PDA

View Full Version : Dumb question of the day # 2

soundtrack2life
03-17-2007, 03:25 PM
Lately I have really been getting into researching internal summing (and external) on other forums and I keep seeing mention of a "null test" in the DAW what is this and what is it's purpose? TIA :D

Naturally Digital
03-17-2007, 03:36 PM
Lately I have really been getting into researching internal summing (and external) on other forums and I keep seeing mention of a "null test" in the DAW what is this and what is it's purpose? TIA :DJoe, to get an idea of what this is start with a blank edl and load a soundfile onto track 1. Copy/duplicate that region on track 2 and hit play (but watch your levels). Click the rvs phase button on channel 2 and the audio will perfectly cancel out. Now start playing with the EQ or Comp on one of the channels and what you will hear is a 'difference' signal.

Dave Labrecque
03-17-2007, 06:52 PM
Lately I have really been getting into researching internal summing (and external) on other forums and I keep seeing mention of a "null test" in the DAW what is this and what is it's purpose? TIA :D

The null test is often used to test the accuracy (meaning not altering the signal) of a processing chain vs. a non-processed version of the signal. E.g., if you play a file through a DAW, it should completely cancel when that output file is added to a reverse phase version of the file. If complete cancellation does not occur during this "null test", the DAW has altered the signal in some way (degraded it). This is typically frowned upon.