PDA

View Full Version : headphone monitoring problem

Dingo
09-12-2004, 12:27 PM
Here's what I'm doing:
1.setting the input on track 14 for asio 1/2. This is a mono track so it's just the left input
2. assingning the output to output 2. this is the headphones. I also have aoustic guitar and drums going here. I can hear them fine.
3. hit the rec button and those little windows come up. I assign them properly, I can SEE signal but I can't hear anything. Nothing I seem to do makes it possible to hear the signal that is obviously there through the headphones or the main monitors. I have done this before so I know it's possible.

WTF?

UpTilDawn
09-12-2004, 01:14 PM
Hi Dingo.

I don't know about the rest of the folks here, but I'd only be guessing if I were to tell you what I think you are doing wrong. It would help a great deal if you were to clarify your setup much more than you have in your first post.
For instance:

I also have aoustic guitar and drums going here. I can hear them fine.
1) I assume you mean guitar and drums are going to output 2 for headphones monitoring.... but are they being input at the same time as track 14, or are they tracks you have already recorded and want to hear as you overdub?

If they are overdubs, are you engaging SRP mode to record the new track as you listen to the gtr./drms.?

I can SEE signal but I can't hear anything. Nothing I seem to do makes it possible to hear the signal that is obviously there through the headphones or the main monitors.

2) Are your main monitors on output 1?... and you still can't hear as you try to record, but you are seeing levels on your record meters?

3) Have you muted your outputs?

4) Can you hear playback of recorded tracks in the same session?

5) Do you mean that you can see signal in your record meters, or are you seeing signal in your soundcard's mixer meters as well?

6) What soundcard are you using? Have you made sure that you haven't muted your soundcard's output by accident?

... I realize these seem elementary, but it's only a guess if I tell you what to do without a more specific picture.

My guess is that you need to engage SRP mode to hear what you are recording.... but, someone else with a better idea will have to chime in here I suspect.

Sorry if this doesn't help,
DanT

RobertV
09-12-2004, 03:33 PM
Hi Dingo;

under options / Audio-monitor Switching protocol: try the 2 options, I know I used to have the opposite problem (when overdubbing, still hearing the track underneath)

Not sure but it is somewhere there i think.

Cheers ..Robert V

Bob L
09-12-2004, 08:26 PM
Dingo,

Monitoring can be done in a number of ways... I have detailed this in an earlier thread pretty thouroughly... we are trying to get around to archiving some of this good stuff into other forum threads.

The easiest way to monitor is by using a live signal split... either from a small physical mixing console like a Mackie or Behringer, or from a split off the mic preamp itself... the performer signals feed headphones directly from these signal splits along with the stereo playback from SAWStudio of all previously recorded tracks.

You can also acheive this type of monitoring with the RME Total Mix for Hammerfall DSP cards or the SoundScape Mixtreme mixer for the SoundScape cards.

You also do have the ability on systems that can acheive low latency buffer sizes of 3 x 256 or preferably less to monitor direct through SAWStudio's virtual console.

You do this by assigning virtual channels to the soundcard device inputs and then assign the record tracks/channels to point to those Mixer console channels for their record source.

The recording signals are then taken from the Pre Patch point, which can be moved before or after the channel effects and you can monitor from the main faders, and send headphone mixes from the Aux sends assigned to extra device outs.

Bob L