PDA

View Full Version : Command line support for building mixes.

christopherblood
09-12-2004, 06:18 PM
This is just an idea I had.

When I do an entire project in Saw Studio. I end up with many edit lists, one per song and then a master edit list that creates a sequenced master wave file from all the mixes.

So when I make a change to a mix I need to build mix for each song and then open the master and build mix the whole project. This is not a big deal but I find myself working on a few files in a session and then trying to remember which songs I touched.

It would be nice if the command line of sawstudio could force a build mix to start so that you could use 'make' to automaticly mix the right files and recompile the master. You would need to specify the edit list and the name of the output file and the sample rate and resolution on the command line. The rest could be handled with any make utility and a few rules.

David Hayes
09-12-2004, 07:11 PM
Not A bad idea. Once you were in there adding cmmand line options, you could add one that just opened the EDL.

David Hayes

UpTilDawn
09-12-2004, 07:52 PM
It would be nice if the command line of sawstudio could force a build mix to start so that you could use 'make' to automaticly mix the right files and recompile the master.

Would this be similar to the way that I can overwrite and update jpegs in my cd labeling program with photoshop? I simply open the jpeg in photoshop, edit and save it (overwrite it) without changing the filename and then return to the open cd labeling session which now displays the updated image.

I always thought that'd be a great thing to be able to accomplish with Saw...
Your idea sounds like it would be safer since it would only change and update the file to the specified location.
Cool.

Carey Langille
09-12-2004, 07:59 PM
Doesnt CTRL-S already do this? I update this way and never change the file name...

Bob L
09-12-2004, 08:13 PM
It would seem there would be a lot of room for errors... if the new updated mix was not exactly the same length, you could not effectively only replace that one mix in the middle of one long sequence file...

This still sounds like you are better off doing the process under manual control in my opinion... I'm not sure I want to treat building session mixes like a compiler Make function.

Bob L

christopherblood
09-12-2004, 08:21 PM
It would seem there would be a lot of room for errors... if the new updated mix was not exactly the same length, you could not effectively only replace that one mix in the middle of one long sequence file...

This still sounds like you are better off doing the process under manual control in my opinion... I'm not sure I want to treat building session mixes like a compiler Make function.

Bob L

What about just opening an edl?

Bob L
09-12-2004, 08:27 PM
That has been placed on the ToDo list from a previous discussion.

Bob L