PDA

View Full Version : OT - CCITT u-Law Encoder

bcorkery
03-08-2007, 07:40 PM
I've been asked to encode wave files to CCITT u-Law files. I checked Sound Forge and dbPowerAmp wthout any luck. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Bill

Himhui
03-08-2007, 08:06 PM
This one would help:-

http://www.programurl.com/audio-converter.htm

Ian Alexander
03-08-2007, 09:21 PM
See if you still have a copy of CoolEdit around. I think CoolEdit2000 will do uLaw.

studio-c
03-08-2007, 11:47 PM
Is that those crazy 4k sampling, 4 bit nasty telephony files? There are proprietary programs associated with the hardware that do the conversions I believe. Yucky stuff, but lots of good billable hours of postproduction creating an entire voicemail tree. You go Bill! :)

I'd swear it's doable in SF8, including batch processing of bunches of files.

EDIT: Copied and pasted from sonymediasoftware.com
some formats open-able and save-able in SF8:

AU/SND NeXT/Sun (Java) (PCM, ***181;-Law)
IVC Intervoice (ADPCM, ***181;-Law, A-Law)

Oh, it was Dialogic VOX files I was thinking of. Nassty... You record with your nice Avalon Mic Pre and they want to do what?!?!?!? :)

Cheers,
Scott

bcorkery
03-09-2007, 12:38 AM
You record with your nice Avalon Mic Pre and they want to do what?!?!?!? :)Not to mention the U87 :eek: !

Thanks for all your input.

Stashu - I read that it was a Microsoft format. Never expected the little recording gizmo would do the file conversion.

Ian - never had Cool Edit, I was looking for a copy but after Adobe took it over and couldn't get myself to spend more on it than SSBasic costs.

Himhui - Nice little program. I saw that it's compatible with Windows 2003. I don't think I've ever heard of that one.

bcorkery
03-09-2007, 12:42 AM
Right there in the drop down menu is CCIT u Law, and a ton of other formats :)I'm at home right now but I get nothing in the dropdown list. I'll check tomorrow in the studio. Thanks.

Bruce Callaway
03-09-2007, 03:36 AM
Thanks Stashu......

DominicPerry
03-09-2007, 04:16 AM
I can't hear the difference between CCITT u-LAW and 24bit 96KHz.

No, only joking.:D

Dominic

Angie
03-09-2007, 08:28 AM
Right there in the drop down menu is CCIT u Law, and a ton of other formats, including .mp3 and WMA
Under 'Attributes, you can also change the sampling and bit rates.

Sometimes Bill Gates gives you a freebee. :)

Wow! The things you learn here. :D

bcorkery
03-09-2007, 12:05 PM
Yea, I do have it on my office computer (XP) and studio machine (Win2K) at work. I wonder why I didn't have it at home (XP)?

I mad the conversion and get a .wav extension. Is this expected? I would have thought .u-Law.

OK, I see in "Properties" the u-Law fromating.

Thanks again,
Bill

bcorkery
03-10-2007, 12:22 AM
Thanks Stashu. What was interesting is I had to lower the volume level, bit depth & sample rate on top of the format conversion. And I found that the order of these operations made a difference in the final sound quality ... or lack of in this case.

bcorkery
03-11-2007, 11:30 PM
I have a Gentner and use it alot. I never thought to mix through it, but I do check phone files through it.

Thanks again,
Bill