PDA

View Full Version : spdif selector switch

Cary B. Cornett
01-31-2007, 08:45 AM
I have decided that I want to follow the practice of mastering engineers and use a single D/A converter for monitoring all 2-channel digital sources in my studio. For now, I will use my old Midiman Flying Cow for this purpose, but I need to add a source selector in front of it. I need to do this "on the cheap", and although I have a pretty good technical background I am not ashamed to lean on the experience of others in things I haven't experimented with yet.

I have considered these possibilities:
A) use a cheap old audio source/monitor switch (Radio Shack) that I have
B) get a cheap video source selector
C) build my own box with a selector switch and some RCA jacks.

Has anyone here messed with this who could advise me on this?

thanks

MMP
01-31-2007, 08:54 AM
I used to use a passive 75 ohm video switch without issues, though any of your choices would probably work. The cable lengths and impedance would likely be more important than the switch itself.

Regards,

MM

demodoc
01-31-2007, 10:26 AM
I used to use a standard 1/4" patch bay to send different SP/DIF signals to the digital input of my interface. Of course the patch cable was a high quality digital/video cable. This worked fine till the patch nay jacks started to get funky, then digital drop outs and pops happened. The same could happen with a switch if it started to get funky...so I guess the moral is, use a really good switch.:)