PDA

View Full Version : MWS Patch Library Questions

Allen
02-01-2007, 07:41 AM
Hello All,

I bought SSB and MWS a little over a year ago and due to unforseen circumstances could not afford the time until now to dive into it. Really looking forward to the ride. :)

I'm trying to create a patch library for my Roland XV5050 Synth. I've started by using an existing ini file that does work and calls the User bank as well as the PA, PB, PC banks.
I cannot access the remaining PD, PE, PF, PH banks

MSB-LSB
10240 1-128 Section works for the User bank and is actually MSB-87 and LSB-00 in the manual

10368 1-128 Section works for the PA bank and is actually MSB-87 LSB-64 in the manual.

10369 1-128 Section works for PB bank as well. MSB-87 LSB-65 in the manual

10370 1-128 Section works for PC bank too. MSB-87 LSB-66 in the manual

I thought maybe just going to the next number of 10371 would bring me to bank PD but I'm afraid not.:eek:
I guess my question is how does the 10370 which does work relate to the MSB and LSB?

Any help would be great
Thank you
Allen King

Bob L
02-01-2007, 08:43 AM
In general... Roland synths have always made no logical sense, in my opinion, in the way they handle banks... and there is generally no consistency between their different models.

The details for how MWS sends the bank number for the different formats is listed in the comments at the top of the ini files that come with it... these can be folund in the Midi WorkShop Configuration folder in the SS Native_Plugins folder.

Look at one of the Roland ini files as a starting guide.

You should also check the link for the midi patch converter in the third party plugin links on my website and go tru a few of the Roland files there for some more hints.

It is a mess... but once figured out, you never have to think about it again and using all your patches becomes a simple double-click from then on.

Bob L

Allen
02-01-2007, 09:33 AM
Thanks Bob,

That's how I got it working this far is by using an existing Roland INI file like you have suggested and it does access the first 4 banks. The XV5050 has ten banks in total.

In the ini file the bank number 10240 must be related somehow to the actual MSB and LSB that is stated in the Roland manual to call the first bank.

10240 Calls the user bank area
10368 Moves to the next bank. Preset A
10369 moves to the next bank as well. Preset B
10370 Ditto Preset C

The mystery is the next bank number to access Preset D-E-F-G-H

This particular synth is not listed at the third party ini file place, unfortunately.

I'll keep working on it, and thanks again for the help.

And, I totally agree with your Roland comment:)

Regards
Allen

Microstudio
02-01-2007, 09:55 AM
Allen have you email roland and asked if they have defintion files for this unit... maybe for cakewalk or steinberg... if so you can then use the conversion utility to convert it so a SAW .ini file.

shanabit
02-01-2007, 10:07 AM
http://www.rolandus.com/uploads/CMS/Downloads/313/Selecting_SRX_Sounds_0105.pdf

Theses are the correct numbers

http://backstage.rolandus.com/patch_script_builder/index.php

If the link doesnt work then youd have to create a user account at Roland US first so you can donwload the script. Hope this helps
Your numbers dont seem right as BOB stated

Allen
02-01-2007, 10:08 AM
Hello Microstudio,

That's a good idea, I will mail Roland.

I do have a cubase parse file of the synth that worked with Cubase but I never thought to try the convertion utility on it. Thought it was only for cakewalk ins files.
Will give that a try as well.

Thank You

Regards
Allen

Bob L
02-01-2007, 10:13 AM
In the MSB-LSB format, the MWS would take the bank number and divide by 128 for the MSB value and then the remainder would be the LSB value... so something does not mesh with your numbers as stated.

10240 should be MSB = 80 and LSB = 0.

Are you sure you have those numbers correct and are definitely accessing the proper bank.

MSB = 87 and LSB = 0 seems like it would be a bank number of 11136.

Bob L

Allen
02-01-2007, 10:55 AM
Wow, isn't that interesting :eek:

10240 does call the user bank area - The only thing is I will have to change patch names in the ini file to coincide with my user bank area instead of the ones that came with the original ini file. No Problem.

10368 Calls Preset A bank
10369 Calls Preset B bank
10370 Calls Preset C bank

Not sure why these work but they do.

So the bank number of 10240 divided by 128 does work out to MSB 80 and LSB 00 but the Roland manual states MSB 87 LSB 00 gets you to the user bank area.

Just tried bank 10240 and program 1 in cubase and it works there too

Will try the bank numbers supplied by Shanabit as well - Thanks

Thanks for all the help people :)

Regards
Allen

Bob L
02-01-2007, 11:35 AM
If you can change to those banks from another sequencer... you can use the MidiOx program to watch the midi data as it gets sent and pickup the numbers for those banks that the program is sending.

Bob L

Allen
02-01-2007, 01:44 PM
Thanks Bob,

I'll give that a try.

Regards
Allen

P.S.

Shanabit - the second link worked great and I'm off to the races

Thank you All