustical treatments I did would be movable. I built 8 absorbers using wood frames about 2' x 3' x 6" deep filled with fiberglass insulation and covered in burlap (these are made to hang like picture frames, requiring only a scew in the wall), and also tinkered with a few homebrew bass traps. I have a long way to go yet with bass trapping, but my homebrew panel absorbers have proven much more useful than I expected. Not only do they help with studio acoustics, but I also once used them to help baffle off a drum kit for a live show I ran sound for (the rest of the musicians in the pit liked this a lot).

Commercial treatment options are expensive enough that if you have basic woodworking skills and a few tools making some of your own stuff is quite worthwhile. Another good trick is to fill wall space with bookshelves, especially behind you. Randomly distributing different book sizes on the shelves helps a bit with diffusion (although a properly built diffuser is still better).

Even crude acoustical treatments are an improvement, and it is not hard to work things out so that you can have treatments that can go with you when you move.

DominicPerry
01-31-2007, 07:11 AM
I started tinkering with acoustical treatments in my "work spaces" long before we finally bought our own house. Some of them were pretty funky...

Even crude acoustical treatments are an improvement, and it is not hard to work things out so that you can have treatments that can go with you when you move.

Thanks for the advice, I'll see what I can do, but woodworking is way out of my area. I'm pretty sure I was given some help and links by some of the other guys a while back - I'm afraid I'm just lazy. I'm trying to write songs and play instruments - I never find the time to do all the other stuff.

Dominic

Cary B. Cornett
01-31-2007, 08:38 AM
Thanks for the advice, I'll see what I can do, but woodworking is way out of my area. Don't feel bad... If you had told me a few years ago that I would be building furniture for my studio, I'd have told you that you were nuts! Yet here I am, several projects later, and I promise you that I have no training, nor any special skill, as a "finish carpenter". If you have the coordination to play guitar, odds are fair that the minimal amount of woodworking skill needed is within your abilities. Even the cost of the tools, including a decent used table saw, more than pays for itself when you are fixing up a studio space, even if you are not doing any "construction" in terms of walls and such.

I'm trying to write songs and play instruments - I never find the time to do all the other stuff. And there you run into the other problem that confronts anyone who wants to make good recordings of his own music: Not only do you have to buy more tools/toys, you also must learn more new skills, and the reality is that the needed skill development is at LEAST as much as that required to learn to decently play a musical instrument. The reality is that, one way or another, you WILL pay what it's worth to make a decent recording, either in fees paid to experienced and equipped professionals, or in the "sweat equity" involved in building and learning tools and skills. You might want to try reading this article (http://www.cprec.com/html/the_diy_dilemma.html).

Either way, I hope you have good luck reaching your goals.

DominicPerry
01-31-2007, 09:17 AM
Thanks for the support Cary. I've already learnt a lot more than I ever meant to just by belonging to this forum. And I read your web site from time to time too. Thanks for the link.

Dominic

Ollie
01-31-2007, 10:40 AM
So Perry,
What gear you got going there. Hard to see. Looks cool!

I will try and clean up my little slop-house and take a few photos.

OK... the photos are going to be a bit small... but here goes. My SAWStudio playpin. :)

Westwind
01-31-2007, 11:26 AM

lofi studios
01-31-2007, 12:20 PM
very nice, but wheres the kettle? eh?eh?

no, im not jealose, just thirsty, honest, cross my heart ....

damn you neat and tidy studio types!!!

trock
01-31-2007, 12:56 PM
hmmmm

there seems to be a distinct lack of lava lamps around here

mikebuzz
01-31-2007, 01:08 PM
I got Em ALLL covered TRock !!!

LAter
Buzz

PS: nice setups guys !!!

Bruce Callaway
01-31-2007, 01:38 PM
Here is my setup...

Perry
01-31-2007, 01:55 PM
That's a very clean rig, Perry. Nice desk. You weren't photoshopping wires out too, were you?

Thanks,,,, no, not any photoshoppping out of wires.

There's a bit of a mess though, I have to admit, behind the desk. I designed it that way so that you don't normally see so many wires. Couple more computers and a rack with power amps and power supply for pre amps and so on back there.... there'll be no photos of that! ;)

perry

mOjO Fet
01-31-2007, 02:01 PM

Nice workstation.

Are those selftuning drums? Or should I say drums with different tuners?

Michael

mikebuzz
01-31-2007, 02:07 PM
I see you use the Gefell Um70's also Steve !! great mics IMO

LAter
Buzz

Microstudio
01-31-2007, 02:31 PM
Buzz I have that same PC tower... Lian Li makes some great towers.

Perry
01-31-2007, 03:10 PM
So Perry,
What gear you got going there. Hard to see. Looks cool!

I will try and clean up my little slop-house and take a few photos.

Thanks... sorry again for the tiny photos... gotta figure that out. :rolleyes:

Anyway.. the desk is a modified Argosy desk. It originally housed a d8b digital console. After I sold the console I reconstructed the desk, eventaully, to what you see here.

That's a Tascam US-2400 controller in the center of the cnsole.There's an equipment rack off to the right (out of picture), as well... and that by the way has the lava lamp on top :rolleyes: . Nothing terribly exciting gear wise really... though I like what I have.

There's a list here:

http://www.sydec.be/About/POS/Details/?ID=88876c21-f5e6-4d76-887e-73b860c36c10

Cheers,

Perry

Westwind
01-31-2007, 03:25 PM
Nice workstation.

Are those selftuning drums? Or should I say drums with different tuners?

Not sure what you mean by 'selftuning'. Just the old fashioned drum keys and personal preference.

BillyK
01-31-2007, 04:36 PM
Video Monitor has been changed to Dual Flat Screens and Mackie MCU Controller added.
http://www.thebroadcastcompany.com/Studio/Control09.JPG
http://www.thebroadcastcompany.com/Studio/Control08.JPG
http://www.thebroadcastcompany.com/Studio/Conrtol10.JPG
http://www.thebroadcastcompany.com/Studio/Control06.JPG
http://www.thebroadcastcompany.com/Studio/Control05.JPG
http://www.thebroadcastcompany.com/Studio/Guitars02.JPG
http://www.thebroadcastcompany.com/Studio/StudioB01.JPG

mOjO Fet
01-31-2007, 04:41 PM
Not sure what you mean by 'selftuning'. Just the old fashioned drum keys and personal preference.

By the way your toms are attached with those rings they look similar to Tama's Omni-tune system. Which is actually not self-tuning (must have confused it) but apparently enables one to tune the top and bottom heads from the batter side.

Michael

Ed Snape
01-31-2007, 10:04 PM
Edit Station with Event Project Studio 8s and Event 20/20 Sub, Sony DSR 70, HP ZD7000, USB External Drives and Caddys, Remote Pack with RME and Behringer Pres, RME Digiface, HHB BurnIt rack mounted.

One of a pair of Infinity Reference Standard 2.5s in listening room. These are little brothers of the famous Reference Standard 4.5s.

Best, Ed
Encore Recording, LLC

TotalSonic
01-31-2007, 10:08 PM
One of a pair of Infinity Reference Standard 2.5s in listening room. These are little brothers of the famous Reference Standard 4.5s.

Cool! - these are truly amazing sounding speakers as long as the EMIT and EMIM drivers are still in good shape. I worked with a pair of RS 4.5's when I was at Europadisk.

And to everyone else - nice stuff! Keep it coming...

Best regards,
Steve Berson

DominicPerry
02-01-2007, 06:39 AM
I feel so small.................

Dominic

DominicPerry
02-01-2007, 06:44 AM
Hmmm... I'll post a few photos if someone will tell me the best way to resize and shrink (the file size) to fit.

I have pictures taken with a 5 megapixel camera and they're large... too large.. around a MB each. I tried reducing a few but by the time I got the files small enough the images were tiny!

What dpi are you guys using? I'm lost when it comes to working with photos. Help!

perry

I use Picasa for my photos - made by Google, free to download, smallish, simple program and does resizing for web easily. I strongly recommend it, there's nothing ugly about it at all. I have about 8000 digital photos and I've only ever needed to use Photoshop on two so far - Picasa handles the rest fine.

Dominic

Perry
02-01-2007, 08:03 AM
I use Picasa for my photos - made by Google, free to download, smallish, simple program and does resizing for web easily. I strongly recommend it, there's nothing ugly about it at all. I have about 8000 digital photos and I've only ever needed to use Photoshop on two so far - Picasa handles the rest fine.

Dominic

Thanks for the tip on that... I'll definitely check Picasa out!

Thanks,

Perry

Ed Snape
02-01-2007, 10:36 AM
Steve Berson
Cool! - these are truly amazing sounding speakers as long as the EMIT and EMIM drivers are still in good shape. I worked with a pair of RS 4.5's when I was at Europadisk.

The EMIT and EMIMs still seem ok to my ears. The woofer surround rotted out about 10 years ago, but the guy who replaced it here in Greenville, SC did a good job, and they still sound as good as new. These Watkins Dual-Drive woofers proof out to below 25 Hz in this room and are especially satisfying on organ and bass drums.

When Infinity was introducing the series (circa 1979 or 1980) they brought their road show through town and demoed the 4.5s, I fell in love with them, but way too expensive for my budget. The store manager who sold me the 2.5s back then, told me that she acquired a used pair of 4.5s for her personal use about 8 years ago. Apparently she was impressed with 4.5s also.

Ed

Steve L
02-01-2007, 12:08 PM
Westwind....in one of the pictures I see a GK bass amp next to a
rack with magnetic tape (ADATS?). I would certainly discourage
placing tape that close to a magnetic field from the speakers!
Other than that your studio looks fantastic.

Steve
Mountain View Recording

Jay Q
02-01-2007, 01:45 PM
This is all I'm willing to show.

The last pic, while not directly responsbile for any audio, is at least indirectly responsible for some inspiration. :)

Jay

Rabbit
02-01-2007, 02:03 PM
Cute baby you have there Jay. :)

mghtx
02-01-2007, 02:12 PM
The last pic, while not directly responsbile for any audio, is at least indirectly responsible for some inspiration.

Do you call the "help desk" often? :p

Warren
02-01-2007, 03:11 PM
Hey Jay!

Long fingers on that cutie
Is that your for-hire bass player, or is that the producer :D
Congrats got three of my own and they are a lot of fun, they will suck all the energy out of you, but are a blast!

Warren
The Masters Tracks

Carey Langille
02-01-2007, 03:58 PM
This is what i call home here on the east coast of canada! EH!http://www.accesswave.ca/~careylangille/conrtol%20room%20pan.jpg

mOjO Fet
02-01-2007, 04:06 PM

The last pic, while not directly responsbile for any audio, is at least indirectly responsible for some inspiration. :)

Jay

I like the last one the most. :)

Michael

Microstudio
02-01-2007, 06:01 PM
Just for the heck of it I download a program called Sketchup and laid out what my new studio layout is going to be like. This is a very rough layout but my basement will have a layout like this with 2 rooms, big family room and a bathroom. most likely the second room will be my green room for video. It sucks not have a studio...:( This program (http://www.sketchup.com/) is pretty cool and its free

http://www.thessvideos.com/images/studio.jpg

BillyK
02-01-2007, 06:38 PM
Microstudio... watch out on those "square rooms".

Microstudio
02-01-2007, 09:55 PM
Microstudio... watch out on those "square rooms".

Yes bill I here ya... its a rough idea and all the homes I see have square rooms that you have to start out with and then treat. I just downloaded the program and started messing with it and came up with what you see.... its rough but a start. Here is a pic of the real ISO Booth.

http://www.soundsuckers.com/groupedpictures/8'x8'/consumerreports8x8%20copy.jpg

Jay Q
02-02-2007, 12:44 AM
Long fingers on that cutieWarren, you got that right! Her fingers & toes are almost freakishly long!

Is that your for-hire bass playerFunny, cuz daddy's a bassist and my friends keep telling me I'm gonna be out of a gig. Hopefully, she'll like sports instead. ;)

I like the last one the most.Me too. :)

Jay

Tree Leopard
02-02-2007, 12:53 AM

The last pic, while not directly responsible for any audio, is at least indirectly responsible for some inspiration. :)

JayI hear that your co-producer has a talent for wonderful / in-your-face vocal improvisations.:D Btw, what vintage is your Mustang?

My "studio" is small and mobile (but can expand rapidly with additional stuff on loan / on hire). I can thank my accountant for suggesting that I keep my own set up minimalist and build it up slowly - it's worked well thus far.

When I pick up my new digital SLR I'll post some stuff from the next session in a local theatre featuring at least a couple of unusual recording / monitoring devices.

Andre

Jay Q
02-02-2007, 01:06 AM
I hear that your co-producer has a talent for wonderful / in-your-face vocal improvisations.:DTrue. Some of her vocal "improvisations" are on my shirt right now!

Btw, what vintage is your Mustang?Andre, I must confess I don't know. I inherited it from some guy years ago, and I just don't recall. I'm not at all good at remembering that kinda stuff. Supposedly it has stock parts. I guess that's supposed to be good, but even after having the pickup switches worked on (had a nasty crackle when I barely even touched one of the switches), the thing is still barely usable. It worked for a while after that, but the nasty crackle came back with a vengence. I just keep it as a practice guitar now.

Jay

Tree Leopard
02-02-2007, 01:46 AM
True. Some of her vocal "improvisations" are on my shirt right now!:D

Andre

BillyK
02-02-2007, 04:06 AM
That looks very similar to an IAC booth I had about 15 years ago. Installed treatment all over the place and it was still a nightmare. Put in sonex floor to ceiling on all four walls and it would still "ring".
Parallel walls are always a problem. I am right now working a network radio show in Phoenix that usually originates from Chicago. The room here is square and has been treated heavily. The room in Chicago has a peculiar shape and no parallel walls and has not been treated anywhere nearly as severely. I have recordings from both studio and can instantly tell which is the "square" Phoenix studio.
If I were you, rather than strap yourself into a pre-fab iso booth where you are stuck with this "square"design, I'd spend the money you were planning on using for the pre-fab and put it into construction materials and avoid the parallel walls at all costs.
BK

Yes bill I here ya... its a rough idea and all the homes I see have square rooms that you have to start out with and then treat. I just downloaded the program and started messing with it and came up with what you see.... its rough but a start. Here is a pic of the real ISO Booth.

http://www.soundsuckers.com/groupedpictures/8'x8'/consumerreports8x8%20copy.jpg

Microstudio
02-02-2007, 06:37 AM
That looks very similar to an IAC booth I had about 15 years ago. Installed treatment all over the place and it was still a nightmare.

Really? I have done a lot of research on these units and even heard some recordings using them.. a lot of great results have come out of them.

Mark Stebbeds
02-02-2007, 08:56 AM
Really? I have done a lot of research on these units and even heard some recordings using them.. a lot of great results have come out of them.

I've used them for years and they generally sound like crap and provide minimal isolation. They are usually used as a quick fix for situations where sound quality is not an issue, but reflections are a problem.

Mark

MMP
02-02-2007, 10:43 AM
http://www.mm-pro.com/images/web03.png
Above: Ventilated Computer Closet

Below: Input Rack

Below & Right: The Messy Control Room

http://www.mm-pro.com/images/web02.pnghttp://www.mm-pro.com/images/web01.png

HapHazzard
02-02-2007, 11:20 AM
Michael,
There are local support groups that you can go to, that could really help you. :D LOL

Wow, Go Nuts!

Hap

MMP
02-02-2007, 11:22 AM
Michael,
There are local support groups that you can go to, that could really help you. :D LOL

Wow, Go Nuts!

Hap

Tried that...didn't work!

Regards,

MM

Mark Stebbeds
02-02-2007, 11:38 AM
Tried that...didn't work!

Thanks for the photos Michael. Now I know I'm not alone. Tidiness is overrated.:)

Mark

MMP
02-02-2007, 11:45 AM
It is approaching chaos.

I am afraid I need to do a complete rewire. Stuff comes & goes so often, always with a "temp" install of new wire, and with some wire that can't be removed, and after about three years, its time to pull everything out and reorganize. It takes me about a week.

A free week is hard to find....

So Mark, do we get to see your mess?

Regards,

MM

MMP
02-02-2007, 11:48 AM
Oh, I do keep the computer closet door closed at all times.

Regards,

MM

Mark Stebbeds
02-02-2007, 12:12 PM
So Mark, do we get to see your mess?

If I can figure out how to shrink down a digital picture, I may put some snipits up, but the pictures are too big, and I'm too stupid to figure it out.

I'm afraid if anyone sees my home audio lab, no one will call me anymore.:eek:

Mark

Mark Stebbeds
02-02-2007, 12:16 PM
I am afraid I need to do a complete rewire. Stuff comes & goes so often, always with a "temp" install of new wire, and with some wire that can't be removed, and after about three years, its time to pull everything out and reorganize. It takes me about a week.

Whenever I do a major clean up and rewire, I find several cables that aren't connected to anything anymore.

Mark

DominicPerry
02-02-2007, 12:19 PM
Looks like I'm the only one who's heeded the advice that 'It's not about the Gear'. That explains why my mixes are so crap! Right then, I'm off to buy loads of stuff.:D

Dominic

Mark Stebbeds
02-02-2007, 12:20 PM
Right then, I'm off to buy loads of stuff.:D

Dominic

Don't do it....it's a trick.:D

DominicPerry
02-02-2007, 12:31 PM
Don't do it....it's a trick.:D

I'm never sure when you're joking, but I suspect that I could buy 10 racks of stuff and it would still come out bad - probably worse, as I wouldn't know how to use any of it. I'm pretty sure I can spend a couple of years finding my way around what I have already. And I can always blame the room acoustics.:)

Dominic

Mark Stebbeds
02-02-2007, 12:39 PM
I'm never sure when you're joking,

Either am I.

Mark

Mark Stebbeds
02-02-2007, 12:55 PM
If I can figure out how to shrink down a digital picture, I may put some snipits up,

Well I thought I give it a quick try, and it's way too much effort...getting reflections off of the flash, etc. Can't shrink the photo correctly.... You'll have to take my word for it that Michael's studio isn't necessarily the messiest one here. :)

And I can't find the manual for my camera.:o

Mark

MMP
02-02-2007, 01:39 PM
.... You'll have to take my word for it that Michael's studio isn't necessarily the messiest one here. :)
Mark

Oh great! You are going to leave me here as the messiest studio in the land, with the weak excuse you can't run a camera.:rolleyes:

Lame...damn lame.

Regards,

MM

Mark Stebbeds
02-02-2007, 02:26 PM
Oh great! You are going to leave me here as the messiest studio in the land

Would it kill ya to tidy up a little?:)

Mark

mOjO Fet
02-02-2007, 02:46 PM
That is some nice outboard Mr. McInnis.

A Lavry Gold.

I count five trackballs that look like requisites from star trek.

Is that a G15 keyboard. Are you using the assignable function keys?

And what is that mixer on your main right monitor?

Nice setup...

Michael

p.s. (sorry if I am a little strange today)

mOjO Fet
02-02-2007, 02:50 PM
Well I thought I give it a quick try, and it's way too much effort...getting reflections off of the flash, etc. Can't shrink the photo correctly.... You'll have to take my word for it that Michael's studio isn't necessarily the messiest one here. :)

And I can't find the manual for my camera.:o

Mark

Just put the picture into Windows' Paint. Use stretch/skew and resize down to 20-25%. Should work just fine.

Michael

MMP
02-02-2007, 02:54 PM
There are actually six trackballs, one was hiding.

G15..I just got it. I will add some more macros in addition to the x-keys which is to the left of the keyboard.

The mixer on the right monitor is the SAW F-mixer.

The Lavry gold I bought used for cheap, but just had it upgraded to the latest version after the power supply burned...I love that thing!

Regards,

MM

mOjO Fet
02-02-2007, 03:17 PM
There are actually six trackballs, one was hiding. How mischievous!

G15..I just got it. I will add some more macros in addition to the x-keys which is to the left of the keyboard.
Have you figured out a way to use macros on exe files. Can you do that with X-keys?

The Lavry gold I bought used for cheap, but just had it upgraded to the latest version after the power supply burned...I love that thing! I know this is subjective but what did you use before and how does it compare or how would you compare it to the Benchmark dac-1?

Michael

MMP
02-02-2007, 03:30 PM
Have you figured out a way to use macros on exe files. Can you do that with X-keys?
Michael

I'm not sure what it is you mean...do what exactly?

I know this is subjective but what did you use before and how does it compare or how would you compare it to the Benchmark dac-1?
Michael

The Gold is an A-D converter. The Dac-1 a D-A (I actually use one for my mains...its under the laptops on the right, along with a MOTU Traveller). If you mean the Benchmark A-D, I haven't heard one.

Before the Lavry I was using an RME MultiFace(I still use it for analog outputs to the headphones and phone patch). The difference I notice is that when playing back multiple tracks cut through the Gold, imaging seems to hold together much better.

Regards,

MM

MMP
02-02-2007, 03:34 PM
Would it kill ya to tidy up a little?:)

Mark

I did before the pictures:o

Regards,

MM

mOjO Fet
02-02-2007, 03:48 PM
I'm not sure what it is you mean...do what exactly?
Sorry! Actually you can assign them to exe files (it's been a while).
What I meant is can you assign the macros to anything other then exe files like folder shortcuts or stuff within Sawstudio.

There's a software called autohotkey where you can programm (write code) about anything and assign it to one key. Which you could f. e. use to assign any function in sawstudio to a key. But I haven't really got into learning it yet.

Maybe there are easier way's to do that.

Michael

MMP
02-02-2007, 03:58 PM
I use both the G15 and the x-keys to memorize keyboard commands in SawStudio. For instance, mark region from leading softedge to trailing softedge. Or, one key extends a marked area to the end of the next region each time I hit it. The other thing I use it for is to put commands I use for one type of work next to each other for ergonomics. Like one row in the middle of the x-key is k,r,d,z which are the main editing commands. Things like that.

My ideal way to work is to have one hand always on the trackball for pointing and the other hand doing one key commands to perform complex operations. The only time I move both hands to the keyboard is for naming tracks & files.

Regards,

MM

Oz Nimbus
02-03-2007, 12:31 AM
http://www.spectresound.ca/stuff/Croom.jpg
Control Room. The computer monitor has been replaced by a 24 inch widescreen & the Monitors have been upgraded to Event ASP-8's..... Which meant re-sizing the soffits! Boy, that was fun!

http://www.spectresound.ca/images/news/1147637029/1147637063.jpg
Drum Room

lofi studios
02-03-2007, 01:57 PM
thats just beutiful

Perry
02-03-2007, 02:23 PM
Gorgeous Oz! And a gamer too I see! :D

What are the pedals? I've wanted to get some for the flight sim but not sure which one's are best or where to get them. I never see them in stores any more.. around here anyway.

Perry

Mike Bizanovich
02-05-2007, 04:06 PM
Here's a few looks at my space.

Ian Alexander
02-06-2007, 06:04 AM
Here's a few looks at my space.
Very nice Mike. Looks like a great place to work. Not many have a banjo in the studio. But lots of us have ductwork going through. :) I'm curious about the foam behind the mic. Is the mic not cardioid enough, or do you prefer the sound of the omni setting, or something else? Thanks.

mOjO Fet
02-06-2007, 10:09 AM
Nice and clean Mike!
It must sound good too with all the room treatment.

Michael

Oz Nimbus
02-06-2007, 06:26 PM
Gorgeous Oz! And a gamer too I see! :D

What are the pedals? I've wanted to get some for the flight sim but not sure which one's are best or where to get them. I never see them in stores any more.. around here anyway.

Perry

The Pedals are CH Pro Pedals USB. I'm a total flight sim nut... I flew in Warbirds (WW2 air combat online sim) from 1996-2001 in the Spectre Squadron, hence the name "Spectre Sound." I was so into it at one point I nearly got a Squadron logo tattoo!

I did some digging around: You're in B.C. right? Check out this place:
Threshold Aviation (http://www.thresholdaviation.com/categories.asp?cID=36&c=62257)

studio-c
02-06-2007, 07:17 PM
Better late than never... I was in Vegas when this thread started. I'm home today, leaving for Arizona tomorrow, but managed to snap a few pics. Okay a lot of pics. So here's the whole tour of my workspace:

First the studio, where we mainly do vo's and audio books.
http://www.noisepipe.com/sawstudio/stu01.jpg
http://www.noisepipe.com/sawstudio/stu02.jpg
http://www.noisepipe.com/sawstudio/stu04.jpg

There's also a front office that houses our second workstation and the admin desk.
http://www.noisepipe.com/sawstudio/stu05.jpg

In the window from the front hall looking in to the office, we have a display of some of the types of work we do. We actually get people inquiring about products others have done, and it gets them thinking of types of projects they could create. Good for them. Good for us.
http://www.noisepipe.com/sawstudio/stu06product.jpg

Here's the workstation in the front office. Note the UPS under the desk. Very sexaaaay :) . But it is pretty cool to be able to throw files over the network and work with a sunny view for a while during the day.
http://www.noisepipe.com/sawstudio/stu07suitez.jpg

Here's the admin desk where we do the scheduling and misc artwork and download porn. Kidding.
http://www.noisepipe.com/sawstudio/stu08admin.jpg

Okay, that's 8 pics, I maxed out. Stay tuned for part 2.

Cheers,
Scott

studio-c
02-06-2007, 07:18 PM
Okay, part deux.

The coffee area:
http://www.noisepipe.com/sawstudio/stu09coffee.jpg

The lounge, again displaying samples of the CDs that the music studio has done (they're called Signature Sound Studios).
http://www.noisepipe.com/sawstudio/stu10lounge.jpg

A hallway. Ooooh, ahhhh...
http://www.noisepipe.com/sawstudio/stu11hall.jpg

A pic in the hallway, actually given to me by my ex-wife. Deep significance in the text there. Yes I worked too much and drove the marriage into the ground. Just a word to the wise :) I'm much smarter now and let my wife drag me around on lots of vacations.
http://www.noisepipe.com/sawstudio/stu12pic.jpg

Hope that wasn't too bandwidth consuming or tedious.
Thanks for stoppin'.

Cheers,
Scott

DavidandMary
02-06-2007, 09:44 PM
Boy,

Great to see the rooms and the gear! We are just kids in a candy store, huh? You guys rock! Keep up the good work and make great music!

Brent Bennett
02-07-2007, 12:28 AM
Nice to see all the different layouts.

I was going to wait until I had a clean place before I took any pics, but I decided that would never happen, 'cause it never did. :p

mOjO Fet
02-07-2007, 02:55 AM
That's a nice desk Brent. Are you using it?

Michael

Brent Bennett
02-07-2007, 03:29 AM
That's a nice desk Brent. Are you using it?

Michael

Yea, I still use it a lot. I have it connected channel for channel to SawStudio. That allows people to come in here and mix on the console and bring their own racks if they want to. Its got a 280 point patchbay that's handy also.

I use the console mainly for the preamps and EQ as well as talkback and cue sends. I mix in SawStudio because I love what it does and I can recall everything. I just send the L R out to the console so I can use my Master fader for volume in the control room. (plus it makes the client feel important if they can run the volume fader;) ).

I do my cue mixes and control room mixes on the console too while tracking, just because that's what I'm use to. I love the preamps in it and the high slew rate op amps. Excellent for drums.

...and I just can't get over watching 28 VU meters dance away while a song is being created. Makes me smile everytime I hit SRP, push the comm. button and say.. "rolling". :D

Mike Bizanovich
02-07-2007, 09:32 AM
Ian, thanks. I actually play banjo and I like recording acoustic bands. The backing on the mic was left from a remote video in a very live room. My daughter grabbed the stand and put the mic on and left the foam pad. She thought it looked cool for the picture.

What look like ducts are just boxes built around big I beams. This space is under my 2-1/2 car garage. I adjusted the spacing of the boxes so that the dropped ceiling dimensions would work. In the control room, the box also contains the hvac run. I have a special damper built into the system to get very good sound isolation from the rest of the house's system.

Michael, the rooms sound even better than I hoped for. I've got excellent isolation between the two (spent many dollars to accomplish). In the control room, the sound at the sweetspot is incredible. The imaging is fantastic. Trouble is... I can sit there for hours just listening to CDs and not get any work done.

mOjO Fet
02-07-2007, 10:18 AM
The imaging is fantastic. Trouble is... I can sit there for hours just listening to CDs and not get any work done.
I know what you mean. :D
But listening to records and training your hearing is work too isn't it?:rolleyes:

When I get my new flat I want to treat my room too. Can you recommend me some good material for treatment?
thx

Michael

antiClick
02-27-2007, 10:32 AM
Hi!
I'v just seen this nice old post, and.... man!!.... What a nice places
Mine is still under construction and not as fancy.
Have been working on it for almost two years!!! Hope to have it finished soon.

At the moment it still lacks a pretty amount of lava lamps :D
Please post any acoustical recommendation... I'll need it

Sorry for the mess, and for the giantic photos

This is the full map
http://www.canreco.com/4sawers/img/00-planta.jpg

Ceiling detail:
Left is the Studio room
Right is the Control room
http://www.canreco.com/4sawers/img/alcat.gif

Homemade isolation used (doesn't work fantastic, but I'd say it works enought)
http://www.canreco.com/4sawers/img/06-estudi%20-%20detall%20sol2.JPG

Still untreated, almost square control room
http://www.canreco.com/4sawers/img/PIC01027bis.JPG

Temporally (?) trated studio room.
There's still some low-mid rumble
http://www.canreco.com/4sawers/img/PIC01044_.JPG

The studio room from inside
http://www.canreco.com/4sawers/img/PIC01040_.JPG

This will be a hall.... someday
http://www.canreco.com/4sawers/img/PIC01047.JPG

studio-c
03-07-2007, 11:59 PM
Just a quick post to bring this to the top to be near the "should I build a studio" thread. They seem to go hand in hand...

Scott

lofi studios
03-08-2007, 01:34 AM
good call

video of mine on utube at http://www.myspace.com/islandslostatsea as a video blog from last weekend with a protools guy sitting at the desk running happily on saw!! (i appear bemused right at the end).

must get the camera out!!

studio-c
03-08-2007, 02:03 AM
That was a fun video. I love seeing you guys in action :)

CurtZHP
04-27-2007, 12:35 PM
Well, it took me long enough; but here they are. Pictures of my studio!

Sonic
04-27-2007, 01:40 PM
Nice to see all the different layouts.

I was going to wait until I had a clean place before I took any pics, but I decided that would never happen, 'cause it never did. :p

Brent, is that an Alpaca Rug you have hanging on your wall :)

Eric
04-27-2007, 07:19 PM

Yeah, that's a cool rug. Where'd you get it?

Angie
04-28-2007, 09:58 AM

I'd like to know more about the phonograph to the right of the console. :D Edison Diamond Disc or regular 78 player?

Dave Labrecque
04-29-2007, 09:29 PM
Yeah, that's a cool rug. Where'd you get it?

The figure on the rug is (or looks very much like) a kokopelli -- a native American icon that we see a lot in the Southwest.

Eric
04-30-2007, 08:21 AM
I have some kokopelli figures I picked up in Colorado. I can't remember what he stood for?

MMP
04-30-2007, 09:01 AM
The God of Tourism.

Regards,

MM

Sonic
04-30-2007, 09:09 AM
I wanted an Alpaca rug when in the States, the only place I saw them was in Lake Tahoe, my sister bought one, but I didnt have enough funds at the time to buy one

Then we saw one more shop selling them en route to Death Valley, never seen them for sale since !

They are very very nice and very very soft, but have you seen what an Alpaca actually looks like :eek:

Eric
04-30-2007, 09:27 AM
The God of Tourism.

Regards,

MM

:D

Pedro Itriago
04-30-2007, 11:59 PM
... but have you seen what an Alpaca actually looks like :eek:

http://www.mudpuddlestoys.com/toys/img/toptoys/uglydoll.jpg

Sonic
05-01-2007, 01:37 PM
http://www.mv.com/ipusers/maceachram/alpaca.jpg

Dave Labrecque
05-01-2007, 02:07 PM
http://www.respree.com/scstore/graphics/lgdfz1807d.jpg

bcorkery
05-01-2007, 04:47 PM
Dave,

I dont think Ive ever seen you speechless! :D

Dave Labrecque
05-01-2007, 05:04 PM
Dave,

I dont think Ive ever seen you speechless! :D

Since my recent, public emotional scarring, I think you'll find me much more reserved from here on out... :p

bcorkery
05-02-2007, 04:59 PM
Yea, we'll see. :)

Brent Bennett
05-17-2007, 05:01 AM

Sorry for the long delay in response from me, but I have been gone for a month...

Yes it is an Alpaca rug and I got it in Lake Tahoe, and it wasn't cheap. :eek:

But it was worth it.

Brent Bennett
05-17-2007, 05:07 AM
I'd like to know more about the phonograph to the right of the console. :D Edison Diamond Disc or regular 78 player?

Angie, I'm not at the studio right now, but if I remember it is an Edison. It's kind of ironic that I actually have it now. My long time ex bought it at an auction and refinished it. She used to live next to my great aunt who eventually bought it from her. Then my aunt moved in to an assisted living place and called and said "you are the only person who would appreciate this thing - do you want it?" I had repaired it for her everytime it broke so it's a great thing for me to have.

RobertV
05-22-2007, 10:16 PM
Finally worked out a way to show some of the pictures of our studio which is starting to be operational after just over 3 years of (part time) work

http://picasaweb.google.com/robert.vde/ShinuControlRoom

Cheers Robert V.

Pedro Itriago
05-22-2007, 10:27 PM
Hey, how are those monitors working over your outboard gear? Don't you get any EMI interference?

RobertV
05-23-2007, 12:23 AM
Pedro;
Had no problem at all, in the past only ever had issues with guitar pickups picking up noise from vga monitors.
As we are using long vga cables (over 5mtr.), as the computers are outside the room, there is a small problem with a slight shadow or echo on the monitors used for the sequencer but nothing really bad. I am extremely happy with how quiet it all is, no electical noises at all.

Cheers...Robert V.

Naturally Digital
05-23-2007, 07:01 AM
Finally worked out a way to show some of the pictures of our studio which is starting to be operational after just over 3 years of (part time) work

Cheers Robert V.Looking great Robert! Nice job.

mikebuzz
05-23-2007, 01:11 PM
Alright the NEW control room PIX ~!

Later
Buzz

PS: gotta LOVE John and BEEERRR !!!

AudioAstronomer
05-23-2007, 01:32 PM
Im curious, why would someone spend 10's of thousands on equipment, desks, fancy chairs, rugs :D and various other things and still use small CRT monitors?

For half the price of a decent set of preamps you could have yourself 2 nice flat panel monitors with higher resolution, less interference problems and other benefits :) Is there some specific choice for keeping around the 15-17" crts?

mikebuzz
05-23-2007, 02:06 PM
AHH YA I stole them from work !!! , ( I own the place so it's not really stealing !!) Monitors is one of my next upgrade areas Robert I would like 1 nice big ol mother that would fit in the space allotted , any suggestions ????

Maybe a 27" lcd Tv with VGA input ?? like this http://electronics.pricegrabber.com/plasma-lcd-televisions/m/27772808/skd=1/search=lcd%20tv%20flat%20panel

LAter
Buzz

PS: theres maybe $12k invested in the studio including mic's :D

lofi studios
05-23-2007, 03:11 PM
love the Topaz!!!

i'm about to put mine up for sale as i live in the box mainly, but will prob end up making a summing box for the warming up the mix bit.

note to self - finish studio!!!

Cary B. Cornett
05-23-2007, 05:57 PM
... will prob end up making a summing box for the warming up the mix bit. I believe that external summing is only beneficial if there is something not right about the summing routines used in the DAW. IMO, this is not a problem with SawStudio at all. In fact, around here I think I hear a fair amount of consensus that the summing in SawStudio is superior to various other platforms, and lacks nothing when compared to analog summing... except maybe for the noise and distortion introduced by the analog summing.

Now, about this "warming up" business...
Some digital systems have had a bit of a "harshness" to their sound (IOW, a distortion due to poor programming or inferior A/D/A converters), and by comparison to this any decent analog setup might then seem "warm". The other factor is that some analog stuff imparts a kind of distortion that seems pleasing to the ear, also often described as a "warming" effect. If the summing in a DAW does not contribute harshness (and I would say that the summing in SawStudio is definitely NOT "harsh"), then the "warming" factor attributed to analog summing would be from a "pleasant" distortion in the analog summing amp. This same distortion would be applied to any single input to the summing buss, and indeed you could have the distortion without putting a summing buss before that amp at all.

If you are looking to "warm up" the mix from SawStudio, I would suggest doing the mix internally and then passing the final stereo output through the "warm" amp of your choice, probably something with tubes in it. Remember, an analog summing setup is just a bunch of resistors feeding an otherwise ordinary amplifier, which could be an opamp or even a nice tube mic preamp (in the bad old days a lot of boards used the same amp module for mic preamps and for the mix summing amp).

AudioAstronomer
05-23-2007, 06:00 PM
Or just get a few lava lamps. those warm things up better than any 'summing box' ever could :D

Dave Tosti-Lane
05-23-2007, 08:31 PM
AHH YA I stole them from work !!! , ( I own the place so it's not really stealing !!) Monitors is one of my next upgrade areas Robert I would like 1 nice big ol mother that would fit in the space allotted , any suggestions ????

I just recently picked up a Samsung 226BW, it's a 22" widescreen, 2ms response time - very nice. Two of those would be killer, and they're quite reasonable - I got mine for something like $239 at newegg. The other nice thing about it is the bezel is a "piano black" finish - nice clean look. I had been using a dual monitor setup with 19" CRTs, but so far the one 22 widescreen has worked well. I'll probably get a second one of these days when it's "my turn" again.

Dave Tosti-Lane

Tree Leopard
05-23-2007, 10:36 PM

Cheers Robert V.That's looking great Robert.:) I'm sure this will be a useful facility - in particular for musicians in the western suburbs. Wishing you the best.

Andre

lofi studios
05-23-2007, 11:42 PM
If you are looking to "warm up" the mix from SawStudio, I would suggest doing the mix internally and then passing the final stereo output through the "warm" amp of your choice, probably something with tubes in it. Remember, an analog summing setup is just a bunch of resistors feeding an otherwise ordinary amplifier, which could be an opamp or even a nice tube mic preamp (in the bad old days a lot of boards used the same amp module for mic preamps and for the mix summing amp).

thats the one!! all my mixing is in the box, this would just be a final act maybe.

they say you cant polish a turd, maybe this would help to take the smell away:D

i used to use the desk when i used cubase, it just sounded better, now im on saw lite its the oposite, but there are times that outboard scores over native, and thats all the amp would be for, a sonic choice.

Iain

Perry
05-24-2007, 09:43 PM
I just recently picked up a Samsung 226BW, it's a 22" widescreen, 2ms response time - very nice. Two of those would be killer, and they're quite reasonable - I got mine for something like $239 at newegg. The other nice thing about it is the bezel is a "piano black" finish - nice clean look. I had been using a dual monitor setup with 19" CRTs, but so far the one 22 widescreen has worked well. I'll probably get a second one of these days when it's "my turn" again.

Dave Tosti-Lane

I just put together a system for a guy in this area based around 2 Acer 22 inch LCD's... and boy.. that's a LOT of screen area! Incredible how cheap these have gotten now. But, two of those side by side takes up a lot of desk space as well! Another consideration is that it takes a fairly serious (more expensive) video card to run both of those at their native resolution. For this system I had to run them both analog... not that this was a problem.

Perry

MMP
05-25-2007, 04:42 AM
I just put together a system for a guy in this area based around 2 Acer 22 inch LCD's... and boy.. that's a LOT of screen area! Incredible how cheap these have gotten now. But, two of those side by side takes up a lot of desk space as well! Another consideration is that it takes a fairly serious (more expensive) video card to run both of those at their native resolution. For this system I had to run them both analog... not that this was a problem.

Perry

I am now running four 22" monitors, including two Acers & two Gateways. I have a 2 over 2 configuration, and it has sped things up enormously for me. Typically one monitor is filled with the video viewer, one with the MT and one Z mixer channel, one with libraries, regions, SF view and Wide mixer or full mixers, and the the other with all the plugin windows. Often when working, I will have a second application on one of the monitors, like Soundminer (a sound FX database program), EDL convert or a Melodyne window. I especially like using melodyne in the monitor above the MT. If you get the MT zoom correct, it is very easy to see the correspondence of events between the two views.

The F key permutations are endless.

Regards,

The spoiled brat MM

Naturally Digital
05-25-2007, 01:53 PM
I am now running four 22" monitors, including two Acers & two Gateways. I have a 2 over 2 configuration, and it has sped things up enormously for me. Typically one monitor is filled with the video viewer, one with the MT and one Z mixer channel, one with libraries, regions, SF view and Wide mixer or full mixers, and the the other with all the plugin windows. Often when working, I will have a second application on one of the monitors, like Soundminer (a sound FX database program), EDL convert or a Melodyne window. I especially like using melodyne in the monitor above the MT. If you get the MT zoom correct, it is very easy to see the correspondence of events between the two views.

Regards,

The spoiled brat MMWhere's the envy smilie???

Thanks for letting us know it's workin!

Perry
05-26-2007, 10:10 AM

Regards,

The spoiled brat MM

:eek: :eek: Whoo Hoo! :cool: I'd love to see that setup!

Out of curiosity... what are you driving all those monitors with.. in terms of video cards?

I've been considering a 3rd monitor.. maybe... to go with my 23" widescreen and 19" widescreen; probably another 19" widescreen because it fits in my desk well... but not sure how I'd set that up with video cards. Probably I'd add another PCI-E graphics card. The Matrox cards, as far as I can tell without trying it, won't run my 23" at it's native resolution and still run 2 other monitors at high resolutions.

So.. how are you doing this Michael? :)

Perry

MMP
05-26-2007, 03:36 PM
Two nvidia 8800GT cards in my Vista machine.

I'll try and post a picture sometime soon.

Regards,

MM

Pedro Itriago
05-26-2007, 03:42 PM
You had to say the "V" word

Perry
05-27-2007, 01:35 PM
Two nvidia 8800GT cards in my Vista machine.

I'll try and post a picture sometime soon.

Regards,

MM

That's a lot of Graphics Pixel Pushing Muscle!

And a gamers dream no doubt. So you're all set with Direct X 10 even with the Vista machine.... wow. :)

Thanks for the info... good to know the dual cards are working well... I might eventually try that sort of thing. The 2 X video cards that is, and in my case, three monitors... maybe Vista on a separate OS drive for now once enough DX 10 games come out.. unless I grow up before then of course.. :D :rolleyes:

And yes... love to see the photo!

Perry

Microstudio
02-15-2012, 09:32 PM
Wow this thread has the most views of all time on the SawStudio forum and it was started 1/29/07 and the last post was 5/27/07.

Well have your rooms changed in almost 5 years?

Carl G.
02-19-2012, 04:08 PM
Wow this thread has the most views of all time on the SawStudio forum and it was started 1/29/07 and the last post was 5/27/07.

Well have your rooms changed in almost 5 years?

5 years?? I had to laugh when I thought of the vintage side of my studio (including QRK turntables with SME tonearms, hidden inside countertops).

And the Digital Side which is multitudes better (and much more space saving)!

ivanoff
02-20-2012, 12:35 AM
And the Digital Side which is multitudes better (and much more space saving)!

But your clock is "analogique", no ??? :)

Dave Labrecque
02-20-2012, 08:31 AM
Carl, looks like you could use a couple more reel-to-reel decks, no? ;)

Carl G.
02-20-2012, 10:17 AM
But your clock is "analogique", no ??? :)

:) The wooden desk is not digital either.

Carl G.
02-20-2012, 10:34 AM
Carl, looks like you could use a couple more reel-to-reel decks, no? ;)

I wish I still had my Ampex PR10, Scully 2 track, and Otari 8 track I had at one point in time.
..you just got weed out sometimes.
(edit)

paul kostabi
02-20-2012, 04:50 PM
Will add better photo

Microstudio
02-20-2012, 05:42 PM

Love that chair!

Richard Rupert
02-20-2012, 07:51 PM
I wish I still had my Ampex PR10, Scully 2 track, and Otari 8 track I had at one point in time.
Actually - I had fun with this studio I built to do side stuff with after work at KYA... (until they said I had to stop competing with my employer).
My Home Project Studio & KYA SF Production Studio: (1975)
Hey Carl, I've got a Studer B67 I don't use anymore, if you're really Jonesin for a 1/4" half track. :)

Bruce Callaway
02-20-2012, 08:57 PM
FYI

Carl G.
02-21-2012, 01:38 AM
Hey Carl, I've got a Studer B67 I don't use anymore, if you're really Jonesin for a 1/4" half track. :)
Great machine, thanks. (edit) How many 'joneses'? :) )
(I'm covered with most all formats and speeds)
What I really need is a convection oven (or dehydrator) for transfers... then the time to do it all.

Richard Rupert
02-21-2012, 12:07 PM
Great machine, thanks. (edit) How many 'joneses'? :) )
(I'm covered with most all formats and speeds)
What I really need is a convection oven (or dehydrator) for transfers... then the time to do it all.
Yes, that's the BIG one: time to do it all. :D

Dave Labrecque
02-21-2012, 12:33 PM
(edit)

Nice. :)

Where are you wire and wax cylinder machines? ;)

Carl G.
02-22-2012, 04:35 AM
Nice. :)

Where are you wire and wax cylinder machines? ;)
I do have tape transfers I made from some wax cylinder machines!
(but I'm afraid that baking those tapes will melt the wax transfer) :)

Dave Labrecque
02-22-2012, 08:46 AM

It might be time for the microwave . ;)

bcorkery
02-22-2012, 10:21 AM
Here are a few shots my daughter took a few years back, linked to a weekly feature I do. With some minor adjustments, it hasn't changed too much.
http://www.bcproductions.com/files/TWISH/0217-TWISH.mov

BTW. TWISH used to reside on Sprint's Sports Lounge and got 700,000 impressions a month. I'm looking for a new home at the moment. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Dave Labrecque
02-22-2012, 11:23 AM
Here are a few shots my daughter took a few years back, linked to a weekly feature I do. With some minor adjustments, it hasn't changed too much.
http://www.bcproductions.com/files/TWISH/0217-TWISH.mov

BTW. TWISH used to reside on Sprint's Sports Lounge and got 700,000 impressions a month. I'm looking for a new home at the moment. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Nice, Bill. However, I notice a surplus of U-87's. Can I help you with that? ;)

West End
02-22-2012, 12:46 PM
This is a shot I took for my website. Remember when we used to record on those things that are in the back of my control room ........ I believe they were called tape machines. Now I do almost everything in SAW.

bcorkery
02-22-2012, 03:03 PM
Nice, Bill. However, I notice a surplus of U-87's. Can I help you with that? ;)Want to rent a matched pair? But that's another thread!

Dave Labrecque
02-22-2012, 05:31 PM
Want to rent a matched pair? But that's another thread!

Hey, Bill -- when you mentioned your matched pair of U87's, you caught my curiosity. When I bought my sequential serial numbered TLM103's a few years back, the guy who sold them to me at Sound Pure told me that's as close as Neumann comes to a 'matched pair', but that there's no matching, per se, that's done at the factory. How are yours matched, do you know?

Soundguy
02-22-2012, 07:57 PM
Hey, Bill -- when you mentioned your matched pair of U87's, you caught my curiosity. When I bought my sequential serial numbered TLM103's a few years back, the guy who sold them to me at Sound Pure told me that's as close as Neumann comes to a 'matched pair', but that there's no matching, per se, that's done at the factory. How are yours matched, do you know?

You are correct sir. Not exactly sure about the TL103, but all Neumann U87 mics must meet a certain tolerance when they come off the assembly line, and Neumann considers any two mics to be close enough to be a "matched stereo pair". But if you wish sequential serial numbers, you need to request that when ordering.

Soundguy

Dave Labrecque
02-22-2012, 08:00 PM
You are correct sir. Not exactly sure about the TL103, but all Neumann U87 mics must meet a certain tolerance when they come off the assembly line, and Neumann considers any two mics to be close enough to be a "matched stereo pair". But if you wish sequential serial numbers, you need to request that when ordering.

Soundguy

Well, I would hope that Neumann has the same exacting standards for all it's mic lines. :)

Carl G.
02-22-2012, 08:20 PM
Nice combination!

Soundguy
02-22-2012, 08:39 PM
Well, I would hope that Neumann has the same exacting standards for all it's mic lines. :)

My point is that there is not a higher tolerance to be met to be considered a "stereo pair" in their kits. They just stick any two mics in the kit. I was surprised that they didn't go the extra step for sequential serial numbers.

Soundguy

Dave Labrecque
02-22-2012, 09:29 PM
My point is that there is not a higher tolerance to be met to be considered a "stereo pair" in their kits. They just stick any two mics in the kit. I was surprised that they didn't go the extra step for sequential serial numbers.

Soundguy

Yeah, I got that. I was just reacting to your phrase, "Not exactly sure about the TLM103..." :)

Soundguy
02-22-2012, 09:34 PM
Yeah, I got that. I was just reacting to your phrase, "Not exactly sure about the TLM103..." :)

Oh yeah. I'm sure they have a tolerance window. I was wondering if the tolerance on less expensive models is wider.

Soundguy

Dave Labrecque
02-23-2012, 12:26 PM
Oh yeah. I'm sure they have a tolerance window. I was wondering if the tolerance on less expensive models is wider.

Soundguy

Gotcha. Well... I hope not. I guess I'll never know. :o

To be honest, as often as I use them as a stereo pair, and to the extent that a critical match is important to me in those scenarios, I'm not too concerned. :)

bcorkery
02-26-2012, 04:27 PM
Hey, Bill -- when you mentioned your matched pair of U87's, you caught my curiosity. When I bought my sequential serial numbered TLM103's a few years back, the guy who sold them to me at Sound Pure told me that's as close as Neumann comes to a 'matched pair', but that there's no matching, per se, that's done at the factory. How are yours matched, do you know?All I know is they're sequential and their serial numbers are sequential. I don't know if they have to do anything special at the factory.

Dave Labrecque
02-26-2012, 04:52 PM
All I know is they're sequential and their serial numbers are sequential. I don't know if they have to do anything special at the factory.

I see. I guess I don't really know what 'matched' means, generally speaking, with microphones. Maybe that's all it means?

Soundguy
02-26-2012, 05:08 PM
I see. I guess I don't really know what 'matched' means, generally speaking, with microphones. Maybe that's all it means?

That's all it means to Neumann, who considers any two mics close enough that come out of the same production run within their tolerances. This is what I was told by a Neumann factory rep.

Other manufacturers may use different or additional criteria.

Soundguy

Dave Labrecque
02-26-2012, 05:25 PM
That's all it means to Neumann, who considers any two mics close enough that come out of the same production run within their tolerances. This is what I was told by a Neumann factory rep.

Other manufacturers may use different or additional criteria.

Soundguy

I guess I'll start calling my TLM103's a matched pair, then. :)

bcorkery
02-26-2012, 06:16 PM
I guess I'll start calling my TLM103's a matched pair, then. :)Sounds more impressive, right? :p

WARDAK
03-05-2012, 09:36 AM
Steve,
This brings back good memories of my first mastering secession at your place what a great experience that was. We are currently working on a new project; will be sending it your way soon! See you next time I am in Brooklyn!
V/r,
Kevin.

thanks! it's my pride and joy - the sweetest upper mids I've ever heard out of a box, and to me Rupert Neve's most under rated design. Got really lucky in that Vintage King had a few units 3 years ago they were selling for cheap - otherwise these are pretty hard to find on the market.

Well to be fair - Arco can testify that my desk usually isn't ever this clean - and I did photoshop some ugly looking cable runs out of the right hand corner :D

Best regards,
Steve Berson

Carl G.
03-06-2012, 07:03 PM

I wonder if Steve has mastered 'real wax' before? :)
http://blog.mixonline.com/mixblog/category/robair_report/