PDA

View Full Version : Laptop

Gary
03-10-2007, 09:52 AM
Hi All -

I'm looking for an interface for a new laptop/SawStudio setup. I've got a live show to record, probably a 16 track scenario. Anyone have a favorite?

Gary

Mark Stebbeds
03-10-2007, 09:59 AM
Hi All -

I'm looking for an interface for a new laptop/SawStudio setup. I've got a live show to record, probably a 16 track scenario. Anyone have a favorite?

Gary

I continue to recommend the RME CardBus to Digiface with 24 dig in/out to converters of your choice. The Mulitface is another option with built in converters, but fewer channels and less connectivity.

Mark

Gary
03-10-2007, 10:06 AM
I continue to recommend the RME CardBus to Digiface with 24 dig in/out to converters of your choice. The Mulitface is another option with built in converters, but fewer channels and less connectivity.

Mark

Mark - That was my first choice. I could then pull my Aurora 16 out of the studio rack for this live thingy. Thanks for the endorsement!

Gary

Ian Alexander
03-10-2007, 10:37 AM
Mark - That was my first choice. I could then pull my Aurora 16 out of the studio rack for this live thingy. Thanks for the endorsement!

Gary
How do you like the Aurora? Been happy on a LynxONE here for years. Is the Aurora the same kind of almost top-shelf convertors for mid-level money?

lofi studios
03-11-2007, 02:49 PM
:D

Bill Park
03-12-2007, 05:06 AM
If you've only got -A- live show to record, why not just rent something like a RADAR and be done with it? Easy answer. Simple transfers. Cheapest choice.

I've had the Multiface and Digiface for years. If you were to combine a Multiface with one of the little Behringer ADAs that are so popular here, you'd have 16 channels of input. (More if you also can use the coax SPDIF.) I also have a Fireface, but that doesn't solve your problem as cheaply as the Multiface. RME also offers some newer choices in mic pres and converter chioces. There are also inexpensive Terratec options, but I have not kept up on the choices.

The best cards that I have experienced are the RME options and the Lynx options. If I was going for the (low-mid budget) converter quality, I'd buy Lynx. As I prefer to keep my converters seperate from my interfaces, I bought RME.

Bill

Gary
03-12-2007, 08:08 AM
How do you like the Aurora? Been happy on a LynxONE here for years. Is the Aurora the same kind of almost top-shelf convertors for mid-level money?

Ian -

This is my first experience with Lynx. I've traded my Big Ben and Rosetta 200 in and am lovin' the sound of the converters. I've got an AES16 coming to replace the RME HDSP9652 so I can go 192. Can't wait to hear the SAW engine at that rez!

Gary

Gary
03-12-2007, 08:16 AM
If you've only got -A- live show to record, why not just rent something like a RADAR and be done with it? Easy answer. Simple transfers. Cheapest choice.
Bill

Bill -

I didn't mention I also have to track down and track a guitar player from my old band who lives one state over. He's helping finish a CD project so the mountain must go to Mohammed. A good idea though!

Gary

Cary B. Cornett
03-14-2007, 06:20 AM
I'm looking for an interface for a new laptop/SawStudio setup. I've got a live show to record, probably a 16 track scenario. Anyone have a favorite? I keep trying to tell people that laptops for multitrack field recording are overrated. I have been doing live show mixes and recordings with my mini-tower rig. I use an RME HDSP 9652 and a couple of Behringer ADA8000 boxes for 16 I/O channels. Remember that by the time you include mics stands, and cables, the added haulage of the "bigger" computer with external screen is actually trivial.

For my rig, besides the tower case I bring the (6U) rack with converters and other gear, an odd suitcase that holds my flat-panel screen, Behringer BCF2000 fader pack, keyboard, trackball, power and computer cables, headphones, and a few other doodads, my tool bag, a fishing tackle box that holds various adapters and accessories, and a sample case that holds microphone cables. I sometimes also carry a headphone cue system with me. All of this still fits easily behind the rear seat of my minivan.

Please note that, with all of this stuff, the difference between using a laptop and using my mini-tower is exactly ONE additional case, which is only a small difference when you include the other stuff. In exchange for that extra package I get to use a larger display, the full 101-key keyboard (you DO like to use the num-key zoom setup in SS don't you?), a proper trackball, and a computer that I can easily service myself if necessary (with spare parts locally and cheaply available).

Oh, did I mention the added stability of using the HDSP 9652 PCI card instead of the sometimes glitchy Firewire stuff? Or the fact that the cost savings of this setup vs. a Firewire equivalent was enough to pay for the entire computer I built (exclusive of sound card)?

Bill Park
03-14-2007, 07:19 AM
I keep trying to tell people that laptops for multitrack field recording are overrated. ... by the time you include mics stands, and cables, the added haulage of the "bigger" computer with external screen is actually trivial.

"by the time you include mics stands, and cables, the added haulage of the "bigger" computer with external screen is actually trivial..."

I entirely agree with this. If I'm dragging PA, or on tour...

"I keep trying to tell people that laptops for multitrack field recording are overrated.... "

Yes and no. I have no trouble with any of my laptops. In the past I used an RME cardbus card to access the Digiface. (or Multiface when I was lazy.) Doesn't get much more stable than that. For the last year or so I've been using the Fireface. Again NO problems.

In the past I recommended anything other than a laptop for remotes. (Even stand-alones...) Laptops just aren't that rugged... well, the laptop itself is, but all the varuous connecting cables and such aren't all that road-worthy.

I've been using mine though, since the old Sony Viao 500 meg days. I hire in the mic stands, and have them delivered if there are more than just a couple. (Why would I hassle myself to take them out of the studio, when rental and delivery are so cheap?) I can carry the laptop, mics, Fireface, OzMix, headphones, and all cabling in a couple of canvas bags (gotten free from trade shows...) in one trip. I could go on the bus or subway if I had to. There is even room for the Mytek converters, depending upon how many sets of headphones I have to drag along. (Or even if I need multiple headphones and headphone amp.) Different strokes.

Bill

studio-c
03-14-2007, 10:50 PM
The way my location gigs go, I need a laptop. I can carry laptops on the plane in a laptop case, and carry 6 wireless mic receivers in a SKB case that's exactly the carryon limit size 9x14x22. That way none of the expensive fragile stuff is getting tossed around by the airline guys. Actually I have two laptops, one for powerpoint for the show. In the case of a failure I could use the second one to record audio, and scrounge a vanilla laptop from the venue to run powerpoint. And I also carry two iPods for show music/bumpers/"sit down" announcements etc. One iPod is strictly redundant in case of a screw up with the other. I'm a huge believer in redundancy on the road.

I can rent everything else: Mackie mixer, powered speakers on stands, all cabling. The rental is actually cheaper than the excess baggage price if I were to bring it. Cheap...

We've had the discussion before, and I agree it is nice to use a mini-tower, but for my uses just not practical always. I like your serviceability idea. I just have to go for replaceability instead sometimes.

First priority is to have the expensive fragile stuff in my possession at all times, never leaving it to the airlines people. Even with those precautions, the TSA guy once slid my laptop in the plastic tray down the metal detector roller ramp, and it sailed off onto the floor.

My 2c.

Cheers,
Scott