PDA

View Full Version : dual monitor laptop?

Scott P
02-06-2007, 02:13 PM
I am currently using a Dell C640 laptop with SAW to do remote work and loving it.

Is there a way to run dual monitors off of a laptop? I can attach an external monitor, but I can only switch from one to the other, not use both.

Thanks!
Scott

DominicPerry
02-06-2007, 02:29 PM
This can be done on the Dell C640. I've just looked at the manual on the Dell website. XP will do it natively. If you have W2K you will have to download some software from Dell to support dual monitors.

Dominic

Scott P
02-06-2007, 02:55 PM
Dominic,

Thanks! I'll take a look and see. I just assumed that I would need some 3rd party software or something. I'm running W2K.

Scott

Dave Tosti-Lane
02-06-2007, 09:32 PM
I am currently using a Dell C640 laptop with SAW to do remote work and loving it.

Is there a way to run dual monitors off of a laptop? I can attach an external monitor, but I can only switch from one to the other, not use both.

Thanks!
Scott

There's this Matrox dual head adaptor that looks interesting -

http://tinyurl.com/yvd52s

This appears to be an update from the original Dual Head2Go that has higher resolution capability.

Dave Tosti-Lane

ghowardjr
02-07-2007, 02:23 AM

Thanks!
Scott

If it's like most laptops, you just need to enable "Extend my windows desktop onto this monitor" option from the display settings. Do this when the external monitor is connected. This will give you the 2nd display as a discrete device. One note of caution: most laptop screen resolutions do not match the external monitor. You will experience weirdness with SAW or any other program in that the boundaries of the screen are not the same as you move your mouse from one screen to the other. You might have to move the mouse "up and over" or "down and over" to get the mouse cursor on the other screen. Also, in the past SAW has only allowed the mixer windows to be resized to the maximum size allowed by the primary monitor. It apparently takes it's window size information from the primary monitor resolution.

It's more ideal to have 2 monitors with same resolution to avoid this.

Hope this helps,
Gary