PDA

View Full Version : OT: Simple 1 or 2-channel laptop interface

Dave Labrecque
02-06-2007, 10:09 AM
I'm too lazy to research this on my own. Can you guys (and gal) recommend some of the current good-value products? PCMCIA, USB and firewire all welcome. I need to plug a mic in. Phantom power would be nice.

If PT LE came with it, that might be nice too.

Thanks.

DominicPerry
02-06-2007, 10:16 AM
I can recommend AGAINST the Tascam US144, which is one of only a few USB2.0, bus-powered interfaces. On paper, it looks pretty good. As usual, poor drivers make the thing nearly useless. I haven't tried the M-Audio stuff which Bob recommends (FW410, FW1814) but the RME Fireface400 is ok, just not as good(stable) as the Cardbus stuff.

Dominic

Mark Stebbeds
02-06-2007, 11:42 AM
I'm too lazy to research this on my own. Can you guys (and gal) recommend some of the current good-value products? PCMCIA, USB and firewire all welcome. I need to plug a mic in. Phantom power would be nice.

If PT LE came with it, that might be nice too.

I'm too lazy to do your research for you. :)

If Pro Tools LE is what you want, then go to the Digi site and look at the hardware options. There are a few small format choices. I recommend staying away from the M-powered PT options because they are not upgradeable to post production sound for picture features, and the hardware and software are sold separately.

I also recommend not buying from the website, but finding a dealer to save about 20%.

The grey area is whether or not a machine with both PT LE and SawStudio on board will allow SS to access the hardware, which may be OK with the M-powered line....not sure about that either.

Not sure which system Michael McInnis has, but maybe he can jump in here.

Mark

MMP
02-06-2007, 01:30 PM
I have the 002 rack. I use lightpipe to get signals from the 002 into my RME Digiface. Probably not what Dave needs to do.

One of the M-Audio boxes would work well with SAW, or you could try the new Mbox mini, which has a mono mic pre and comes with LE for $300.00. This is a nice system for V.O. talent looking to get going for cheap.

Regards,

MM

Mark Stebbeds
02-06-2007, 02:08 PM
I have the 002 rack. I use lightpipe to get signals from the 002 into my RME Digiface. Probably not what Dave needs to do.

But can you access the 002 hardware from SS, or is it only the RME via the 002 lightpipe connection?

One of the M-Audio boxes would work well with SAW, or you could try the new Mbox mini, which has a mono mic pre and comes with LE for $300.00. This is a nice system for V.O. talent looking to get going for cheap.

See above question regarding accessing Digi hardware (Mbox) from SS....M-Audio is multi DAW platform.

Mark

P.S. M-Audio hardware options will probably work fine with SS, but as a PT option, the software is not upgradeable in the same fashion LE is.

Veit Kenner
02-06-2007, 02:38 PM
(and gal) recommend some of the current good-value products? PCMCIA
Dave,

http://www.echoaudio.com/Products/CardBus/IndigoIO/index.php

Cardbus, stereo in, stereo out, reliable (ASIO) drivers, tiny, works smoothly with SAW.

Veit

Dave Labrecque
02-06-2007, 03:07 PM
Thanks, Gents. A quick note... gotta run, but I'll be back...

My first use for this will be for VO work on the road. I've already got the Digiface/CardBus combo, but that means pulling my Digiface box out of the studio and using my ADA8000, too. That was meant for location recording for clients, not for simple VOs, obviously. A bit too much to throw in a suitcase.

I definitely want to be able to plug a mic into it. Veit, on first peek, it looks like the Indigo is line-in only. Is that right?

DominicPerry
02-06-2007, 03:41 PM

My first use for this will be for VO work on the road. I've already got the Digiface/CardBus combo, but that means pulling my Digiface box out of the studio and using my ADA8000, too. That was meant for location recording for clients, not for simple VOs, obviously. A bit too much to throw in a suitcase.

I definitely want to be able to plug a mic into it. Veit, on first peek, it looks like the Indigo is line-in only. Is that right?

I had one - Yup, line only. Pretty good for the $$s though. Sorry to jump in Veit.

Dominic

KurtS
02-06-2007, 03:43 PM
Hi Dave,

I use a EMU 1616 PCMCIA and it works fine in Saw with the WDM drivers. However, using the WDM drivers only allows stereo I/O. ASIO works but distorts the play back sometimes in Saw.

What I like about the 1616 is I can use the PCMCIA card with or without the dock when mixing. The PCMCIA card has it's own headphone jack.

If I was going to buy again I would probably get the M-Audio 1814 Firewire per Bob's recommendation.

-Kurt

MMP
02-06-2007, 03:43 PM
But can you access the 002 hardware from SS, or is it only the RME via the 002 lightpipe connection?

I believe there is an ASIO driver, but I have never installed it. If I get some time tomorrow, I'll play around with it.

Regards,

MM

Mark Stebbeds
02-06-2007, 04:29 PM

I have my Digiface, ADI-8, Midi Time Piece, and a pair of mic pres in four space rack with covers and a handle. Too big for a suitcase, but portable enough to move in and out of my studio and toss in the back of my car.

Mark

Dave Labrecque
02-06-2007, 06:00 PM
Hi Dave,

I use a EMU 1616 PCMCIA and it works fine in Saw with the WDM drivers. However, using the WDM drivers only allows stereo I/O. ASIO works but distorts the play back sometimes in Saw.

What I like about the 1616 is I can use the PCMCIA card with or without the dock when mixing. The PCMCIA card has it's own headphone jack.

If I was going to buy again I would probably get the M-Audio 1814 Firewire per Bob's recommendation.

-Kurt

Thanks, Kurt. What's "the dock"?

Dave Labrecque
02-06-2007, 06:01 PM
I have my Digiface, ADI-8, Midi Time Piece, and a pair of mic pres in four space rack with covers and a handle. Too big for a suitcase, but portable enough to move in and out of my studio and toss in the back of my car.

Mark

OK. Meet me on Martha's Vineyard in early June? I'll only need it for a week. Thanks. :p

Dave Labrecque
02-06-2007, 06:34 PM
I believe there is an ASIO driver, but I have never installed it. If I get some time tomorrow, I'll play around with it.

Regards,

MM

Michael,

I'm liking the mini. Two mic inputs would be nice, but I don't really need that right now, so...

Mark, where can I find info about the upgrade paths that you allude to? I want to be sure I understand that stuff before I buy into the wrong path.

Anyone know how to check into whether the Mbox 2 stuff will play nice with SAW?

Bob L
02-06-2007, 08:27 PM
The M-Audio Firewire 410 is a sweet little inexpensive box that has not failed me yet in about a dozen installations.

And yes Mark... I can access the hardware from SS or M-Powered ProTools on the same machine... not at the same time.

Bob L

KurtS
02-07-2007, 09:35 AM
Hi Dave,

The "dock" is the external I/O box.

This is the description of the Microdock from the EMU website:
Two E-MU XTCâ„¢ Ultra-low Noise Mic/Line/Hi-Z Preamps with Soft Limiter and 48V Phantom Power (-129dBu EIN)
Four 1/4" Balanced Inputs
Six 1/4" Balanced Outputs
Turntable Input (w/ground lug and hardware RIAA preamp)
24-bit/192kHz ADAT In/Out (switchable to S/PDIF)
24-bit/192kHz coaxial S/PDIF Out (switchable to AES/EBU)
Two sets of MIDI In/Out
stereo 1/8" Speaker Outputs (configurable from stereo to 5.1)
Two Stereo Headphone/Line Outputs (one on card, one on MicroDock M)

It also has 28 E-DSP hardware-accelerated plug-in effects. I haven't used these very much yet.

Hope this helps.

-Kurt

Mark Stebbeds
02-07-2007, 10:25 AM
OK. Meet me on Martha's Vineyard in early June? I'll only need it for a week.

You always need it. You promised to be more discreet.:o

Mark Stebbeds
02-07-2007, 10:26 AM
The M-Audio Firewire 410 is a sweet little inexpensive box that has not failed me yet in about a dozen installations.

And yes Mark... I can access the hardware from SS or M-Powered ProTools on the same machine... not at the same time.

Bob L

Yes, I know the M-Audio stuff is multi platform. I was wondering about the Digi M box line, which is sold as a bundle with PT.

Mark

Mark Stebbeds
02-07-2007, 10:36 AM
Michael,

I'm liking the mini. Two mic inputs would be nice, but I don't really need that right now, so...

Mark, where can I find info about the upgrade paths that you allude to? I want to be sure I understand that stuff before I buy into the wrong path.

Anyone know how to check into whether the Mbox 2 stuff will play nice with SAW?

I think the main differences between the M-Powered and LE 002 or Mbox versions of Pro Tools is only LE has the ability to upgrade to something called the DV toolkit. And I think it's a licensing thing with M-Powered being left out of the loop. You should really go to the DUC and ask your questions. It's quite a good forum, and Digi techs hang out.

LE is bundled with hardware of your choice. M-Powered hardware and M-Powered PT software are sold separately.

http://www.digidesign.com/index.cfm?langid=1&navid=28&itemid=4779&action=news_details

http://www.digidesign.com/index.cfm?langid=1&navid=71&mkt=ALL&itemid=4898

Hey Michael, if you're lurking, does your version of LE support SMPTE, or does that require the DV Toolkit upgrade?

Mark

Veit Kenner
02-07-2007, 12:32 PM
Veit, on first peek, it looks like the Indigo is line-in only. Is that right?
Right.

Dominic,

no problem there. The quickest answer is our goal :-)

Veit

DBenkert
02-07-2007, 01:11 PM
I have an original M-Box that came with PT LE and it works fine with SAW. I do get some staticy recordings sometimes, but with the new V4 features and monitoring, I know right when I push record whether or not it is there so I just re-engage recording.

MikeDee
02-07-2007, 02:45 PM

Awright, a new episode! Who needs cable? :p

MMP
02-07-2007, 05:36 PM
I
Hey Michael, if you're lurking, does your version of LE support SMPTE, or does that require the DV Toolkit upgrade?

Mark

I have the DV Toolkit 2.0 upgrade installed, but I believe there was no SMPTE, or OMF/AAF export without it. OMF may have been added at the 7.3 LE update...but, I'm not 100% sure.

Regards,

MM

Mark Stebbeds
02-07-2007, 06:35 PM
I have the DV Toolkit 2.0 upgrade installed, but I believe there was no SMPTE, or OMF/AAF export without it. OMF may have been added at the 7.3 LE update...but, I'm not 100% sure.

Regards,

MM

I guess I'll post a question over at the D.U.C. I get asked this a lot.

Mark

Mark Stebbeds
02-07-2007, 06:54 PM

I just checked over at the DUC and found several posts. It looks like you get hh:mm:ss, but not frames. I would assume the seconds would be :ss.xxx, but not sure.

I read another post that says if you use a TDM template for LE, there is a "bug" that carries over some frame nudging features, and there are some inexpensive third party plug ins to simulate accurate SMPTE. But for Digi SMPTE support, you need DV Toolkit, but you get video support, OMF and a bunch of other stuff as well.

mark

Dave Labrecque
02-07-2007, 09:35 PM
Hi Dave,

The "dock" is the external I/O box.

This is the description of the Microdock from the EMU website:
Two E-MU XTCâ„¢ Ultra-low Noise Mic/Line/Hi-Z Preamps with Soft Limiter and 48V Phantom Power (-129dBu EIN)
Four 1/4" Balanced Inputs
Six 1/4" Balanced Outputs
Turntable Input (w/ground lug and hardware RIAA preamp)
24-bit/192kHz ADAT In/Out (switchable to S/PDIF)
24-bit/192kHz coaxial S/PDIF Out (switchable to AES/EBU)
Two sets of MIDI In/Out
stereo 1/8" Speaker Outputs (configurable from stereo to 5.1)
Two Stereo Headphone/Line Outputs (one on card, one on MicroDock M)

It also has 28 E-DSP hardware-accelerated plug-in effects. I haven't used these very much yet.

Hope this helps.

-Kurt

Thanks, Kurt. I mostly need it for the turntable input. :p Just kidding. Sounds like a lot of features. Thanks for the info. :)

Dave Labrecque
02-07-2007, 09:35 PM
Yes, I know the M-Audio stuff is multi platform. I was wondering about the Digi M box line, which is sold as a bundle with PT.

Mark

That's what I'm hoping to find out... :)

Dave Labrecque
02-07-2007, 09:39 PM

Oops. Did I post that out loud?

Mark Stebbeds
02-08-2007, 02:28 PM
That's what I'm hoping to find out... :)

After sniffing around the DUC a bit, it appears that it will work.

The bigger issue is whether or not your Windows laptop/OS/service pack is supported by Digi for LE and MBox. You have to keep in mind that even though it's not "supported", it may work just fine. Digi does not "support" anything, unless they qualify it in their shop for performance. That's why only brand name desktops are listed as supported even though custom made machines may be superior, and are used by most.

Mark

Dave Labrecque
02-08-2007, 10:22 PM

The bigger issue is whether or not your Windows laptop/OS/service pack is supported by Digi for LE and MBox. You have to keep in mind that even though it's not "supported", it may work just fine. Digi does not "support" anything, unless they qualify it in their shop for performance. That's why only brand name desktops are listed as supported even though custom made machines may be superior, and are used by most.

Mark

Are you saying that Digi doesn't support any OS's per se, but only specific system brands and models' hardware/OS configurations in each case?

Get it? "...in each case"? Gawd, I crack myself up.

Mark Stebbeds
02-09-2007, 09:29 AM
Are you saying that Digi doesn't support any OS's per se, but only specific system brands and models' hardware/OS configurations in each case?

Get it? "...in each case"? Gawd, I crack myself up.

I'm saying they don't "certify" every laptop on the planet because they can't test them all. Not too long ago, they had a very short list of "off the shelf" desktops as well, even though PT worked on most custom systems. Now they give broader guidelines for desktops.

I'm just saying do your research to be sure your laptop doesn't have similar characteristics to ones that are known to have some sort of problem. And then the list of "bad" laptops just means you may not get maximum track count after buying the upgrade to 48 tracks. I have no idea what kind of laptop you have. If I ever need another laptop for remote work, I'll be buying a Mac Book so I'll have the best of both worlds with bootcamp.

And remember, it takes software developers a while to catch up to new hardware releases before they endorse them. And no, they don't certify Vista (yet), and they don't test new software releases on W2K.

http://www.digidesign.com/index.cfm?navid=54&langid=1&

Mark

Dave Labrecque
02-09-2007, 11:52 AM
Thanks for the link. I found this, which may be of some concern, since my laptop only has a single hard drive currently:

Recording to the system startup drive is not recommended or supported

Although limited recording and playback of audio tracks may be possible using the startup drive, one or more separate dedicated 7200 rpm audio hard drive(s) is required for maximum performance and track count

Mark Stebbeds
02-09-2007, 12:10 PM
Thanks for the link. I found this, which may be of some concern, since my laptop only has a single hard drive currently:

Recording to the system startup drive is not recommended or supported

Although limited recording and playback of audio tracks may be possible using the startup drive, one or more separate dedicated 7200 rpm audio hard drive(s) is required for maximum performance and track count

I think that may be a generic warning about having a separate audio drive, just as it is recommended in SS. "Maximum perfomance" means just that....48 tracks with plug-ins going on. "Limited recording and playback may be possible"... Does that mean 47, 30, or 15 tracks? How many tracks does SS get off of a slow internal laptop system drive? Probably not as many as a separate 7200 rpm drive.

Although I haven't done it lately, I've recorded to my 4500 rpm laptop system drive on numerous occasions without incident, but usually just a few tracks at a time while playing back about 16 tracks. I don't see how that would be any different in PT, although I may be wrong.

Dave, you have a lot of questions....why not post a few on the DUC? Like any forum, you'll get replies from the inexperienced, but after a couple of attempts you'll get good advice from folks actually doing it. I started a thread yesterday regarding using Mbox with other DAW software, and there is good chatter. There is another rather large thread called "Best Laptop for LE" that you may find interesting. Both of these threads are in the LE for Windows section.

All of the folks I know around here with LE use Mac laptops or I would ask for you.

Mark

Dave Labrecque
02-09-2007, 01:46 PM
I suspected something like that (the one vs. two drive question).

Good idea about checking out the forum. I've been pressed for time this week and so just going to the place I know best for quick, lazy research. How do I find the DUC, and what does that stand for, anyway?

Thanks.

Mark Stebbeds
02-09-2007, 02:11 PM
I suspected something like that (the one vs. two drive question).

Good idea about checking out the forum. I've been pressed for time this week and so just going to the place I know best for quick, lazy research. How do I find the DUC, and what does that stand for, anyway?

Digidesign User Conference. Just go to www.digidesign.com and click your way to the support forum. Scroll down to the section for LE on Windows.

Mark

Dave Labrecque
03-02-2007, 10:32 PM

Mark

FYI... I got a reply that any ASIO-compatible host app should be able to work with the Mbox stuff. I think if I can get a vendor to agree to let me try it on my Asus laptop (and take it back if it doesn't work), I'll be going that route.

Gary Ray
03-03-2007, 09:28 AM
Dave,

You are already somewhat familiar with by USBpre by Sound Devices. I haven't got it to work with the SS but it is bullet proof with Sound Forge. 2 channels, nice mic pre's, very portable (small), single powered USB connection, etc.

If you have any interest in this, I will bring it to town and you can try it.

Gary

studio-c
03-03-2007, 09:40 PM

I carry an IndigoIO in my laptop case as an emergency backup. And I have a couple of Behringer and Mackie mixers, the smallest ones (5x5x1 inch) with a couple mic pres that I use in a pinch. Under a hundred bucks. They're small, light, and practically disposable. That way I can leave my rig set up in the hotel ballroom and moonlight on other production work in the hotel room. Gives you an extra hour of sleep not having to re-wire everything the next morning :)

OT, but having a good FTP site is great too. Clients and/or the studio staff send elements to me, and I knock it out and post the mixed versions for broadcast the next day.

I can't wait for the Behringer/Mackie flames... :rolleyes:

Cheers,
Scott

Mark Stebbeds
03-04-2007, 11:34 AM
FYI... I got a reply that any ASIO-compatible host app should be able to work with the Mbox stuff. I think if I can get a vendor to agree to let me try it on my Asus laptop (and take it back if it doesn't work), I'll be going that route.

Yeah, I've heard the same on the DUC. I've also heard that the way PT streams off of the hard drive may make the need for a separate audio hard drive more important than I thought, although this is not confirmed...but something to think about.

It certainly would be a no brainer to try using the system drive, and if you get a major performance hit, then pick up a FW external. I guess the performance depends on your needs.

Mark

Bill Park
03-04-2007, 12:55 PM

My first use for this will be for VO work on the road. I've already got the Digiface/CardBus combo, but that means pulling my Digiface box...

What about a Digiface II? Mic pres and all in one box.

I don't know about anyone else, but for the simple uses that I put it to, the Tascam US 122 worked perfectly for me. Felt cheap, but for $125....

You might also look at the MAudio Transit, a credit card sized USB box that could use a little Behringer mixer as a front end.

Bill

studio-c
03-05-2007, 12:22 AM
You might also look at the MAudio Transit, a credit card sized USB box that could use a little Behringer mixer as a front end.

Bill

I've had bad luck with the Tascam for some reason, and I'd tend to trust the PC-card buss more than USB, though I do have a little portable USB mixer also. It's a Phonic with 4 mic pres. I think they actually build the USB mixers for Alesis. So that'd be an all in one box solution.

The Indigo IO uses stereo mini plugs which makes me nervous if they're being treated roughly, but I've never had a problem, just taking a dual Quarter inch plug into the stereo mini, and my phones out of the other stereo mini jack on the Indigo.

Lots of good inexpensive gear to accomplish what you're trying to do.

Couple hundred bucks should do it.

Cheers,
Scott

Dave Labrecque
03-05-2007, 10:17 PM
Dave,

You are already somewhat familiar with by USBpre by Sound Devices. I haven't got it to work with the SS but it is bullet proof with Sound Forge. 2 channels, nice mic pre's, very portable (small), single powered USB connection, etc.

If you have any interest in this, I will bring it to town and you can try it.

Gary

Hey, thanks for the offer, Gary. I presume it will cost way too much for my current budget. That's a nice unit! If you can sell me yours for $300 and include a copy of Pro Tools LE, let's talk... ;)

Dave Labrecque
03-05-2007, 10:20 PM
Yeah, I've heard the same on the DUC. I've also heard that the way PT streams off of the hard drive may make the need for a separate audio hard drive more important than I thought, although this is not confirmed...but something to think about.

It certainly would be a no brainer to try using the system drive, and if you get a major performance hit, then pick up a FW external. I guess the performance depends on your needs.

Mark

Thanks for the heads up on that. I expect to only need it for simple sessions, but I think there's room for a second hard drive in my Asus, so there'd be some nice potential for another lustful purchase there. :rolleyes:

Dave Labrecque
03-05-2007, 10:22 PM
I've had bad luck with the Tascam for some reason, and I'd tend to trust the PC-card buss more than USB, though I do have a little portable USB mixer also. It's a Phonic with 4 mic pres. I think they actually build the USB mixers for Alesis. So that'd be an all in one box solution.

The Indigo IO uses stereo mini plugs which makes me nervous if they're being treated roughly, but I've never had a problem, just taking a dual Quarter inch plug into the stereo mini, and my phones out of the other stereo mini jack on the Indigo.

Lots of good inexpensive gear to accomplish what you're trying to do.

Couple hundred bucks should do it.

Cheers,
Scott

Bill, Scott...

Thanks for the options, gents. :)

Gary Ray
03-06-2007, 08:02 AM
Hey, thanks for the offer, Gary. I presume it will cost way too much for my current budget. That's a nice unit! If you can sell me yours for $300 and include a copy of Pro Tools LE, let's talk... ;)Yesterday 12:22 AM

YIKES !!!!!..... You mean there's a budget????:D

Dave Labrecque
03-06-2007, 10:36 AM
Yesterday 12:22 AM

YIKES !!!!!..... You mean there's a budget????:D

Sad, but true. ;)

IraSeigel
06-11-2007, 02:11 PM
I just tried the Tascam 144. Too bad it doesn't come with a power supply. I plugged it into a powered USB 7-port hub, and it kept blowing ports by drawing too much power. I got someone from Operational Support on the phone, who told me that the 144 draws a LOT of power, so you need a powered hub, but the guy wouldn't tell me which ones they've approved. so it's getting returned today.

I use a Fireface 800 for most of my recording, but to do some quick stuff and carry minimal weight, I'm going to look into the LinkFW from Tapco: http://www.tapcoworld.com/products/linkfw/index.html. They also make a LinkUSB version.

I'll give you my review when I get the unit.

Regards,
Ira Seigel

Craig Allen
06-11-2007, 03:06 PM
There's also the RME Fireface 400 which is smaller.

IraSeigel
06-11-2007, 06:50 PM
There's also the RME Fireface 400 which is smaller.

Yes, I'm expecting to win the lottery any day now, and the FF400 will be on the top of my list.

Ira

Dave Labrecque
06-11-2007, 06:59 PM
I'm on an island off Cape Cod as we speak, doing my daily weathercasts for RFN (www.radioforecastnetwork.net (http://www.radioforecastnetwork.net/)) each day using my Mbox2 Mini and my laptop. Nice unit, FYI. :)

studio-c
06-11-2007, 10:31 PM
Martha's Vinyard?
I'll be in New England next week.
My folks are in M V right now. Tell 'em I said hi ;)

Dave Labrecque
06-12-2007, 07:37 PM
Martha's Vinyard?
I'll be in New England next week.
My folks are in M V right now. Tell 'em I said hi ;)

They stopped by to chat while we were painting the front porch today. Actually, I was up on the roof doing the trim and accidentally dripped a bit of periwinkle in her lemonade while she was talking to my dad on the ground, below. My dad's quite a gabber, and so I never found a good time to let her know. Please extend my apologies.

studio-c
06-15-2007, 08:35 PM
LOL...

Okay, I was stalking you on radioforecast.net.
Your wife's name is Rebecca Labrecque?
Did she marry you for the name? That's such a great name! :)

Leaving for Boston tomorrow morning. Bill's got San Diego all to himself this week... woo hoo!

Cheers,
Scott

Dave Labrecque
06-19-2007, 01:41 PM
LOL...

Okay, I was stalking you on radioforecast.net.
Your wife's name is Rebecca Labrecque?
Did she marry you for the name? That's such a great name! :)

Leaving for Boston tomorrow morning. Bill's got San Diego all to himself this week... woo hoo!

Cheers,
Scott

I'm afraid she kept her last name. For the life of me, I can't figure out why we bothered getting married.

Friends do refer to us jointly as "Labrecca".

Just flew in from Logan (via Dallas/Ft. Worth) on Sunday. Just missed ya...

Dave Labrecque
06-19-2007, 01:45 PM
Dave,
Somewhere on this forum I seem to remember something about a 'SAW Studio'.:D
If you simply want to plug a mic in with phantom power, and be really portable, try Bob's suggestion. I did. Just bought the M-Audio Firewire 410. Best advice I ever took from Bob Almighty. It set up quickly and I was recording in no time. Now, my system is a regular small tower, not a laptop, but I was told a lot of things wouldn't work with my chipset, my Media Center OS, and my own nationality, Lithuanian.
I'm down $300, but am happier for it. Doing voiceover work, not music, this is all I need.
With this, the 3G of RAM, the 200G and 120G internal drives, and an external 300G drive, I can run an Eastern block nation.
And, I can do it all without Digidesign, Sound Forge, etc.
And, the world continues to spin!! :D

You are a silly human. ;)

As you may/may not have gathered... I went with the MBox2 Mini for $300, which came with PT LE. I used it (with SAW) last week to do my daily weathercasts from Martha's Vineyard, MA, uploading them via a nice WIFI connection courtesy of a brew joint around the corner from us. :)